What would the scientific name of a stardrop be?

Fippfopp

Greenhorn
Hey everyone,
I'm going to get a botanical-style tattoo of a stardrop soon, but I'm missing one important detail: what is the binomial nomenclature /scientific name of a Stardrop? I'd love to have that added to the design. This game has helped me through a lot of difficult times, I've wanted to get this done since the beginning of the pandemic and I'm thrilled to finally be doing it. I'd love to hear from Concerned Ape himself but I would love to hear what everyone imagines it to be! Thanks in advance!

Hey everyone,
I'm going to get a botanical-style tattoo of a stardrop soon, but I'm missing one important detail: what is the binomial nomenclature /scientific name of a Stardrop? I'd love to have that added to the design. This game has helped me through a lot of difficult times, I've wanted to get this done since the beginning of the pandemic and I'm thrilled to finally be doing it. I'd love to hear from Concerned Ape himself but I would love to hear what everyone imagines it to be! Thanks in advance!
I guess celestial something

Ereo

Helper
Occumbo stelliferous.
Dulcis sideralis.
Zacharotó sidereus.
Astrum glykos.
Astéri richno.
Ouranios melculum.
Dulcis caelestis/divinus.

Stelliferous, sidereus, sideralis, astrum and astéri are derived from "star". Occumbo and richno come from "drop" in the sense of falling, glykos, Zacharotó and dulcis from "drop" in the sense of sweet, like a lemon drop.

You could also use something in the sense of heavenly instead of star: Ouránios, caelestis or divinus.

Melculum is derived from honey which is already a bit far fetched.

Personally, I like the first two best, but you could of course also mix and match. Or pick a couple of options you like, and create a poll to see what most people think.

Hey everyone,
So one thing to consider is whether or not you think Stardrops could or would exist anywhere outside Stardew Valley. This is relevant because the scientific name of animals only native to one region, such as the Hippopotamus, do not include anything about the location in them (The scientific name of a Hippo is actually just Hippopotamus Amphibius). Conversely, the scientific name of the regional variant of something typically includes a location identifier. The scientific name of the American Black Bear is Ursus Americanus, as an example. Of course the key to any good scientific name is to latinize it, so depending on what you think there it would potentially be _something_ convallis stellata, since convallis stellata is the Latin for Star Dew Valley, according to Google Translate at least.

As far as the base name, I'd point out that a Meteorite is something which survived the journey to Earth vs a Meteor is currently out in space. The scientific name of one particular class of them is "howardite-eucrite-diogenite", so I personally think that since it's a Star "drop", and it's survived the journey to Stardew Valley and is found on the ground, it should involve "ite" in some way. For the "star" part, I like "Astrum" best, since translations for it include "star", "constellation", but also "glory" and "immortality". Getting a Stardrop improves your total energy, it improves the very nature of your character. And you tend to get them for achieving things, or earning glory. So for me, it'd be "Astrumite Convallis Stellata".

Boo1972

Farmer
I gotta second Astrum as part of the name. It feels correct. Dulcis Astrum or Astrum Dulcis maybe? Only because people who aren’t familiar with the game may be able to decipher the meaning of that combo. But, Astrumite Convallis Stellata is pretty cool too.

Corvus

Sodbuster
I'd point out that a Meteorite is something which survived the journey to Earth vs a Meteor is currently out in space.
Not quite.
A meteor is a streak of light
Made by a falling meteorite
I sure hope this answer's right

When it's still in space a rock is a meteoroid, up to a meter in diameter, which I would assume includes anything that would become a Star Drop. More than a meter it's an asteroid until you reach the diameter of Ceres, 940km, which makes some astronomers classify it as a dwarf planet. Even a dinky asteroid would do some serious damage to the valley. Tinkering with the calculator below has a 50-meter iron asteroid coming in at a 45-degree angle making a crater 2.08km in diameter, which pretty well matches Meteor Crater in Arizona. Judging by the time it takes a farmer to walk from one end of the Valley to the other, that's more than enough.