Who's the owner of Ginger Island?

The parrot practiced capitalism and sold some part of the land.
The farmer bought it with golden walnuts from the parrots.
Therefore, the farmer owned it legally...
The end

Last edited:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Let's see....

Willy needs someone to fix his boat. Even though he already has a boat as he spends cold nights fishing out on the ocean. Suspi-ki-ous. The Farmer is a sucker for new game content ehm, Community Involvement and complies as she has Iridium coming out of her statue's ears and just like that, she has an oceangoing vessel.

Still owned by someone else who's charging her for the pleasure of using that very same conveyance she just fixed. OMG I love capitalism. How can you not?
Such exploitation
doge.jpg
, I want in on this hustle. Sadly, not only are you excluded but there's a greater hustle coming right up.

Upon landing on an island, you find a captive currency with no exchange rate. This will make it difficult to own the island and soon enough you see that there are already some human squatters extant, as well as flying ex-dinosaurs making offers you can't refuse, using currency you have to find entirely locally. You know they're setting you up but what can you do but go along with it? And here we have the answer to ownership.

The island has been abandoned for many years, based on its current state of disrepair, this suggests a lack of or a longstanding disinterest in anyone being the owner (hmm, I wonder why cough Parrots...). The squatters who have been there for many years now have a reasonable claim to the island as they have improved it in the small ways suitable to their existence and preference and left the rest to return to nature. The Parrots likely have no legal recourse as they failed to anticipate evolving thumbs in order to sign legal documents.

Willy is disinterested as the only house he can tolerate is one set out over the water and more than 6 hours on even a small island gives him anaquaphobia.

So it's every bit the Farmer's island as anyone else's as she is merely the most recent squatter. The other human residents could complain about her but they don't and the Farmer hopefully shares the occasional Shell with Birdie or Mango with Leo, if only to bribe them into silence.

Hey, when in Rome...

As far as the island goes you have several parties that could contest ownership
1. Birdie as the oldest human resident she has possible squatters rights
2. Leo and the parrots. The parrot clan is sapient and have a human relative
3. The pirates. While possibly illegal (unless they are Jake and Neverland type) they have a possible historical use of the island and would have mooring rights
4. Professor Snail. He has been on the island and may have been granted fair use by Fern Gill Islands
5. The volcano dwarf. While they may not understand private property the caverns are littered with artifacts of his ancestors.
6. The Bomba Frog. He has been during multiple farms and misses the harvest. He is sapient and may have a claim.
7. The farmer. If adverse possessor is a thing in SDV then all your farmer had to do was move in and proven that he improved the property. He established a plantation and also a resort area. While the labor may have been preformed by a native he still organized and purchased materials or gather by himself.

Honestly the farmer would be the defaulted party for ownership in the eyes of most real-world countries however natives would still own there domiciles and the pirates would still have their cove which the have proven they are a resident of

Last edited:

Sigrah

Farmer
Doesn’t matter who owns it, I’m still turning it into a parking lot and selling it to Joja Corp as my last official act as mayor before resigning in disgrace because the villagers found out I blew the town taxes on a solid iridium statue of myself.

If Birdie, Leo, or the parrots want to make an issue of it, they can either leave, or they can go get those lovely Joja blue uniforms and practice saying “Welcome to Joja Mart”. Well, the parrots can, there’s no way Joja is going to hire Birdie or Leo when they find out the parrots will literally work for walnuts.

Doesn’t matter who owns it, I’m still turning it into a parking lot and selling it to Joja Corp as my last official act as mayor before resigning in disgrace because the villagers found out I blew the town taxes on a solid iridium statue of myself.

If Birdie, Leo, or the parrots want to make an issue of it, they can either leave, or they can go get those lovely Joja blue uniforms and practice saying “Welcome to Joja Mart”. Well, the parrots can, there’s no way Joja is going to hire Birdie or Leo when they find out the parrots will literally work for walnuts.
This is a sad commentary on Nestlé and rights of indigenous people!

I find it a bit disturbing that we built a hut for tourism. I hope our villagers are not bothering people like Byrdie, pirates, Leo, and mermaids.
Fortunately, they were not...

If it was real life, it would disturb the natural habitat of animals and indigenous people.
More more people come to visit for Instagram and destroy nature.

Not pretty fond of hyper tourism and consumerism in today's world. –Think pollution and the amount of trash laying on the beach.
Plus, people wear sunscreens that are discoloring the corals.
In the game, I am glad we have a small number of tourists which is FINE... I am crossing my fingers that we do not want to add numbers. Please don't bring people from Zuzu City.

Last edited: