What is your fishing technique?

• Hard and fast

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Gentle gentle

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

KatieLikesCake

Greenhorn
As I've been playing more since 1.5 and especially since 1.6 I have thought a lot about my techniques for fishing and combat. Mostly interested how you guys go at fishing. I have a few friends who play and our techniques basically fall into two categories.
1) Go hard right off the bite for the harder to catch species but this means less perfect catches for the easy ones as a lot of them start and stay really low for a while.
2) Slow and steady to get those perfect catches for easy ones but be slower to catch up to the harder ones.

Which are you? Or if you do something different please comment with yours.

Benhimself

Rancher
I generally go easy since a lot of perfect "easy" fish is better XP (and money) than one or two harder and rarer fish that, to be frank about my fishing skill, I probably wouldn't get perfect for anyway. That said if I'm specifically going for legendary or a harder fish I need for a quest or bundle or something, I'll at least prepare myself to click out the gate if I see any fish zoomies.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Early on there aren’t any fish that are really hard so I’ll go gentle.
Usually if I encounter a hard enough fish that it’s beneficial to go hard straight of the bat, I’m trying to catch that fish and (generally) only that fish.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Gentle gentle as I just can't maintain the hard button mash since it bugs me. Even when fishing for the Legends or Octopus or Lava Eel I'll almost always fail to get the first Octopus, Legend, and Glacierfish. Then it's time to hunker down with each hook and lead off with buttonmashing.

And end up with lots of Gold Star Chubs and Halibut

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Few fish require sudden movements. Following them gently, especially whenever they stick to the bottom of the bar, is key element to securing a catch. Being hard and utilizing abrupt movement/clicking, usually leads into your fish escaping. Fishing is tricky, needs soft reflexes and light tapping of the left mouse click.

NetworkerC

Sodbuster
I prefer Rhombuses and 180 degree Triangles.

And then he realised they weren’t talking about Maths ‘angle’rs.

Oh, right, sorry, ran into King Speed at Yoyogi. His Emperor’s getting faster every few days (that or my Supra needs an upgrade on Engine Valves)! Erm.. Always prepare for the most dangerous fish to come charging on to your line. Most of my fishing, as of recent, has been for Sandfish for Penpen, so you go in expecting a Scorpion Carp to go nuts.

Bawby

Planter
I go after legends and all-around jerks (puffer fish, ice pips, etc.) as fast as I can to get the most chances as possible. The easier catches will always throw themselves at you. Hard and fast for me.