Youtube channel advice

This is not to advertise my channel
I think this is the right thread to post this in....

I am the only person I know who plays this game! nobody else even watches Let's Plays about this game! :sweat:
This has caused a bit of a problem. I cannot identify my target audience or even what people are looking for...
How many videos do people want in the playlist???
I am literally just making it in a style I like to watch....
The channel is growing ...... slowly..... so so slowly...... glacially slowly

I keep the episodes to 1 Stardew day, and post about 1 episode a week. I do not show my face nor am I open to doing so. I also don't know much about drawing and have not been able to make a nice looking branding picture. I have been working on one, but it is not finished yet. :sweat:
I am starting to try 2 episodes a week, but am juggling being a homemaker with 2 kids. Sounds easy I know, but 1 kid is now toddler and has more energy than the Energizer Bunny! Homemaking is no joke, the workload never ends! Vacations and days off don't happen! :cry:

I know I am doing something wrong, I just don't know what? :hmm:

On that note I just made an account here and I am new to the community....
Could that be one of the problems?

There are some people who do let's plays but the problem is gonna be competition. The you tuber Dangerously Funny started with vids and live streams eventually show casing mods. You could possibly do mod showcases but it's a hard market to tap as it got saturated similar to Minecraft early in it's release

BlaDe

Farmer
You need something to make you stand out. Getting people to watch is one thing, but getting people to stay is something else.

You need to be entertaining, good, or doing something unique and interesting. Preferably some of each.

Personally, I do unique challenges (see signature), and provide in depth code knowledge. My stream schedule is not the best though, though its the only time I have been able to find.

Getting started as a content creator is difficult.

Thank you for your feed back it really means a lot I will check to see if anyone else has any replies. So far, I mainly started my channel since my daughter loves watching Let's Plays but so many people have an audience base of adults.... Stardew Valley, honestly was the only game I had access to record. I love the game, but the saturation is a massive problem :bored:. And the not-kid-friendly events :petrified:... I am brainstorming that still. Example: Shanes' 2 heart event, it's coming up and I can't cut it out... :petrified:

Thank you for your feed back it really means a lot I will check to see if anyone else has any replies. So far, I mainly started my channel since my daughter loves watching Let's Plays but so many people have an audience base of adults.... Stardew Valley, honestly was the only game I had access to record. I love the game, but the saturation is a massive problem :bored:. And the not-kid-friendly events :petrified:... I am brainstorming that still. Example: Shanes' 2 heart event, it's coming up and I can't cut it out... :petrified:
Hmm. You could always claim it was red bull...it worked for one piece's for kids localization of cigarettes turned into lollipops or Yu-Gi-Oh and the pistols swapped for finger guns

Boo1972

Farmer
How old is your daughter? My 11 year old daughter plays Stardew Valley and if that’s your target age, I could ask her what would interest her.

Of course, she’s currently trying to date all the bachelorettes, and routinely gives Pam clay just to troll her. She may not be your target audience after all. I’m very proud.

Seriously though, my 6 year old likes to watch me play and he’s seen all the heart events. I don’t know what YouTube’s rules are involving content for children, but Stardew Valley seems solidly PG to me. I know alcohol use and abuse is a tricky subject and Shane’s story line is decidedly dark, but kids can handle a lot. I actually think Shane’ssuicide attempt/ suicide ideation is going to be trickier than the alcohol abuse. Kids learn about drugs and alcohol in school very young. Maybe skip Shane’s heart events? Well except for the 8 and 10 heart events.

I would echo the advice that you need to stand out somehow. She doesn’t post anymore but I like Wickedy Chickedy. My son really loves to watch Unsurpassable Z (as a bonus you can watch him get a record with @BlaDe). Most of the YouTubers I like condense 3 or 4 in-game days to a 30-45 minute video. I think they also emote well and can be funny.

I wish you luck! What name do you use on YouTube?

My daughter is 10 and she regularly plays RimWorld so.... Shane's events are no biggy to her!
My channel name is the same as my name here :proud: just so original.... lol

I have not figured out who exactly my target audience would be. The channel mainly came about because my daughter and I like to watch farm sim games together.

I decided to try and relax a bit, I checked out multiple different playlists and I think I started giving myself a hard time over it. Sometimes I can be my own worst enemy! Now I am trying to get back to what the channel is supposed to be which is entertainment. Maybe information thrown in too, but mostly for fun. And remembering to put the word RELAX into my vocabulary from time to time :blush:

As far as gameplay, I am doing it in a style that I like to watch which is 1 day episodes, all on camera. And you do not see my face, that normally distracts me on other people's channels so, if I don't like watching it than I don't want to post it.

Okay, so here is my (editing in-progress) novel on YouTube videos (I dislike watching most unless I have to, or complex visual information is needed, because reading/scanning is often faster or better and many are poorly done).

To me, identifying your target audience has a lot to do with what you are trying to accomplish. To have focused content I'd think you need to ask what is motivating you to create your channel. Are you wanting to:

• Document your journey in-game?
  • Make a learning/helping tool?
  • Test, review/critque the game?
  • Explore every aspect one chapter at a time?
  • Create a fan channel to share your joy?
  • Something else?

Determining this gives a very good idea as to structure and can help to focus and scope the work so it is good, engaging and effective. I tend to watch average folks' things to learn something quick or just relax and dislike and will close a channel when people do the following:

• Poorly label or mislabel content, where the video is only about some (or none) of what it says it is (annoys me so much I will remember the maker's name and NEVER click again).
  • Meander unfocused and present personal exploration stating it is key game informationwhen it really isn't.
    • When in the mood to watch personal stuff I search for and watch it (or am drawn to a dynamic but true titles e.g., "mastering my Stardew coop", if not, these drive me nuts. Personal exploration should somehow be communicated as such.
  • Title boasting needed/important info, then impart only layman's observations where any advanced user already knows more/better information.
    • One time claiming to have "important" information, then wasting my time earns a blacklist lol.
  • Wordless videos (why do audio/video and remove the voice audio??). If I wanted to read words on a screen, I'll go for an article, not a video with bad music--often an instant close.
  • Horrible or too loud music--instant close, especially if combined with voiceless no-narration video.
  • Distracting loud background noises that make me work hard to listen--instant close.
  • A 3-5 minute talking spiel with visuals focused on the same still frame? I scrub the timeline impatiently, if it happens again--instantly close and look for a text article (lectures are for auditoriums, I'm watching to see something, so I should be seeing something of visual value much of the time).
For me it is about respecting people's time, regardless of someone's approach or topic I appreciate well labeled, focused coherency, chunked it into smaller units (if its a learning topic) that cover it concisely with no meandering (unless exploration is the point, which can still have a little structure), so what you see in the title and description are exactly what you get. Throw in some humor, elaboration on one's own gameplay fun, mistakes and/or genuineness and I'm a regular watcher.

So, I appreciate videos that:
  • Are unique.
  • Are labeled well, telling me at a glance exactly what I'm getting by watching.
  • Aggregate only the most interesting, entertaining, relaxing, cute, funny or useful information.
  • Very briefly outline what's to be covered before diving in (confirms I'm watching the right content and author).
  • (If Teaching) coherently break learning content down into into digestible chunks or discreet units, then put them in an order that makes logical sense (could be different video parts or different videos, since there's often pre-requisite and subordinate information for things). In teaching/learning, people often forget there is a hierarchy to information, that hierarchy is important to helping scaffold learning.
    • So say a super concise unit/video on Coops (requirements, upgrading, how it works, how to interact with inside/outside, feeding, rainy/winter days, relation to silos etc), then maybe one on its animals, one on artifacts etc (if a video outline gets too large divide it in two). If it is an entertainment video, show interaction with these aspects if possible, their names, cute stuff.
  • Have some fun exploring or demonstrating, explaining personal mistakes made are fine/interesting.
  • Avoid the annoyances listed.

Symptoms that videos have issues:
  • There are comments telling others users what timestamp to start at (usually because author blathers for several minutes before getting to the video content), or the question the video title said it would answer isn't answered until 5:46! Multiple skips shouldn't be necessary.
  • People ask questions the video title implied would be answered (likely it didn't, was mislabeled, unclear, something made users refuse to watch it all, or it was bait-and-switch-clickbait where what they see is not what they clicked on).
  • People asking for many clarifications (often means pre-req info was skipped or not linked in the video notes). some clarification is great, because it means they want more, too much or too negative is often for the reason above.

In terms of teaching, I have to give the example of wikis. There is a reason wikis function the way they do, they are learning technologies designed to chunk information into discreet units and sequence them in ways that facilitate good teaching and learning. A video outline for teaching is just as useful to structure its content as an essay outline is in writing an essay, or a wiki's headings are in forming a coherent TOC. The section headings of a wiki's page literally manifest its table of contents--that's a clear example of information hierarchy and its importance. A title, subtitle etc is both a wayfinding tool and a recap, ideally it should be used as such so video titles can be thought of similarly. It illustrates why a video title should express exactly what is contained within it, the overall gist of what we get.

Video is another learning technology, each has different strengths and weaknesses that govern when it is best used. Video it is particularly good for storytelling, showing complex actions/motions, giving condensed overviews and recaps that make excellent use of both audio and visuals, and for stringing multiple sequences together and demonstrating them, etc. Drives me crazy when people use it to display dry data like a paper or slideshow (just link to a paper or build a slideshow), or when they ignore the one of the audio or video parts. If they are showing actions or giving a visual overview, great! Splicing scenes or sequences together? Great. Presenting scenes and sequences with visual overviews and well structured ideas and narration? Fantastic. Giving me some personality and/or personal foibles in their own learning and exploration, even cooler.

Yes, everyone can do video, not everyone can do video well. If doing a teaching video. having a coherent outline and goal is often the difference between decent and good. Then making sure to use video's strengthens brings it the extra mile. The people who figure out how to do that (doesn't require a budget and doesn't have to be pro or have no mistakes, just has to be well thought out and dynamic) get my subscription and lots of likes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the information @CryogenCrystals I will definitely do my best to keep these in mind and will reread your comment often.
I know I had audio problems in the first few episodes, but I have since fixed them.
I just want to make entertaining videos, with occasional information. I guess my target audience might be people who just want to relax and watch a farm sim game and they might not enjoy "adult" commentary. I got annoyed with so many good content creators and unsubscribed when they stared cursing in every video and making poor content references that I did not want my daughter hearing about. Bare in mind she plays RimWorld!

I will try to keep these in mind. I sure hope I am not making clickbait; seriously low click rates :sweat:! I have changed my thumbnails and am thinking that binge watching is a thing. So maybe putting up more episodes will help... Maybe :wink:
I have a few returning viewer, the same people every episode. But they don't hit the like button nor do they subscribe :hmm:. It's perplexing because even 1 of those things would tremendously help my channel to get noticed. As is I am insanely grateful that they even found my channel and they keep coming back! I would like to know what they think, but only 1 person ever comments :hmph:.

You're welcome. Thanks for elaborating. Oh entertainment ones are more fun to do, you get more leeway for humor, exploration, fun, chilling and/or excitement! In that case the ones I tend to enjoy for relaxing are ones with a relatable narrative/author and/or funny comments and quirks (but that's just me, it's personal to everyone).

I also enjoy hearing other people's "mission" for the episode up front even if relaxed ("today I'm doing x"), plus their foibles, explorations and mistakes because it remind me that its okay to make mistakes and just enjoy the gameplay. I like watching how other people approach certain tasks and how they decorate too, so when this is shown it can be fun. It's great when someone is going to head to a location, instead of just going there, first show me on the map briefly, then go there. That gives me a better sense of the world if I'm a new or non-player hypnotized by the cool interaction and relaxing play. Works well even for experienced users.

I agree with the swearing part, I dislike ones that swear liberally because there's really not much need for it. You're right, they limit their audience, and unnecessarily.

Sound quality isn't a huge deal as long as the voice isn't competing with too-loud music, dogs barking, or competing with constant loud background static lol. Clickbait is fine as long as what is promised is actually delivered to some degree. It's the ones that don't show any of what was claimed that drive me bonkers (I should have been more specific to avoid the bait and switch, I'll edit to elaborate better). Appealing and exciting titles are great, as long as I'm getting what I clicked.

That's good youre getting more video watches, youre doing something right for sure. I see some videos mention "to get notified of new content, hit subscribe", or "please hit like if you enjoyed the video". Sometimes they do one at the beginning or and one at the end, or do it every other video. As long as folks don't bang that drum too many times or too often, I tend to subscribe. Perhaps that may help with likes and subscribes if you're not already doing such?

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
I watch too much YouTube.

But I watch for the personalities of the people—the game/content is merely the device to deliver the personality, much as the chip is merely the vehicle for the salsa. Mmmmmm saaaalsaaaaa.....

Be as much you as you can be comfortable with. The YTers that go overboard with the yelling and overexcitedness are just grating but I say that 'cuz I'm old. That noise does engage the kids' attention but of course they're only part of any possible audience. Seeing as that's likely not your personality, just give yourself some time to become more comfortable in front of the mic and feel like you're enjoying time with friends. That really seems to come through with the YTers I like.

I am FlyingCatPhillips
Not too creative, I am sure... maybe...

I think I have figured out my target audience.... maybe....
For the last while I have been trying to make better content. Working on my thumbnail and editing skills. I don't want to do too much in game editing but in some cases it's best to edit... Finding a good schedule has been a challenge, but I am confident that my current schedule is good, at least for the moment.
As far as in game alcohol goes, well that's probably not my concern. As a parent I have already talked to my daughter about alcohol for a variety of reasons. So, as a content creator I am trusting parents to do the same. Most of my content cannot be found on youtube kids any way so it's not like a 3 year old will stumble onto the channel without their parents putting it on.

@FlyingCatPhillips

I guess my advice is pretty bad. Not, sure if it could be helpful.
I think it is admirable. I encourage you to keep doing that for the sake of your daughter. My advice is to start a small baby step and learn about yourself more and your daughter/don't be perfect. Flaws are attractive for weird reasons. Don't focus on target audiences –instead, play the game as you usually do.

Also, make sure you use the correct keywords with hashtags and captivating video titles
, e.g. : #daughter-mother, #StarValley, #daughter, #mother, #romancing. #marriage,
you get the ideas.

Avoid cookie-cutting writing like "Let's Play Stardew Valley." I noticed that many people are using these similar titles at YT.

These are examples. Those are captivating and have more clicks.
---> Luigi always wins without doing anything.
---> I might have ruined Stardew Valley
If I was in your shoes, I would say "I find a living hat on my first day at the SV." – add a photo of your surprised face of your farmer wearing a living hat as a thumbail.

As time passes, analyze your data and determine how many people visited your videos.
The real question is, what type of audiences are they?
Age? gender? Country?
Also, attempt to be friends with the audiences and try to learn about them. Don't take that seriously... because I don't want you to endanger your life with creepy people...

You know the rest in the next step.

Last edited:
No advice is bad advice, bad advice is no advice.
If you can understand that...

This basically means that I read a look carefully into all the advice I get and I try to work as much as I am able to in as well. Well as much as I can within reason.
Also, I am prone to getting distracted, staying on task can be challenging 🤔. This problem only seems to exist as bad as what it does for the duration of recording though... That or I just don't notice it as often (need a cat shrugging emoji). That could definitely be it...

As far as analyzing statics on the channel goes, I cannot see who or where people are that are watching from, or even when they are watching. The channel is too small to utilize most of the tools, basically no data = no charts; minimal data = no charts. It's why I asked for that type of commentary earlier on. When that turned up blank I just made a schedule and I am hoping it works and implemented guess-stimation.

While that does sound nice and I get where you are coming from. I also found a massive flaw with not following some of the boring looking and even some of the sounding guidelines.

Such as: I really liked my custom thumbnails that did take a good bit of time to make. But no one clicked on them 😕 . And: The titles are partly designed for the youtube algorithm and partly for the audience. (Also, I had no clue finding the Living Hat was both going to happen, and I did not think it was actually something that was special.) Finding a balance for both of those is really tricky, if I just had to worry about the audience it would probably be easier. But with the algorithm if it's not under the right label than it will simply not show it to people ☹ or show it to the wrong people. Either way it's bad. Learning about how youtube works is definitely the main less than fun part. Like a necessary evil...

Mean while: I am learning more about Stardew Valley, I think it's helping me. It's really fun, most of the time. I get an opportunity to constantly learn and as time progresses people can see how it's, hopefully, getting better. Finding my "style" is still a work in progress, I generally only know how to be me, but it varies widely depending on what's going on.
Sometimes when I am recording I still get people walking in the room, expecting me to drop everything just to hear them say they are heading to town. Normally it's about the 3rd time they have done this and I thought they had left. Yes, I do have a sign that says recording in progress. My daughter made it for me for this very problem. I think people ignore it 🙁. It's mainly 1 person, my husband thinks she is trying to tank the channel. She even sends me online applications for at home jobs, all telemarketing.... Either way, not a very supportive person.... I try to film after they leave for the day...

Before creating the channel I did not use hashtags. Still I don't understand what they are, or why I need them. They are clickable though 😋. Learning more about technology... Or is that social things???? Finding the trending things are not my forte.
Let's face it yesterday I spend 2 hours making 8 homeschool worksheets for pre K just so when my youngest starts "school" I will be prepared.

Also, I am prone to getting distracted, staying on task can be challenging 🤔. This problem only seems to exist as bad as what it does for the duration of recording though... That or I just don't notice it as often (need a cat shrugging emoji). That could definitely be it...
To be honest with you, let's stop judging or shaming ourselves. Society taught us what is lazy or not. Be aware of the burnout and stress culture.
I don't know what is your time schedule. I guess it is clear you are a busy mom with a child. It is evident that when you are a tired person.

The channel is too small to utilize most of the tools, basically no data = no charts; minimal data = no charts.
Uhm, I said "wait after the time passes". Maybe wait couple more months later or reach out 20-40 visitors...

While that does sound nice and I get where you are coming from. I also found a massive flaw with not following some of the boring looking and even some of the sounding guidelines.

Such as: I really liked my custom thumbnails that did take a good bit of time to make. But no one clicked on them 😕 . But with the algorithm if it's not under the right label than it will simply not show it to people ☹ or show it to the wrong people. Either way it's bad. Learning about how youtube works is definitely the main less than fun part. Like a necessary evil...
The Living Hat was the one that stood out the most. Even 90% of us cannot get it...It's true #LIVING-HAT #RARE
The algorithm is a b**ch... I have an idea. Ask the moderator if you are allowed to post an announcement weekly on your new SV video.
I encourage you to keep developing your video and thumbnail editing skills. It takes time I know...Don't give up.

Sometimes when I am recording I still get people walking in the room, expecting me to drop everything just to hear them say they are heading to town. Either way, not a very supportive person.... I try to film after they leave for the day...
Uh oh... GURL... This sounds too personal... Pm me if you need to talk.

Before creating the channel I did not use hashtags. Still I don't understand what they are, or why I need them. They are clickable though 😋. Learning more about technology... Or is that social things????
The hashtags??? Uhm, try to make some research and learn what hashtags are for in details. Knowledge is power.
There are plenty of resources.

For example, I type "pineapple cake in America" in the search bar. This would lead me to a person who has recipes in the video on how to make an American Pineapple Cake.
Why did I type "America" because there are so many type of Pineapple Cakes LOL....
This video tags consist of: "American" "Pineapple" "Cake" "sweet" "pineapple-rings" "upside-down"....You get the idea

Last edited:
Uhm... Gurl... 🥵
I am going to give you a warning before it is too late.
Some of the bachelors are very spicy after marriage...
Yes, you know what I mean...
I recommend developing your relationship with Krobus...–kids friendly

((I am SHOOK that nobody told you this in this thread....))

Last edited: