Simplified Chinese Typo/Display Text Errors

Sko0w0

Cowpoke
Hi, I have been informed that the previous font will return, and the new font will remain as an option.
Thank you so much for your kind help! We are so glad to have the original Stardew Valley back :D!!

We appreciate the time and effort you put into this matter. The new translation team lacks professionalism, respect for players, and sufficient understanding of Stardew Valley. As one of the fans who played this game for many years, who put in hundreds of hours, we truly hope the best for the game production team and the forum operators.
As Stardew Valley is already a well-developed game with stable fan base and game content, we hope that the game official will NOT have further cooperation with this unprofessional team in the future.
Thank you again.

Last edited:

闇.幻

Greenhorn
Hello Everyone! Thank you all for your patience and your feedback, translation will be rolled back to 1.6.3 version.
Thank you so much for your kind help! We are so glad to have the original Stardew Valley back :D!!
However, the translation team said, "If any translation corrections are needed, it is recommended to follow projects such as Mod.Does this mean that the translation team is refusing to work and using this action to confront players?

Schnapper

Greenhorn
Thanks for reverting the game translation back to version 1.6.3.

Many of us found the new translation confusing and unnecessary. This change forced many community groups to redo their hints and guides, creating a lot of extra work that could have been avoided.
Players were also getting lost with the new terminology. For instance, yesterday I saw a livestreamwhere, an experienced player couldn't identify a certain fish. She had to ask the audience for help.If she wasn't live streaming, she would spend a lot more time finding the answer.

This is just ONE example of the confusion the new translation caused, especially for long-time players who were coming back to the game after the 1.6 update. The new translation made it harder for them to get back into the game.

The old and new translations have caused division among the player community. The translation team’s reluctance to listen to players' feedback and their tendency to blame players for not understanding the changes have only made things worse, adding tension to what was previously a friendly community.

Anyway, thanks for rolling back to version 1.6.3; it means a lot to us.

daoYe

Greenhorn
关于yam比较无解,这个词本身的定义同时包含了中文意义上的山药和番薯(地瓜,红薯)(the starchy, tuberous root of any of various climbing vines of the genus Dioscorea, cultivated for food in warm regions.)
游戏里看着比较像中文里说的番薯(地瓜,红薯)。NA这边的西人超市我见到的yam大部分是红薯,华人超市里售卖的山药会写是Chinese yam(铁棍山药或者淮山)或者Japanese yam(长芋)番薯既有写yam又有写sweet potato的

属于是历史遗留问题了,所以这次把原本的山药改成薯我持保留态度,但雪山药画得像个萝卜就很难说。

The word "yam" is defined as "the starchy, tuberous root of any of various climbing vines of the genus Dioscorea, cultivated for food in warm regions". It includes both "山药" and "红薯". Additional information for non-Chinese speaker, they look totally different. "山药" looks like a stick. It is brownish white and has no specific taste. "红薯" is oval-shaped. It is brownish red and it tastes sweet(basically what you think what yam is)
In game, it looks like "红薯"(oval-shaped. It is brownish red).
For the new version of Chinese translation, some of "山药" was changed to "红薯". I am neutral on this topic. In real life, when Asian supermarket want to distinguish those, they will specify product origin(like Chinese yam, Japanese yam, etc) for "山药". And for "红薯", they will put either "yam" or "sweet potato".
谢谢,原来如此!看来这些块根块茎植物在国内国外的叫法都是不那么精确的,感觉翻译成红薯可能是更准确一些(后来看了下星露谷日文版也是红薯サツマイモ)。唉,遗留问题确实也很无奈,但愿未来能找到一个比较省心的翻译方案。

群星之尘

Greenhorn
PC Steam v1.6.3

Item name:Sonar Bobber

Eng: Sonar Bobber
Current: 声纳浮漂
Correct: 声呐浮漂

"声呐"&"声纳" are always confusing in Chinese.

"声呐" refers to SONAR, an abbreviation of SOund NAvigation and Ranging, which is an electronic device that uses underwater sound waves to detect, locate and communicate underwater targets. Sonar is the most widely used and important device in underwater acoustics.

"声纳" means Acoustic Susceptacne, a terminology in Physics that many players don't really care.

In addition, Sonar Bobber in game works as "声呐": the hooked fish will be shown before it is caught, so I believe the correct translation should be "声呐浮漂".

Last edited:

蔚白Ayaha

Greenhorn
谢谢,原来如此!看来这些块根块茎植物在国内国外的叫法都是不那么精确的,感觉翻译成红薯可能是更准确一些(后来看了下星露谷日文版也是红薯サツマイモ)。唉,遗留问题确实也很无奈,但愿未来能找到一个比较省心的翻译方案。
个人认为至少不应该违背第一直觉。游戏中的yams是土色的 和山药的固有印象相同 红薯的固有印象难道不是紫红色的外皮吗
编辑:搜了一下、我也不好说了、国内把这些作物分的也不是很清的样子。我这边的认知里土色皮白瓤棍状叫山药or长山药 红色皮白瓤叫红薯。但有人认为红薯是土色皮淡红瓤的 红皮白瓤的反而叫白薯。还有人确实是把土色皮白瓤的薯叫山药的、还有把土豆叫成白薯的、感觉跟国外也大差不差..
要我说分不清干脆翻译成洋薯算了、反正都是舶来品。游戏里已经有土豆就说明这玩意不是土豆、不够长也排除山药、断定成薯类直接叫成洋薯算了。

Last edited:

touroku

Greenhorn
个人认为至少不应该违背第一直觉。游戏中的yams是土色的 和山药的固有印象相同 红薯的固有印象难道不是紫红色的外皮吗
编辑:搜了一下、我也不好说了、国内把这些作物分的也不是很清的样子。我这边的认知里土色皮白瓤棍状叫山药or长山药 红色皮白瓤叫红薯。但有人认为红薯是土色皮淡红瓤的 红皮白瓤的反而叫白薯。还有人确实是把土色皮白瓤的薯叫山药的、还有把土豆叫成白薯的、感觉跟国外也大差不差..
要我说分不清干脆翻译成洋薯算了、反正都是舶来品。游戏里已经有土豆就说明这玩意不是土豆、不够长也排除山药、断定成薯类直接叫成洋薯算了。
感觉听着有点生硬, 而且总有种洋芋的感觉, (虽然游戏里已经有土豆了但还是会感觉怪), 生活中好像也有也有土色皮短圆形薯类, 不如叫甘薯吧, 甜的薯类, 正好拿去拔丝:cool:

蔚白Ayaha

Greenhorn
感觉听着有点生硬, 而且总有种洋芋的感觉, (虽然游戏里已经有土豆了但还是会感觉怪), 生活中好像也有也有土色皮短圆形薯类, 不如叫甘薯吧, 甜的薯类, 正好拿去拔丝:cool:
甘薯甜薯番薯洋薯都可以 反正薯类是定了

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
However, the translation team said, "If any translation corrections are needed, it is recommended to follow projects such as Mod.Does this mean that the translation team is refusing to work and using this action to confront players?
No, the mod recommendation wasn't an official suggestion. While we're reverting the changes, we'll still do our best to improve the translation with a better avenue to listen to the players and not make huge sweeping changes

jiyuxuan

Greenhorn
thank you for all people who made great efforts to express your opinions for Chinese players.thank you for the understanding and support from ConcernedApe and sincere forum staff.I have been playing Stardew Valley for over two hundred hours and we all love it so much.love from China

Joeany

Greenhorn
“群星之尘,帖子:128752,成员:66560” said:
PC Steam v1.6.3 版

产品名称:声呐

工程师: Sonar Bobber
Current: 声纳浮漂
正确:声呐浮漂

“声呐”和“声纳”在中文中总是令人困惑。

"“声呐”是指声呐,是SOund NAvigation and Ranging的缩写,是一种利用水下声波探测、定位和通信水下目标的电子设备。声呐是水声学中使用最广泛和最重要的设备。

"“声纳”的意思是声学怀疑,这是物理学中的一个术语,许多玩家并不真正关心。

此外,Sonar Bobber 在游戏中的工作方式是“声呐”:上钩的鱼在被捕获之前会显示出来,所以我认为正确的翻译应该是“声呐浮漂”。
[/引用]
哇,原来不一样呢,对于我来说可能都一样,并不是很了解,我相信大部分人也一样

zero6six

Newcomer
No, the mod recommendation wasn't an official suggestion. While we're reverting the changes, we'll still do our best to improve the translation with a better avenue to listen to the players and not make huge sweeping changes

I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the translation process for Stardew Valley. As an avid fan and active member of the community, I am eager to understand how translation workflows are managed and explore opportunities for community involvement.

As observed in recent incidents, translations managed without direct player involvement have led to significant dissatisfaction among the community. I would like to offer some humble advice on this matter.

I believe that involving the community could significantly improve the quality of translations. Therefore, I wonder if there is a possibility to officially host the language files on a platform like GitHub. This approach would allow players to directly contribute to translations and assist in identifying and correcting errors, ensuring a more accurate and enjoyable experience for everyone.
If there is no such official plan, may I inquire whether the original text could be hosted on GitHub for the creation of unofficial language packages, and under what license, if any?

Thank you for your time and all the hard work you put into making Stardew Valley accessible and enjoyable. I look forward to your response and am hopeful for a positive consideration of this community-collaborative approach.

蔚白Ayaha

Greenhorn
I hope this message finds you well. I am writing to inquire about the translation process for Stardew Valley. As an avid fan and active member of the community, I am eager to understand how translation workflows are managed and explore opportunities for community involvement.

As observed in recent incidents, translations managed without direct player involvement have led to significant dissatisfaction among the community. I would like to offer some humble advice on this matter.

I believe that involving the community could significantly improve the quality of translations. Therefore, I wonder if there is a possibility to officially host the language files on a platform like GitHub. This approach would allow players to directly contribute to translations and assist in identifying and correcting errors, ensuring a more accurate and enjoyable experience for everyone.
If there is no such official plan, may I inquire whether the original text could be hosted on GitHub for the creation of unofficial language packages, and under what license, if any?

Thank you for your time and all the hard work you put into making Stardew Valley accessible and enjoyable. I look forward to your response and am hopeful for a positive consideration of this community-collaborative approach.
I think it's a good idea to use crowdin

sparksbet

Greenhorn
1. Artichoke Dip 现翻译:水煮洋蓟
材料是牛奶和洋蓟,dip的意思是蘸、浸渍,没有煮的意思。→ “凉拌洋蓟”似乎更加符合原意,但不建议贸然改动。

我的中文不太好,但是我要说明“Artichoke Dip”的意思。你为“dip”所写的界定不错,但是“artichoke dip”中不是凉拌的。在美国“dip”是粘稠的蘸酱,用于蘸咸味点心(chips, pretzels)和脆的蔬菜。“Artichoke dip”含有洋蓟(通常已经煮的罐装的)跟奶酪和其他奶制品。它也经常在烤箱中烘烤。我觉得很难翻译成中文,因为我们的饮食文化存在差异。