You disappoint me Willy...

Lew Zealand

Helper
The issue that bothers me just a little bit about Willy's Fishing in-game is that he apparently uses a Bamboo Rod as his casts are all of 1 tile from the shore. Yet at the beginning of the game he mentions he just got a new Rod and wants you to have his old Bamboo one. At least he should get the equivalent of a Fiberglass one. It could even double as a hint that there is better Fishing to come if you stick with it through initial agony.

That said...

I've never seen Willy hook so much as a Sardine outside of the Ice Fishing Contest. Which goes to show you one very important thing:

Willy knows far better how to Fish than the Farmer. The Farmer just makes... honestly an embarrassment of herself putting all this unseemly, shameful effort into Fishing when it's not a job, it's a Pastime. You pass the time with it, dozing at the Docks, lazing below the leaves of your favorite shady late afternoon Tree. Not making a show of yanking an 81" Eel out of the drink or mightily fighting an Octopus for an hour or more. Getting all damp in the process.

Really.

Show yourself some dignity and respect and take it easy with that Rod.

Cuusardo

Farmer
With how long Willy's been running his shop, I don't understand why he doesn't have the best rod available. He'd be paying cost because there's no markup if he's not selling it to anyone else.

Boo1972

Farmer
My theory is that he's actually a pirate and isn't a real fisherman!
I saw a video by Leapalot about the same theory- it helps explain why Willy never seems to catch fish. And he never sells them why? I mean I can get fish from everyone’s favorite sewer dweller but not the resident fisherman? Hmmmm

LRangerR

Local Legend
There have been people that have told me that the fish they bought from Willyeing said, (that i sold to him) was amazing, or...actually terrible...probably...

That being said, I think that willy just likes to appreciate the fish just as much as he likes to catch them. That's my theory anyways...

Boo1972

Farmer
There have been people that have told me that the fish they bought from Willyeing said, (that i sold to him) was amazing, or...actually terrible...probably...

That being said, I think that willy just likes to appreciate the fish just as much as he likes to catch them. That's my theory anyways...
I forgot about this! More proof that something is up with Willy. He only sells fish the farmer catches. Curious. Plus, you fix his boat. It appears to be his only one. Did he lie about being at sea fishing? What was he really up to? Then he charges you 1000g round trip to ride the boat you fixed.. If that’s not piracy I don’t know what is.

Fortunately, Willy is a sweetheart.

hexnessie

Farmer
On that note, is one of the Pirates, the palm grower pirate, a twin brother of Pierre, or is it Pierre himself?

LRangerR

Local Legend
I forgot about this! More proof that something is up with Willy. He only sells fish the farmer catches. Curious. Plus, you fix his boat. It appears to be his only one. Did he lie about being at sea fishing? What was he really up to? Then he charges you 1000g round trip to ride the boat you fixed.. If that’s not piracy I don’t know what is.

Fortunately, Willy is a sweetheart.
1000g is cheap in the stardew world. Inflation is out of control there.

On a side note, i found proof that Willy isn't a pirate. You never see him drinking rum.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Well then... who's portrait will I hand above my bed on my river farm?? And all this time I thought he was more than talk.
May I suggest the only person seen Fishing more often than the Farmer:

Birdie.

Who was married to a... Pirate. Yarrrrr, them scurvy scallywags be infiltratin' th' Gem Seas and Ferrrrrn Islands ever'where...

Random: Pirate Keyboard (one of my all-time faves):