What's the food that you usually eat to fill your energy and health?

I take that large iridium milk (which recovers 130 energy and 58 health) and put it through a cheese press, after which it recovers 225 energy and 101 health. I'd highly recommend it, it works very well. I've got enough cows at this point to where even turning some of the cheese into pepper poppers (enough to keep my speed buffed all day) I am still gaining cheese over time, so there hasn't been a need to use anything else in some time.

Ereo

Helper
I second cheese, preferably gold star. So any large milk works.
Doesn't the large iridium quality milk recover around the same amount? Am I missing something?
I'm not sure I understand your question, the numbers for milk and cheese are both in the post you replied to...

JJJ5579

Greenhorn
I second cheese, preferably gold star. So any large milk works.

I'm not sure I understand your question, the numbers for milk and cheese are both in the post you replied to...
Yeah... I was actually talking about large iridium quality goat milk 😂

Ereo

Helper
Then you're right, large iridium quality goat milk has almost the same stats as gold cheese.

Cheese has the advantage of being available every day, while goats produce every second day, and even at full hearts, in my experience they don't consistently produce iridium.

Cheese has the disadvantage if process time and needing a machine, but it's not too difficult to get.

Then you're right, large iridium quality goat milk has almost the same stats as gold cheese.

Cheese has the advantage of being available every day, while goats produce every second day, and even at full hearts, in my experience they don't consistently produce iridium.

Cheese has the disadvantage if process time and needing a machine, but it's not too difficult to get.
Also goat cheese specifically, as indicated, has the same stats as regular cheese, so it's not worth turning goat milk into cheese, and in addition, goat cheese can't be used in the recipe for pepper poppers. So for me goats are like ducks, I keep one or two around so I have their unique output if needed, but from a practicality and profitability standpoint they're just outclassed by their cheaper counterparts. To each their own though of course.

Salty1

Planter
I honestly just fall back on the iridium quality salmonberries and blackberries. You take a few days a year to gather them and never really run out - even if you need to eat several at a time/instance.

Never took botanist up until my third farm or so, and it just so completely changed the way I could play the game that it's really hard to go back.

Boo1972

Farmer
I actually use gold star cactus fruit or pineapples. I married Sam so I planted cactus, naturally and got used to eating them. Plus, too much cheese seems like it would weigh you down. I drink either triple shot espresso or ginger ale and my go to meal is spicy eel, though I am considering changing to pumpkin soup.

Squigglyruth

Planter
Early on I eat chub, smallmouth bass, green algae, parsnips and maybe spring onions (the maybe is because I don't normally head down that way). Then salmonberries and parsnips. Those last long enough that I stop ever worring about food - I guess I normally use blackberries as a source later on in year 1. After that I normally use food I have made for the circumstance. Or crab cakes from that sale after a certain event...

Lew Zealand

Helper
Gold Star Cheese, as mentioned by someone here about a year ago. I've tried a lot of things over the years of playing this game and the Cheese ends up being the least effort:

Field Snack - cheap, easily accessible early game; time consuming later on when you need a lot of Health fast
Salmonberries, Blackberries, Snozzberries - grab 'em on the go and they're free; but time consuming as above
Seaweed - just eat it while Fishing to clear a spot since you're too cheap to get the Big Backpack
Algae Soup - dropped by Mutant Grubs, can stock up pretty quickly in the Mutant Bug Lair when harvesting Fiber. Obsolete with the addition of Fiber Seeds.
Purple Mushrooms - technically better than Cheese if you're a Rancher or Artisan but more difficult to obtain in bulk
Salad is not bad but it just feels... wrong to buy food when you're a Farmer. Or a cheapskate.

Flav

Farmhand
Cheese is good for energy and health, and is easy to make (if you have the production equipment).
I used to use big cow's milk before cheese

LGim851

Cowpoke
I feel basic haha

i usually resort to large eggs, gold or iridium quality cheese, and sashimi. I also try to buy all the festival foods I can find because they give luck bonuses!

Elenna101

Farmer
I have 999+ salmonberries and several hundred blackberries on my main farm (a few days of foraging with level 12 does wonders) so mostly I eat that. Also I have 100+ sashimi I keep on me, from the mussel rocks on the island.

Other things in my "to eat if I somehow run out of berries or just want to recover more HP at once" chest:
- Life elixers and energy tonics - from the iridium bats in SC, I've never bought those, it doesn't seem worth it. I could definitely craft some if I wasn't too lazy to check my mushroom cave.
- Cheese - mostly from trading emeralds to the desert trader. I do have cows producing gold quality cheese but I sell it instead of saving it to eat because of the aforementioned berry hoard.
- Salads bought from Gus. Actually I think I used all of these up. But they're pretty good value if you need to buy food.

Worblehat

Planter
When I still ate food, it was pretty much what Salty1 said - iridium salmonberries. I can easily harvest far more than a year's usage each year. If I need big heals, that's what life elixirs are for (I always maintained a stack of ten, just to be excessively cautious - never needed more than two per expedition that I can recall). Before Botanist, I used field snacks.

I got rid of my animals as soon as practical, so cheese was not an option. Plus (as we've discussed in previous versions of this thread) cheese is decently valuable, so I'd rather sell it and use something close to worthless like salmonberries or field snacks.

Tom

Farmer
I am so boring and wasteful. I just eat Salad. Even on Day 1 I trade in Wild Horseradish and Daffodil for Salad so I can chop more trees.

And in my Conscientious/Pacifist run, believe me that I eat a lot in the Skull Cavern and other scary places!