What's your record for most blackberries or salmonberries in one season?

IntoxicHeart

Planter
… I never took count. But now I shall since I’m curious! I know at one point I had a couple stacks of salmon berries in my chest after a single salmon berry season run. I don’t know if I accumulated more though since either I use them to consume or I bin them. >.>;;

Next time I play, I’m going to have a couple chests in place, so that I can add the berries into them after the seasons, and see how many I gathered. ^^ Oh, what I’ll do is have a chest for year 1, a chest for year 2, and then a chest for year 3~. That way, I can have a good comparison to see how I did from the first year to the third.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Not even close to that. I believe I got over 500+ with Level 10 Foraging plus Pancakes, IIRC. Survival Burger and Autumn's Bounty are way too expensive because I didn't have an Eggplant plant (plantplantplant) and wasting Pumpkins on Buffs when you can sell Pumpickles for insane prices really makes one question Lazy Farming as a vocation. I probably didn't make enough Pancakes and then didn't notice when the Buff wore off and frankly decided sleeping under a tree Fishing was a better non-use of my time.

I just got 900 blackberries over one season! I'm really proud of it and I think it was the most I could have possibly gotten. What's your record for most berries and how did you do it?
I think the most I've ever gotten is about 600. You're probably right about that being the most you could have gotten, I mean 900? that's too many for me. I'm too lazy for that. maybe not as lazy as @Lew Zealand, but I'm still pretty lazy.

Elenna101

Farmer
I haven't really kept track but my max is probably somewhere around 750. By the time I have max foraging I don't usually bother to get them every day of the season.

Not even close to that. I believe I got over 500+ with Level 10 Foraging plus Pancakes, IIRC. Survival Burger and Autumn's Bounty are way too expensive because I didn't have an Eggplant plant (plantplantplant) and wasting Pumpkins on Buffs when you can sell Pumpickles for insane prices really makes one question Lazy Farming as a vocation. I probably didn't make enough Pancakes and then didn't notice when the Buff wore off and frankly decided sleeping under a tree Fishing was a better non-use of my time.
Pancakes are IMO the best food for salmonberry/blackberry collecting anyways. The number of berries you get per bush increases at each multiple of 4 (so levels 4, 8, and 12) which means the level 12 foraging you get from Pancakes gives you the exact same number of berries as the level 13 or 14 you can get from other foods (or even the level 15 you can get from Tropical Curry made with Qi seasoning). I can't think of any way to get Foraging level 16 without mods.
Plus the pancake buff lasts a really long time (I find that one pancake is more than enough for me to check every bush on the map) and the ingredients are super easy to get assuming you have a coop.

I've definitely had a shade over 700 once in Y1, when I snagged enough Pancakes early on from Gus to last me for all four days, to buff me to Foraging 8 for a third berry from each bush, but obviously there's a bit of luck in what berry spawns you get.

In subsequent years, with a buff to Foraging 12, it's definitely possible to get over a full stack with a fourth berry from each bush

Thinking about a deliberate Y1 record attempt, I think it should be possible to make your own Pancakes by Spring 15, because you can buy the recipe from Gus. Opening up the Secret Woods ASAP is also a must, not only for the berries that grow there, but also for the 150XP that will be available each day from chopping the 6 renewable stumps, that'll be needed to help reach 3,300XP for Foraging 6 before salmonberry season. For the same reason, the best farm map for this is Forest Farm, with 8 more stumps worth 200XP respawning each day. It also has the side benefit of a few more bushes that can drop those precious salmonberries

In fact, I'm going to rough plan this out now, including the major costs

You need a coop, for a chicken, for the eggs, and for the first laying to be on Spring 15, you need to buy a chicken (800g) no later than Spring 11, which means buying a coop (4,000g) by Spring 8. Wood and stone for the coop shouldn't be a problem, that'll come from chopping and mining.
Total 4,800g

For the Steel Axe, the costs are 7,000g total for the two upgrades. Although I'd collect the copper ore for furnace and bars from the mines on day 5 by racing to floor 10 and then farming floor 11, which will also secure all the necessary stone and coal, I'd rather buy the 25 iron ore, which is only another 3,750g, rather than waste time trying to mine down an extra 30 floors to floor 40.
Total 10,750g

Obviously I'd also need to buy the kitchen upgrade for 10,000g, and that needs to happen no later than Spring 11, because Robin doesn't work on the festival day on Spring 13. I wouldn't be averse to buying some of the wood for the kitchen upgrade at only 10g each, if a little short of materials. Finally I'd also get the first backpack upgrade for 2,000g, for extra space to carry stuff.
Total 12,000g

This will mostly be funded by fishing, which means that the last big purchase is the Fiberglass Rod at 1,800g plus a bit of bait,
Total ~2,500g

That takes the total major costs to about 30,000g, which is quite doable with dedicated fishing.

Getting a really good loading of spring onions on day 1, to fuel lots of first day chopping when there's little else to do, will be extremely useful. I'd also take advantage of exploiting skill level ups to start each day with full energy, and also falling asleep at 2am with no cash in hand, for an extra hour of activity each day.

Timeline
Day 1 - chopping and foraging
Day 2 - fishing (Fiberglass Rod and bait ~2,300g)
Day 3 - fishing for catfish (Fishing 5 - Fisher)
Day 4 - fishing, chopping, fishing (Backpack 2,000g)
Day 5 - mining (175 stone, 45 copper ore, 10 coal) fishing
Day 6 - fishing, upgrade axe, fishing (Copper Axe and 25 iron ore 5,750g total)
Day 7 - fishing and smelting iron
Day 8 - fishing, upgrade axe, build coop, fishing (Steel Axe and coop 9,000g total)
Day 9 - fishing
Day 10 - fishing, collect axe, chop secret woods and 8 stumps on farm, chop wood for house, fishing
Day 11 - fishing, buy chicken, upgrade house, chop secret woods and 8 stumps (House and chicken 10,800g)
Days 12 to 14 - chop secret woods and 8 stumps and clear trees from farm and rest of map, buy wheat flour and Pancakes recipe
Day 15+ - make Pancakes and get all the berries

Note - If the 14 renewable large stumps are chopped every day for five days from Spring 10 to 14, if all the non-renewable large stumps and large logs are chopped on the farm, and if all the trees in the entire valley have their tops removed to reduce them to a small stump, that's enough XP for Foraging 6 without any other forage at all, meaning there's no need to use 300 wood to repair the bridge, and no need to make special trips just to gather forage after all the costs have been met on day 11. Gathering forage is only necessary for early cash or for food, so if it's not required for either of those reasons then don't bother to make the effort to get it.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I've definitely had a shade over 700 once in Y1, when I snagged enough Pancakes early on from Gus to last me for all four days, to buff me to Foraging 8 for a third berry from each bush, but obviously there's a bit of luck in what berry spawns you get.

In subsequent years, with a buff to Foraging 12, it's definitely possible to get over a full stack with a fourth berry from each bush

Thinking about a deliberate Y1 record attempt, I think it should be possible to make your own Pancakes by Spring 15, because you can buy the recipe from Gus. Opening up the Secret Woods ASAP is also a must, not only for the berries that grow there, but also for the 150XP that will be available each day from chopping the 6 renewable stumps, that'll be needed to help reach 3,300XP for Foraging 6 before salmonberry season. For the same reason, the best farm map for this is Forest Farm, with 8 more stumps worth 200XP respawning each day. It also has the side benefit of a few more bushes that can drop those precious salmonberries

You need a coop, for a chicken, for the eggs, and for the first laying to be on Spring 15, you need to buy a chicken (800g) no later than Spring 11, which means buying a coop (4,000g) by Spring 8. Wood and stone for the coop shouldn't be a problem, that'll come from chopping and mining.
Total 4,800g

For the Steel Axe, the costs are 7,000g total for the two upgrades. Although I'd collect the copper ore for furnace and bars from the mines on day 5 by racing to floor 10 and then farming floor 11, which will also secure all the necessary stone and coal, I'd rather buy the 25 iron ore, which is only another 3,750g, rather than waste time trying to mine down an extra 30 floors to floor 40.
Total 10,750g

Obviously I'd also need to buy the kitchen upgrade for 10,000g, and that needs to happen no later than Spring 11, because Robin doesn't work on the festival day on Spring 13. I wouldn't be averse to buying some of the wood for the kitchen upgrade at only 10g each, if a little short of materials. Finally I'd also get the first backpack upgrade for 2,000g, for extra space to carry stuff.
Total 12,000g

This will mostly be funded by fishing, which means that the last big purchase is the Fiberglass Rod at 1,800g plus a bit of bait,
Total ~2,500g

That takes the total major costs to about 30,000g, which is quite doable with dedicated fishing.

Getting a really good loading of spring onions on day 1, to fuel lots of first day chopping when there's little else to do, will be extremely useful. I'd also take advantage of exploiting skill level ups to start each day with full energy, and also falling asleep at 2am with no cash in hand, for an extra hour of activity each day.

Timeline
Day 8 - fishing, upgrade axe, build coop, fishing (Steel Axe and coop 9,000g total)
Day 9 - fishing
Day 10 - fishing, collect axe, chop secret woods and 8 stumps on farm, chop wood for house, fishing
Day 11 - fishing, buy chicken, upgrade house, chop secret woods and 8 stumps (House and chicken 10,800g)
Days 12 to 14 - chop secret woods and 8 stumps and clear trees from farm and rest of map, buy wheat flour and Pancakes recipe

Note - If the 14 renewable large stumps are chopped every day for five days from Spring 10 to 14, if all the non-renewable large stumps and large logs are chopped on the farm, and if all the trees in the entire valley have their tops removed to reduce them to a small stump, that's enough XP for Foraging 6 without any other forage at all, meaning there's no need to use 300 wood to repair the bridge, and no need to make special trips just to gather forage after all the costs have been met on day 11. Gathering forage is only necessary for early cash or for food, so if it's not required for either of those reasons then don't bother to make the effort to get it.
While I love your dedication, I love your dedication. Not mine. It's Day 18 on my new Forest Farm and I'll likely end up with 200 Salmonberries (at about 180 right now) and I didn't even think of finding out where to get Pancakes or their recipe. And zero chance I'd remember from like years ago. I'll have to make do with the 200 and if this playthrough is like every other one I've done, 200 will last until Year 5.

Because excessive use of Energy is gauche for a genteel Farmer like Bobbi.

hexnessie

Farmer
800, give or take, with the Burger and Coffee.

I wonder if adding spice to the Burger would make a difference and got me 5 berries per bush.

Lew Zealand

Helper
FYI I ended up with 240 Salmonberries from Spring Y1 but got distracted by shiny things on day 4 of gathering. Life's tough when you're a Crow.

I ended up with about 340 Blackberries Fall Y1 but didn't even Forage on the last day as Maru informed me of the planetary alignment which enabled me to get to Lvl 120 in the Mines, finish what I needed for the Rusty Key, and the last bits to fix up the Greenhouse. I just chucked Linus' basket in the general direction of the tent on my way past and hollered, "They're all yours, bud!"

Total 4,800g

Total 10,750g

Total 12,000g

Total ~2,500g

Timeline
Day 9 - fishing

OK, I decided to actually run this, to see what it yielded. Other than starting two or three new farms until I got a decent haul of spring onions on day 1, there were no mulligans on this, I just played the days as they came and took the results I got. Here are the key details

Day 1 had quite a bit over 20 spring onions; I can't remember exactly how many, but this was the somewhat arbitrarily chosen benchmark minimum I was checking for before continuing. So, lots of chopping was possible, but other forageables for cash for day 2 were probably below average

Day 2 is pretty straightforward. Use the Training rod for perfect catches to race to Fishing 2, then buy the fiberglass rod for more catches and as much XP as possible. Not a great day, my fishing was rusty so not as many perfect catches as I would have liked, and I finished a few fish short of Fishing 4.

Day 3, my fishing ability was still below my average, I missed more catfish than I would have liked, but I still reached Fishing 6. One of the treasure chests on this day contained a Neptune's Glaive, which I knew would be a nice bonus for mining day

Day 4 again very straightforward. Sell to Willy with the 25% bonus, get the backpack and then catch as many perfect lake fish as possible.

Day 5 was the mining day - the fortune teller on the TV was showing a bat, making it a moderately unlucky day, but at this point I didn't want to delay, with no guarantee that the next day would be better. That Neptune's Glaive was really useful and much more of a lucky find than I originally realised, as I ended up running into a slime infested level on floor 9. But the Glaive meant I wasn't delayed long, and I was able to complete my dash to floor 10, and despite copper being hard to come by on floor 11, I was out again by 5pm to resume fishing

Day 6 again I smelted copper while chopping, bought the iron ore, upgraded to a copper Axe and then set to work on getting even more fish.

Day 7 was raining, nothing else to do so catching catfish all day. I made an early trip to Robin to build the coop a day early, because I already had everything I needed, and all the necessary cash for all remaining expenses was got by the end of this day, which was considerably earlier than the plan required.

From this point I could just cruise into day 15, with little else needed to do apart from buying a chicken and some flour, upgrading the house, getting the steel axe on time and then chopping everything in the valley from days 10 to 14.

As previously said, all the XP needed for Foraging 6 could come from chopping trees and hardwood, assuming the schedule was met for the Steel Axe. However, the additional XP from all the forageables, and cutting more trees than was necessary, meant Foraging 6 actually came up several days early, but for want of something to do on otherwise dead days, I continued to chop the 14 renewable stumps each day and by the time salmonberry season rolled round on day 15, I was already a natural Foraging 7, with the Pancakes buffing me to Foraging 9

So, here's the results

Day 15 - 297 berries

Day 16 - 252 berries

Day 17 - 297 berries

Day 18 - 237 berries

Total - 1083 berries

Comfortably my best Y1 salmonberry season, but remember absolutely everything was geared towards getting the best out of days 15 to 18, so activities were hopelessly unbalanced. I did no farming at all, and once I'd got my 45 copper, I did no mining either, while I did massive amounts of both fishing and chopping.

One last thing I would have added to this plan, to eke out every last berry, would have been to continue fishing to earn enough to buy a Joja membership and pay them to repair the bridge to the quarry. There would have been plenty of time to catch enough fish for the cash to buy the membership on day 12, and the repair on day 14, especially with the second price boost from hitting Fishing 10. On this particular run, it would have netted me an extra 6 berries.

I just finished a second year salmonberry season and got 585. I got 3 per bush and didn't use any buffs, just spent all day running all over the forest, town, and mountain. I use them for food until blackberry days.

Elenna101

Farmer
I just hit salmonberry season in my current farm, so I decided to see what I could get with foraging 12 (level 10 + pancakes) and doing a full run of checking the bushes every day. I skipped out on the ones on the right side of the mines for three of the days, mostly out of laziness - I forgot I had the quarry open and didn't want to walk there and back. Otherwise I checked every bush, including the railroad and secret woods. I'm on the Four Corners farm so there's also 5 berry bushes on the farm itself.

I only got ~750 berries, less than @One More Day got with Farming 8. Of course there's more bushes on the forest farm, but still, I definitely got unlucky with the bushes spawning berries. On the 15th and 17th especially I was surprised at how few bushes had berries on them.
Anyone know what affects whether berries spawn? Is it just random? I think I've seen someone say somewhere that it's affected by daily luck, but not sure if that was backed up by checking the code or anything, or just a guess. It's not listed on the wiki's list of things affected by luck.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I only got ~750 berries, less than @One More Day got with Farming 8. Of course there's more bushes on the forest farm, but still, I definitely got unlucky with the bushes spawning berries. On the 15th and 17th especially I was surprised at how few bushes had berries on them.
Anyone know what affects whether berries spawn? Is it just random? I think I've seen someone say somewhere that it's affected by daily luck, but not sure if that was backed up by checking the code or anything, or just a guess. It's not listed on the wiki's list of things affected by luck.
@BlaDe Do you happen to know anything about this?

hexnessie

Farmer
You would need to get an effective Foraging skill of 16 to get a 5th berry per bush. Spice will bring a burger up to +4, and it will bring tropical curry up to +5... but that'll only get you 15, not 16. Sorry.
Meh, a pity, it would be fun to see the avalanche of berries!

I wish there were more items that give pluses to skillses like the Master enchantment on the fishing rod.

BlaDe

Farmer
Hmm.

From a quick look at the code with no in-game testing, I can tell that there is no reference to dailyLuck.

I have found 2 places that set whether there is a salmonberry/blackberry on a bush. One is the overnight update which is a flat 20% per bush, unseeded.

The other is on a method called loadSprite. For a bush, this is called on a season transition, but it is also called when a save is loaded. This call is seeded (uses the gameID), and is a 50% chance.

In theory, you would get more salmonberries by quitting and loading to file every day in salmonberry/blackberry season.

@One More Day @Elenna101 did you remember if this was in one session or if you loaded from save?

NullObjects

Tiller
I've consistently gotten around 1200 each season for blackberries from just the bushes. I both welcome and dread it as during those four days I just spend it monotonously picking blackberries to the point where I have a pretty set path.

I use 1 pancakes + 2-3 Triple Shot Espresso's for the sped boost to last the day.

If anyone is curious, the path I take (regular farm map):

I go down south exit, go west, into the woods, exit the woods, go down the west side of the lake, go partly around the bottom of the lake, then resume down south and around the mouse house, cross the bridge, into the forest, then take the upper bridge, then up the east side of the lake, then down to Leah's cabin, then into town.

In town, I mostly go straight east, detouring slightly to get some bushes in town, then use the rail car to jump to the quarry. From there, head west all the way to the end with a slight detour into the train track area. Then keep going and enter the farm from the north entrance. Then exit the right exit (checking the bush by the house), then up around the bus stop and west to tunnel area, then back into town and the north part of the town by the fountain and finally end at the community center.

I get an average of 300 per day including berries on the ground (first day tends to yields more, while the last day yields less), so I'm guessing without pancakes it would be around 900 berries doing that route over the four days.

It's a nice cash infusion as I am one of those that don't sell and mostly just horde items. =D

Elenna101

Farmer
Hmm.

From a quick look at the code with no in-game testing, I can tell that there is no reference to dailyLuck.

I have found 2 places that set whether there is a salmonberry/blackberry on a bush. One is the overnight update which is a flat 20% per bush, unseeded.

The other is on a method called loadSprite. For a bush, this is called on a season transition, but it is also called when a save is loaded. This call is seeded (uses the gameID), and is a 50% chance.

In theory, you would get more salmonberries by quitting and loading to file every day in salmonberry/blackberry season.

@One More Day @Elenna101 did you remember if this was in one session or if you loaded from save?
...Fascinating. And that makes sense, my first three crappy days were in one play session, and the 18th, which had much better berries, was the first day of a new play session.
So the overnight 20% is Game1.random?