Witch visits

PookieDoodle

Rancher
This has happened twice on my current playthrough. I get the cutscene where the witch visits my farm. But both times afterwards my chickens are still just regular ol' chickens. Any idea why it's not triggering?

Sevalisa

Cowpoke
The witch doesn't change your chickens, she leaves one void egg somewhere, and you can hatch it to get void chickens.

She only changes the slimes in the slime hutch
Ahhhhhhhhhhh now I know why all my slimes are black!!!! I went in there and was like whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy!! I mean they look cute black too, but I'd just gotten a purple one and was like noooooo...

haywud

Farmhand
Ahhhhhhhhhhh now I know why all my slimes are black!!!! I went in there and was like whhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhy!! I mean they look cute black too, but I'd just gotten a purple one and was like noooooo...
I've been wanting to get some of those black slimes for a while now, but so far the only witch event I've seen is the one where it leaves the void egg in my coop. I've actually been avoiding using several of the slime eggs I've found just in hopes the witch event will happen, but so far no luck and the eggs just sit in storage.

@PookieDoodle If all you want is a void chicken, you can buy an egg from Krobus if you've opened up the area that they're in. It's probably the easiest way to get one, or at least I think so anyway.

Sevalisa

Cowpoke
I've been wanting to get some of those black slimes for a while now, but so far the only witch event I've seen is the one where it leaves the void egg in my coop. I've actually been avoiding using several of the slime eggs I've found just in hopes the witch event will happen, but so far no luck and the eggs just sit in storage.
Hopefully the SDV gods will grant you the witch and black slimes soon! :dust:

Sevalisa

Cowpoke
I'm currently raising slimes... Is there any actual benefit to black slimes?
To be quite honest I have no idea... only that they are black and it's the first time Witchy-poo has made my slimes black. Someone else may know the answer though :proud:

Hill Myna

Farmer
I'm currently raising slimes... Is there any actual benefit to black slimes?
To be quite honest I have no idea... only that they are black and it's the first time Witchy-poo has made my slimes black. Someone else may know the answer though :proud:
No, there isn't any real advantage. They keep the exact properties as the slime they replace, only the colour changes. This could be annoying in certain circumstances, but otherwise doesn't really matter.

Also, if you don't want it to happen at all, you can place a Wicked Statue anywhere in your Slime Hutch. I assume you need one per Hutch, but I've never had more than one Hutch.

I hope this clears any confusion!

imnvs

Local Legend
I've never felt the desire to do a slime hutch and raise slimes, so I am not an expert... but as far as I understand, you can not get black eggs, and you can only get the same color egg as the slime. This leads me to suspect that once your slimes are turned black, that you can no longer get slime eggs from them.

Linkedwulf

Greenhorn
I've never felt the desire to do a slime hutch and raise slimes, so I am not an expert... but as far as I understand, you can not get black eggs, and you can only get the same color egg as the slime. This leads me to suspect that once your slimes are turned black, that you can no longer get slime eggs from them.
Slimes themselves don't lay eggs. You get them either as drop by killing slimes or by using the egg-press.

I think the only thing that changes are their appearance and that they drop coal when killed instead of other loot. Otherwise they should be mechanically identical.

imnvs

Local Legend
Slimes themselves don't lay eggs. You get them either as drop by killing slimes or by using the egg-press.

I think the only thing that changes are their appearance and that they drop coal when killed instead of other loot. Otherwise they should be mechanically identical.
Well, yes... but isn't this kinda what I said? I never said they were laying eggs. You just get coal instead of slime eggs when killing them.

Boo1972

Farmer
@imnvs is right- you only get drops from your slimes after you kill them. Black slimes drop coal. I’m always short of coal, so I probably wouldn’t mind a hutch full of black slimes.

The real downside to having all black slimes is breeding different colors. I think black slimes will only produce black slime babies. You would have to kill a few then hatch some different colors for an effective breeding program. My tiger slime/ green slime combo eventually gave me pure white slimes. And pure white slimes will drop diamonds. Separating them all to ensure an all white family line was too difficult (and now that I see this in writing probably morally fraught) so I just slaughtered the lot of them and destroyed the hutch.

jalexs

Newcomer
@imnvs is right- you only get drops from your slimes after you kill them. Black slimes drop coal. I’m always short of coal, so I probably wouldn’t mind a hutch full of black slimes.

The real downside to having all black slimes is breeding different colors. I think black slimes will only produce black slime babies. You would have to kill a few then hatch some different colors for an effective breeding program. My tiger slime/ green slime combo eventually gave me pure white slimes. And pure white slimes will drop diamonds. Separating them all to ensure an all white family line was too difficult (and now that I see this in writing probably morally fraught) so I just slaughtered the lot of them and destroyed the hutch.
Coal you say? Well that's not useless, but in my "not allowed to plant things" playthrough I'm drowning in coal.

I planned on converting the greenhouse into a white slime spawning zone for diamonds already. I assume the witch wont convert slimes that aren't in a hutch.

nicodeux

Farmer
I planned on converting the greenhouse into a white slime spawning zone for diamonds already. I assume the witch wont convert slimes that aren't in a hutch.
The witch event only targets coop or hutch buildings. Only one per event.
Though I've never tried doing so, I assume that using a slime incubator in the greenhouse could allow you to raise white slimes there safely.

Also if the transformation of colored slimes into black ones by the witch is your only concern for not raising them in a hutch, there is a way to protect your slimes permanently from the witch curse.
But from what I understand, you are also looking for an alternate usage for the greenhouse.

Boo1972

Farmer
Coal you say? Well that's not useless, but in my "not allowed to plant things" playthrough I'm drowning in coal.

I’d be interested in hearing how your white slime spawning zone goes. Breeding slimes can be frustrating. I enjoyed the variety I got from letting them do their own thing, so to speak, but separating them out by color just squashed the fun out of slime breeding. It’s so hard to make them do what you want. I may let them run wild in the quarry someday.