What's your record for most blackberries or salmonberries in one season?

NullObjects

Tiller
Hmm.

From a quick look at the code with no in-game testing, I can tell that there is no reference to dailyLuck.

I have found 2 places that set whether there is a salmonberry/blackberry on a bush. One is the overnight update which is a flat 20% per bush, unseeded.

The other is on a method called loadSprite. For a bush, this is called on a season transition, but it is also called when a save is loaded. This call is seeded (uses the gameID), and is a 50% chance.

In theory, you would get more salmonberries by quitting and loading to file every day in salmonberry/blackberry season.

@One More Day @Elenna101 did you remember if this was in one session or if you loaded from save?
Hm, that Is interesting. Because when I pick berries, I always do it between other (non-game) things and thus each day is always from a loaded save. A bit too dull to pick berries multiple game-days in one sitting. >.>

In theory, you would get more salmonberries by quitting and loading to file every day in salmonberry/blackberry season.

@One More Day @Elenna101 did you remember if this was in one session or if you loaded from save?
Hmm, I knew you got different salmomberry spawns when you reloaded, but I didn't know you got such a massively increased probability of them spawning. I just assumed it was the same probability as a normal overnight.

And from the way you just described the code, it seems like once you do a reload, it makes no difference how often you reload, you'll always get the same spawns, because it is seeded.

As for this run, I almost certainly reloaded every day. Nowadays I don't often play more than a single day at a time any more. Unless I sit down for a session and attempt a speedrun, I tend to just grab 15 to 20 minutes play here and there when I can, which is why it took me maybe two weeks IRL to do this. This explains why I got so many berries.

nicodeux

Farmer
Last week, I got around a thousand blackberries during the four days season.

It was with a farmer focused on foraging, so I prepared for these four days:
- Forest farm for extra bushes to shake
- Foraging is at level 10 with the botanist skill (that one does not change the amount of berries, only their quality)
- I cooked a handful of pancakes (four are enough as one lasts enough for one day, but I made some extra just in case). With the level 10 foraging and the +2 buff, that means four berries per bush, all of iridium quality
- I brewed a got pile of coffees
- I prepared the routine on my farm so I have mimimal tasks to perform during the blackberries season

Then, hop onto the horse, run through the country with the pancake and coffee buffs on and shake all the blackberries bushes that were spawn that day. Rince and repeat for the three following days. I even had the time to drop by the town and saloon to say hi and give a few gifts.

LRangerR

Local Legend
- I cooked a handful of pancakes (four are enough as one lasts enough for one day, but I made some extra just in case). With the level 10 foraging and the +2 buff, that means four berries per bush, all of iridium quality
At that point in the game is there a difference between +2 and +3 Foraging when it comes to berries?

nicodeux

Farmer
You get one additional berry every fourth level of foraging. So having level 12 or 13 (base level 10 + 2 or 3 with buff) grants the same amount of berries.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hmm.

From a quick look at the code with no in-game testing, I can tell that there is no reference to dailyLuck.

I have found 2 places that set whether there is a salmonberry/blackberry on a bush. One is the overnight update which is a flat 20% per bush, unseeded.

The other is on a method called loadSprite. For a bush, this is called on a season transition, but it is also called when a save is loaded. This call is seeded (uses the gameID), and is a 50% chance.

OK, this may explain some things I noticed with berry bush spawns but never quite put together. Specifically that some days seemed way better for populated berry bushes than others. Likely the 'bad' days were next day plays and the 'good' days were reloaded saves. I plan to utterly abuse this mechanic the next berry season.

But luckily for me, I'll forget to do this by then and just move along, nothing to see here...

hexnessie

Farmer
My experiment with Burger/Coffee had an enormously bountiful day 1 - when I found nearly half of the total 800 blueberries (375 I think), and the remaining three days each gave less and less.

So if I reload each day, I should be able to get more berries. I will test this on salmonberries come spring.

OMG, I love statistical berry picking with extra burgers!

Elenna101

Farmer
I just hit salmonberry season in my current farm, so I decided to see what I could get with foraging 12 (level 10 + pancakes) and doing a full run of checking the bushes every day. I skipped out on the ones on the right side of the mines for three of the days, mostly out of laziness - I forgot I had the quarry open and didn't want to walk there and back. Otherwise I checked every bush, including the railroad and secret woods. I'm on the Four Corners farm so there's also 5 berry bushes on the farm itself.

I only got ~750 berries, less than @One More Day got with Farming 8. Of course there's more bushes on the forest farm, but still, I definitely got unlucky with the bushes spawning berries. On the 15th and 17th especially I was surprised at how few bushes had berries on them.
Anyone know what affects whether berries spawn? Is it just random? I think I've seen someone say somewhere that it's affected by daily luck, but not sure if that was backed up by checking the code or anything, or just a guess. It's not listed on the wiki's list of things affected by luck.
In comparison, I just went around the entire map every day of blackberry season, with Foraging 12 from pancakes, reloading before each day. I got 1348 blackberries total (the individual days had 380, 296, 380 again, and 292). Exiting to title definitely makes a difference!

Lew Zealand

Helper
It'll be Salmonberry season in a week and I'm at Foraging 10. I'll make some Pancakes and try this out in Spring and will certainly get fewer than Elenna101 as I simply lack the dedication, but I'd like to see what a casual focus on 'berries can get you while, say, also giving Gifts (which you need to cross the map doing anyways).

Getting enough of these (1348 seems to have crossed the 'enough' line) would make it worth it to have a dedicated keybind to eat Salmon- or Black-berries for Mine/Cavern/Dungeon runs. Not '1' and then right click, but a single keystroke to eat what's in, say slot 1 or 12. That's a mod I'd love.

hexnessie

Farmer
I'm also getting about 350-370 berries per day with these tactics. Even in Year 1, without any boosts, I was able to pick up enough salmonberries in the spring to last me, well, I don't think I've ever run out.

With foraging 10 + food boosts, all I need is to spend 1 day per year foraging for berries instead of 8. 370 berries is really quite enough for fighting & whenever I need extra energy on the beach farm.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hey I finally tried this today with Salmonberries in Spring, qutting and reloading before starting the next day. Foraging Level 10 + Pancakes for Foraging Level 13. Totals and notes:

Day 1: 308, I think I did all of the map but maybe not?
Day 2: 300, did most of the map but not the North pass, Mountains, Train Crossing or East of the River, had other things to do
Day 3: 168, had other things planned, only did Cindersap at the end of the day
Day 4: 379, did 100% of the map, clearly missed one pickup (in Secret Woods)!

Day 4's spawn rate was pretty high but a few spots were still barren.

1155 Total, worth 34,650g with Bear's Knowledge. Not worth the g by this time in game as even a minimally Farming layabout like myself can clear that in a day or so wasting far less time and effort with some Kegs, Truffle Oil thingys, and a couple of Mayo and Cheez Presses.

However. My friends.

With a bit of time in a Keg, these will keep husband Harvey a very happy man for the next 40 years. :harvey:

Tested this tonight. Reloading the save generates A LOT more salmonberries.
OK, on a related note (and I've no idea why this came to me a fortnight after this thread died)

If you don't harvest a bush on the day a berry appears, does the berry stay on the bush until bedtime on the 18th? Or are they all wiped each night? If they did stay around, and you didn't want to go all round the map each day, you could just leave it until the last day and still get a fairly decent harvest from a single circuit of the valley. I'm not even slightly knowledgeable about code, so I can't dive into it, and I can't actually do a run and test this qualitatively right now, because I'm at work.

imnvs

Local Legend
OK, on a related note (and I've no idea why this came to me a fortnight after this thread died)

If you don't harvest a bush on the day a berry appears, does the berry stay on the bush until bedtime on the 18th? Or are they all wiped each night? If they did stay around, and you didn't want to go all round the map each day, you could just leave it until the last day and still get a fairly decent harvest from a single circuit of the valley. I'm not even slightly knowledgeable about code, so I can't dive into it, and I can't actually do a run and test this qualitatively right now, because I'm at work.
I'm not in a position to check in any of my saves, but I recently did go through a berry season I wasn't interested in. (I had other things needing being done.) I am fairly certain that I saw a bush with berries one day and no berries the next without me harvesting them... but I am not 100% certain.

Cuusardo

Farmer
Blackberry season is particularly lucrative for botanists with the right knowledges and forage-boosting foods who live on a forest farm. I lose count too quickly of the berries I get, although I probably don't get as much as I could because I'm a bit lazy about it.