Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Pam

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Penny

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters

Alysha

Farmhand
We all have that one NPC we have a grudge against. I tried to list all of the more commonly disliked ones but tell me if I left someone out.

ArtifactSpot

Of those listed Pierre. But the worst NPC is truly Mr Qi. The only character I don’t just dislike but absolutely can’t stand.

ArtifactSpot

Fair enough, and if you’ve watched the new secret cutscene with him in 1.6 you’ll dislike him even more, it’s kind of scary!
Yep. Traumatizing really. I have countless times been scolded or frowned upon for not living up to unrealistic expectations. I really think CA should have just simply removed the sword glitch if he didn’t like it that much. I would have totally respected that. You can’t get perfection, just see the summit through it anyways. A step too far imho.

NetworkerC

Sodbuster
Could someone explain the Penpen hate to me? She’s currently sat second. Is there something about her that can’t be explained by mental abuse from her mother? Pam herself implies she wasn’t much in the way of learning, in life, and considering the kind of father that Penny had (emphasis on ‘had’), I’m curious to know exactly what is her fault, and hers alone.

Harvey being tied for 3rd puzzles me, too, actually. Sure, he’s a little… Tied to the formality of his job. He’s not exactly cold, though, and he can be very open about why he’s the way he is. Is it because he’s hard to track down for Friendship Points?

Pierre being in the lead, is bang on, though. Surprised Jodi and Haley have none. Thought there’d be someone who hasn’t high-hearted Haley, yet, and maybe I have my head too far in the “Jodi wants to leave her family, and be free” hole?

ArtifactSpot

Could someone explain the Penpen hate to me? She’s currently sat second. Is there something about her that can’t be explained by mental abuse from her mother? Pam herself implies she wasn’t much in the way of learning, in life, and considering the kind of father that Penny had (emphasis on ‘had’), I’m curious to know exactly what is her fault, and hers alone.

Harvey being tied for 3rd puzzles me, too, actually. Sure, he’s a little… Tied to the formality of his job. He’s not exactly cold, though, and he can be very open about why he’s the way he is. Is it because he’s hard to track down for Friendship Points?

Pierre being in the lead, is bang on, though. Surprised Jodi and Haley have none. Thought there’d be someone who hasn’t high-hearted Haley, yet, and maybe I have my head too far in the “Jodi wants to leave her family, and be free” hole?
Totally agree on a penny and Harvey. I always marry Harvey and Penny and I could easily be best friends,

Harvey has a mild to moderate anxiety disorder (I know cause I have one myself and his heart events and marriage dialogue.). Yeah Penny is a bit immature in some ways but she raised herself and still manages to give of herself 3 times a weeks to teach the kids the educational opportunities she had to give herself. Yes she’s abused, abandoned and neglected. Give her a freaking break people. She’s turned out pretty darn good raising herself in her situation and does more for the town than anyone save Harvey. No one else volunteered to teach those children.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alysha

Farmhand

I have never had anything against Penny or Harvey, but they can get a lot of hate so I added them just to see. I think a lot of people don't like Penny's 2 heart event though.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Yep. Traumatizing really. I have countless times been scolded or frowned upon for not living up to unrealistic expectations. I really think CA should have just simply removed the sword glitch if he didn’t like it that much. I would have totally respected that. You can’t get perfection, just see the summit through it anyways. A step too far imho.
It’s more of a joke than actually dislike towards the glitch, he did the same with item ids way back. When you change your name to be one you got a message in chat “CA is mad with you, just kidding, have fun” or smt. He doesn’t actually care about people using glitches in their own games much.

He just likes to mess with the players tbh, and you can just buy perfection now too so people who are against getting it are a tad foolish as there isn’t any difficulty in doing so. Nor is it hard to just looking up a YouTube video.

ArtifactSpot

Yes I know CA meant no harm. I saw it more as he didn’t want us using that glitch anymore and I’m fine with that. It’s just the way it was done. I grew up with a Colonel Father and things were tense as he had great expectations of us sometimes. We (my sister and I) never measured up to his standards. Still to this day. So the whole introduction to perfectionism by Mr Qi in 1.5 almost ruined the game for me. When I saw it was further expanded upon in 1.6 it has made me have great doubts about updating. When I saw that scene with Mr Qi punching you out for cheating I haven’t enjoyed the game as much since. I know I’m sensitive because of my past but I really think that took a joke too far, which can be done. I know he means no harm to anyone, but it still reignited that trauma in me. Again I’m sensitive, but there were less severe ways of telling us to stop.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Nobody else is going to teach them kids the lesson to not cheat so it might as well be Qi!

In all seriousness, I get that it's harmless and you're only hurting your own game experience when you do this, but what happens when they normalize this behavior, and internalize that normalization? Then when do they stop? I used to play a 3 player Co op game and there was a glitch where you could just chill in a spot and never be attacked in melee (40k game, so if you get it you get it). However it would kinda ruin the vibe of the game for everyone else on the team, so sometimes I'd target the players that were doing this. Not always, but usually just the ones who don't know how to play well with others. I get where CA is coming from and I don't really see anything wrong with what hes done. Is it a little heavy handed? Yes, but I guess you can say it's somewhat a metaphor that if you cheat your way to the summit, then perfection does not exist. He could have done a lot of things, but I think a trip to Harvey's is relatively mild.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Oh also my least favorite npc is the alien who escapes from the capsule

And the parrots

Why no ginger folks up there? I would have probably voted for them

ArtifactSpot

Nobody else is going to teach them kids the lesson to not cheat so it might as well be Qi!

In all seriousness, I get that it's harmless and you're only hurting your own game experience when you do this, but what happens when they normalize this behavior, and internalize that normalization? Then when do they stop? I used to play a 3 player Co op game and there was a glitch where you could just chill in a spot and never be attacked in melee (40k game, so if you get it you get it). However it would kinda ruin the vibe of the game for everyone else on the team, so sometimes I'd target the players that were doing this. Not always, but usually just the ones who don't know how to play well with others. I get where CA is coming from and I don't really see anything wrong with what hes done. Is it a little heavy handed? Yes, but I guess you can say it's somewhat a metaphor that if you cheat your way to the summit, then perfection does not exist. He could have done a lot of things, but I think a trip to Harvey's is relatively mild.
It’s not the trip to Harvey’s it’s getting punched out from a raging Mr qi for cheating. It’s a lesson, yes, but way too harsh. Things like this happen irl to real people from real people. Video games are an escape from that reality, not a nightmarish reliving of it. I guess we will have to agree to disagree. Most Stardew fans found it creepy and harsh but funny. For those who live out these things in real life, funny is removed and replaced with traumatizing (or a reliving of real past events.)

Confused

Rancher
Maru. I can't vote for her cause she's not on here...

Wanna know why I don't like her?

Cause nobody ever remembers her-

And if it's not Maru, it's her father. He irritates me.

ArtifactSpot

@ArtifactSpot you are assuming i didnt live out things like this. But we all process trauma differently, that's what makes us people
I’m sorry you’ve gone through these things too. I know we’ve had some similar present day issues, sounds like we may have had similar past issues too. I guess I have more trouble letting go of things. I’ve been in therapy for two decades now. It’s been one thing after another. I’m just sensitive and easily set off by triggers.

Bawby

Planter
I thought for sure Alex and Haley would be tied for first. Glad people are able to see past the "dumb jock" and "mean girl" stereotypes!

nicodeux

Farmer
Fair enough, and if you’ve watched the new secret cutscene with him in 1.6 you’ll dislike him even more, it’s kind of scary!
What cutscene added in 1.6 are you refering to? I've only seen Mr Qi in the night cutscene when he flies on his plane, dropping secret boxes.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
What cutscene added in 1.6 are you refering to? I've only seen Mr Qi in the night cutscene when he flies on his plane, dropping secret boxes.
It’s the secret cutscene, you have to sneak up to the summit before perfection, with a mod or out of bounds glitch