What's your "lesson learned" from the start?

Tex

Cowpoke
Don't mod unless you're really sure it works. I just couldn't master fishing on the touchpad, was driving me crazy, and resorted to a fishing mod that turned out to be buggy. Now I can't fish at all without crashing. And I can't bear to start over, lol. :cry: LESSON LEARNED.

On that subject, since this is my first run through with this game (loving it, good quarantine time waster), if I'm going to run into a wall not being able to fish, please let me know. I'd rather hold my breath and say goodbye to my little homestead now, rather than later in the game....

callmeglaiza

Farmhand
Dude, so many good ideas!

This is my first time running this game, so I'm most definitely going to follow that chest rule outside the mine. That would save me so much time and energy. This is great you guys!

Chaya7

Planter
Don't mod unless you're really sure it works. I just couldn't master fishing on the touchpad, was driving me crazy, and resorted to a fishing mod that turned out to be buggy. Now I can't fish at all without crashing. And I can't bear to start over, lol. :cry: LESSON LEARNED.

On that subject, since this is my first run through with this game (loving it, good quarantine time waster), if I'm going to run into a wall not being able to fish, please let me know. I'd rather hold my breath and say goodbye to my little homestead now, rather than later in the game....
I've played 5 games. My first game, I couldn't fish at all, and I still had a great time. The way the game was developed, you can play any old way you want, focus on anything you want, have any goals you want. This was made still clearer in later versions in which the developer offered players choices of layouts that focused on various things. For instance, you can now choose a layout that has lots of river and very little space for farming - which of course offers plenty of fun for fishers. Likewise, you can completely avoid combat, monsters, and magic if that isn't your thing, and just have a magnificent farm. Or you can focus on those things to the detriment of farming. Some people just really seem to enjoy decorating and design. Somehow over the years a lot of people have got the impression that you have to do everything, have to meet all goals, and so on, to "win" the game. I'm doing that right now - and loving it - but it certainly isn't necessary. Winning is in the eye of the beholder. I guess pleasing "Grandpa" has put a lot of pressure on players, but of course pleasing Grandpa isn't necessary, either. Nor is it necessary to finish the Community Center as quickly as possible, or rush to the bottom of the mines. There are so many ways to play the game. And if you feel like starting a new game, you can do things differently next time.

So no, I literally can't imagine running into a "wall" with this game. It's an open-ended, organic game with a universe of possibilities. Much like life. For instance, later on, you may decide to start fishing, and then you'll have a whole new world to explore.

I don't know what fishing mod you got that is buggy, but my fishing mod has worked great. Are you on a PC? Can't you remove that buggy mod and replace it with one that works?

Golden

Planter
I started by foraging and fishing every day. they both bring in the money fast if you get lots of fish and foragable items. Spring onion are also very helpful so every day in spring you should check to see if there are any there.

ReliantFarms

Greenhorn
Plant a lot of parsnips, you need it for spring crops but also 5 gold star Parsnips for the quality crops bundle.
Get a silo ASAP.
Befriend people, especially George to get the spicy eel recipe. Emily also has some amazing psychedelic cut scenes that don’t make sense but I do like it.
Get a horse as soon as you’re comfortable enough. Unlocking the Mining carts is also super helpful, esp when bringing things to the museum/Clint.
This helped me a ton when choosing professions.

Tex

Cowpoke
I've played 5 games. My first game, I couldn't fish at all, and I still had a great time. The way the game was developed, you can play any old way you want, focus on anything you want, have any goals you want. This was made still clearer in later versions in which the developer offered players choices of layouts that focused on various things. For instance, you can now choose a layout that has lots of river and very little space for farming - which of course offers plenty of fun for fishers. Likewise, you can completely avoid combat, monsters, and magic if that isn't your thing, and just have a magnificent farm. Or you can focus on those things to the detriment of farming. Some people just really seem to enjoy decorating and design. Somehow over the years a lot of people have got the impression that you have to do everything, have to meet all goals, and so on, to "win" the game. I'm doing that right now - and loving it - but it certainly isn't necessary. Winning is in the eye of the beholder. I guess pleasing "Grandpa" has put a lot of pressure on players, but of course pleasing Grandpa isn't necessary, either. Nor is it necessary to finish the Community Center as quickly as possible, or rush to the bottom of the mines. There are so many ways to play the game. And if you feel like starting a new game, you can do things differently next time.

So no, I literally can't imagine running into a "wall" with this game. It's an open-ended, organic game with a universe of possibilities. Much like life. For instance, later on, you may decide to start fishing, and then you'll have a whole new world to explore.

I don't know what fishing mod you got that is buggy, but my fishing mod has worked great. Are you on a PC? Can't you remove that buggy mod and replace it with one that works?
Thanks! Super helpful reply. I'm on a Mac, and ended up with an xnb mod that, despite following directions to a T, results in crashes when I fish. I'm hoping I can find a mod to replace it, because I enjoy the fishing part, and it sounds like a good way to make $$ in the winter. I'll scout around the forums to see if someone might have a mod idea for me. Thanks again!

xlovi3lozi3x

Greenhorn
Don't use wood fences 🤦🏻‍♀️ Placed 300 of them to find out that 50 or so days later I'd have to gather up loads of hardwood just to replace it - was not fun at all😂😂

Don't donate the first dinosaur egg you find. I found one in the first spring in my first gamefile and didn't really think about its rarity.
I never found another one in the 6 game years that I played with that file. :laugh:
Maybe now they're a bit easier to get since CA introduced those Prehistoric Levels in SC, but still..

TheXug

Cowpoke
Don't be scared to just water your plants, then go to sleep, then water them, then go to sleep, and repeating that until you buy more seeds to continue the process. I find it easiest to just spend all of year 1 farming with plants, spend year 2 gathering resources and getting friends, year 3 starting out with animals and getting a spouse, and year 4 starting the Community Center or doing a bunch of quests.