which one is better ancient fruit or star fruit to earn money?

Godkin

Planter
Ancient Fruit Grapes are a much better choice than Starfruit Grapes: Less maintenance (because you don't need to replant), less input costs (because you don't need to replant), and regrowth time on Ancient Fruit is six or seven days , so it will offset your kegs much better and result in less "down time".

The 225g more you get for starfruit grapes compared to ancient fruit grapes is not worth the replanting time and hassle, starfruit seeds alone cost 400g making it a net loss, not to mention the ancient fruit regrows in 8 days compared to 13 days for starfruit.

21450 is better in the long run. This becomes more noticeable after the third or fourth harvest because it is different each time.

imnvs

Local Legend
Be an agriculturalist and use only the best speed fertilizer (Hyper Speed Gro) and starfruit pop every 7 days, just like ancient fruit. The seeds also only cost 200g, not 400g.

Starfruit wine, if you age it, is worth 4.5k. Ancient fruit seeds are essentially free, and their wine aged is worth 3.3k. That 200 cost for the startfruit seeds brings the increase in profit down by 1k... but starfruit is still better for cash gain, hands down.

Since presumably you'd be doing this in the greenhouse or on Ginger Island, you don't need to get the HSG you need for every starfruit plant. Additionally, if you literally fill your cellar with as many casks as possible, 20 starfruit harvested 1/week will keep it busy 100% of the time.

Lew Zealand

Helper
If you want max g: Starfruit
If you want eeeeeeasy: Ancient Fruit (the best option for me and my lazy schedule)

Starfruit is better for money especially with the speed buffs imnvs mentions but it demands more effort to replant (and occasionally to buy Seeds), so I find the increased g income not to be worth the maintenance time cost. But that's a my-brain thing. Also reharvesting Ancient Fruit once a week matches up with a consistent weekly schedule both for harvesting and changing out Wine in the cellar without needing those harvesting speed buffs for Starfruit.

And by the time I'm maxing out Ancient Fruit, I'm usually not so short of g that spending time on the Starfruit upgrade makes any discernible improvement.

As always, the answer is: It Depends.

Specifically, it depends on what lengths you are willing to go to, and what you are willing to invest.

Without using any fertilizer or shenanigans, Ancient Fruit wins out, plus is an easy one-day workweek. This is what most people go by because it is simple, and it just works.

However, it is theoretically possible to push starfruit to a technically more profitable position than ancient fruit but the costs are excessive and honestly probably not worth the investment. First off, it requires Hyper Speed-Gro, which itself requires a Solar Essence, three Bone Fragments, and a Radioactive Ore to craft. Now, Radioactive Ore can *ONLY* be obtained manually during Qi Challenges, which means you're going to be spending most of your time farming for the radioactive ore to make enough HSG to be capable of actualizing the theoretical yields.

The other problem with the proposed 'Starfruit can get better' is 'use agriculturalist instead of artisan'. Which is fine... until you realize that means losing that 40% flat bonus on your profit margin because you're NOT using Artisan. And if you want to use the statue in the sewer to hot-swap them out, that's an extra 20k a *week* you'll be spending micro-managing your perks, and any timing screw ups means it is all for naught anyway.

So, technically? Yes, Starfruit can *technically* get more profitable than ancient fruit. Not more profitable than Hops or fruit trees in a greenhouse can, but more profitable than ancient fruit, at least in a greenhouse or during the one month that they grow outside. If you're willing to be constantly grinding Qi Quests to keep yourself in the fertilizer needed, which also means you can't use the water retaining soil and thus actually need sprinklers by the way, and willing to settle for no Artisan bonus or a hell of a lot of micromanaging and spending of money on the perk reset statue every week.

But honestly? Just stick with Ancient Fruit. And if you're talking about not in a greenhouse, then Ancient Fruit wins anyway simply because it grows three out of the four seasons. You can have fields of hundreds of Ancient Fruit growing outside from Spring to Fall.

You can get Ancient Fruit up and running before the end of the first year, and even before you complete the entire Community Center. You need to complete a lot more content for the stuff needed to make Starfruit theoretically more profitable. You need to complete the post-CC questline, build Willy's boat, complete all of the Ginger Island content, then start doing Qi Quests to unlock the recipe and to obtain the ingredients needed.

So it depends on how much trouble you want to go through in order to start getting return on your investment. For myself, I don't consider the marginal profit increase worth the investment, but YMMV.

Elenna101

Farmer
The other problem with the proposed 'Starfruit can get better' is 'use agriculturalist instead of artisan'. Which is fine... until you realize that means losing that 40% flat bonus on your profit margin because you're NOT using Artisan. And if you want to use the statue in the sewer to hot-swap them out, that's an extra 20k a *week* you'll be spending micro-managing your perks, and any timing screw ups means it is all for naught anyway.
ch trouble you want to go through in order to start getting return on your investment. For myself, I don't consider the marginal profit increase worth the investment, but YMMV.
Why would you do it every week? This is a late-game strategy anyways, you can save up all your wine for weeks or months and then swap and sell it all at once.
That being said, I agree it's not necessary to go to all that effort unless you're actually min-maxing very hard.

Oh, crap. I looked at the wrong number.

Still, my point stands. Your profit is still 800g more with starfruit despite that cost.
Actually... not.

Let's say you do your thing, somehow manage to handwave the HSG and use Agriculturalist to have weekly yields. Starfruit wine sells for 2,250g/ea. And because you're using Agriculturalist and not Artisan, that's what you get. Subtract 400g for the seed, and you come up with 1,850g/wk/crop

Ancient fruit wine sells for 2,310g with Artisan, since you're not using Agriculturalist. Net yield 2,310g/wk/crop.

Last I checked, 1,850 is less than 2,310.

Jayamos

Farmer
My current farm has Ancient Fruit in the greenhouse and 2 crops of Starfruit in summer, and a basement with enough casks to process the Starfruit wine to iridium quality before the next summer’s Starfruit crop. Artisan perk, no fertilizer. Because why be either-or when you can be both-and? :smug:

MissDandy

Farmer
at least in a greenhouse or during the one month that they grow outside.
That's why you would use the island when taking all that into account. Even if it's 'late game', the boat is not that hard to unlock. And when you're talking huge profit and large-scale crop yields, you're probably past that point in the game anyway. If you play for long enough I really wouldn't say getting all that stuff set up on the island is a huge deal. So I really don't think the argument that starfruit grows for one season and ancient fruit grows for three means anything at all in the general argument of which can be more profitable in the long run.

Last edited:
That's why you would use the island when taking all that into account. Even if it's 'late game', the boat is not that hard to unlock. And when you're talking huge profit and large-scale crop yields, you're probably past that point in the game anyway. If you play for long enough I really wouldn't say getting all that stuff set up on the island is a huge deal. So I really don't think the argument that starfruit grows for one season and ancient fruit grows for three means anything at all in the general argument of which can be more profitable in the long run.
I generally have it all set up before completing the Community Center in the first year. To each their own, I suppose. By the time Ginger Island unlocks, I've already generally got more money than I know what to do with, already have the Golden Clock, already have the Rod of Return, already have all of the pre-Ginger Island equipment. Setting up such a micromanagement heavy strategy after that point seems tiresome to me.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Re: obtaining radioactive ore

I found it was actually not that hard to get radioactive ore if I just took the dangerous mines quest once, used staircases to get down to level 120, and then left the regular mines on the dangerous setting from there on out. Whenever I wanted some to craft more stuff, I'd just go bash up some monsters until I had enough.

Sigrah

Farmer
Actually... not.

Let's say you do your thing, somehow manage to handwave the HSG and use Agriculturalist to have weekly yields. Starfruit wine sells for 2,250g/ea. And because you're using Agriculturalist and not Artisan, that's what you get. Subtract 400g for the seed, and you come up with 1,850g/wk/crop

Ancient fruit wine sells for 2,310g with Artisan, since you're not using Agriculturalist. Net yield 2,310g/wk/crop.

Last I checked, 1,850 is less than 2,310.
That's true unless you horde a bunch of wine, pay the 10,000g to the statue of uncertainty to switch from agriculturalist to artisan, dump all that wine, then pay 10,000g again to switch back to agriculturalist and repeat the cycle.

Me personally, I just keep it simple by growing ancient fruit on the main farm from Spring to Fall while my island plantation and green house grow starfruit year round. Too much effort to do that kind of min/maxing.

LindaAshby

Greenhorn
As always, the answer is: It Depends.

Specifically, it depends on what lengths you are willing to go to, and what you are willing to invest.

Without using any fertilizer or shenanigans, Ancient Fruit wins out, plus is an easy one-day workweek. This is what most people go by because it is simple, and it just works.

However, it is theoretically possible to push starfruit to a technically more profitable position than ancient fruit but the costs are excessive and honestly probably not worth the investment. First off, it requires Hyper Speed-Gro, which itself requires a Solar Essence, three Bone Fragments, and a Radioactive Ore to craft. Now, Radioactive Ore can *ONLY* be obtained manually during Qi Challenges, which means you're going to be spending most of your time farming for the radioactive ore to make enough HSG to be capable of actualizing the theoretical yields.

So, technically? Yes, Starfruit can *technically* get more profitable than ancient fruit. Not more profitable than Hops or fruit trees in a greenhouse can, but more profitable than ancient fruit, at least in a greenhouse or during the one month that they grow outside. If you're willing to be constantly grinding Qi Quests to keep yourself in the fertilizer needed, which also means you can't use the water retaining soil and thus actually need sprinklers by the way, and willing to settle for no Artisan bonus or a hell of a lot of micromanaging and spending of money on the perk reset statue every week.

But honestly? Just stick with Ancient Fruit. And if you're talking about not in a greenhouse, then Ancient Fruit wins anyway simply because it grows three out of the four seasons. You can have fields of hundreds of Ancient Fruit growing outside from Spring to Fall.

You can get Ancient Fruit up and running before the end of the first year, and even before you complete the entire Community Center. You need to complete a lot more content for the stuff needed to make Starfruit theoretically more profitable. You need to complete the post-CC questline, build Willy's boat, complete all of the Ginger Island content, then start doing Qi Quests to unlock the recipe and to obtain the ingredients needed.

So it depends on how much trouble you want to go through in order to start getting return on your investment. For myself, I don't consider the marginal profit increase worth the investment, but YMMV.

Thank you sir for the advice, it is very helpful. I will keep it in my mind. By the way, if anyone over here wants to know about credit card cash advance then you can simply visit https://fitmymoney.com/credit-card-cash-advance/ here where you will find all the information related to credit cards. I like to help and that is why I am sharing this information with all of you.
Thank you sir for the advice, it is very helpful. I will keep it in my mind. :)

Last edited:
Ancient Fruit Grapes are a much better choice than Starfruit Grapes: Less maintenance (because you don't need to replant), less input costs (because you don't need to replant), and regrowth time on Ancient Fruit is six or seven days , so it will offset your kegs much better and result in less "down time".

The 225g more you get for starfruit grapes compared to ancient fruit grapes is not worth the replanting time and hassle, starfruit seeds alone cost 400g making it a net loss, not to mention the ancient fruit regrows in 8 days compared to 13 days for starfruit.

21450 is better in the long run. This becomes more noticeable after the third or fourth harvest because it is different each time.
allover ancient fruit is the most profiitable crop/fruit you can grow (researched that more than one time because i was curious too). keep in mind that ancient fruit grows in spring, summer and fall. without planting new seeds, saves a lot of time. with deluxe speed gro (25%) and the agriculturist profession (10%) you can save more time too

Godkin

Planter
The initial conclusion is that it really depends.
in general, ancient fruits are a profitable crop choice because they can grow throughout the spring, summer, and fall without the need to plant new seeds. Using the best fertilizers like Hyper Speed Gro and caring for your plants wisely can increase your harvest efficiency and profit. Although the seeds of the ancient fruit are free, the star fruit grape has a higher selling value. However, the choice between the two depends on preference and land setting. Given the available space, star fruit can be a smart choice for stable economic gains.