What Professions Do You Choose?

imnvs

Local Legend
Can't you just buy the extra coal using the extra from gemologist? (or from selling what evers in the extra geo of excavator)

Also, once you've build that stuff, you don't need to keep building more, eventually you got enough?
Selling and buying is an additional step.

I have not yet hit my limit, even in my 4-corners farm which is making almost 5M per season at this point. Like... seriously, I still have space to expand my ancient fruit fields, and for sheds to hold more kegs.

Elenna101

Farmer
Can't you just buy the extra coal using the extra from gemologist? (or from selling what evers in the extra geo of excavator)

Also, once you've build that stuff, you don't need to keep building more, eventually you got enough?
I have no idea how the value of the extra coal from Prospector compares to the value of the extra gems/geodes, but IMO the more important part is that Miner gives a guaranteed 1 extra ore per node broken, which is super useful if you're making lots of kegs. Given how ore nodes are much more common than gem nodes, I can't imagine that the extra gems/geodes would make up for the cost of buying that ore. And you can only get Miner with Prospector or Blacksmith, not with Gemologist/Excavator.

TruePurple

Cowpoke
A guide I found said an extra ore per "node" isn't that much latter on. You can always buy more ore with the gem sales, at least the lower ores.

What is a "node"? Picture maybe please?

LRangerR

Local Legend
A node is an ore or crystal bearing rock. So you'd get an extra ore from ore rocks, but not normal rocks (as far as i know).

Elenna101

Farmer
A node is basically another word for the rocks that give you ore/gems. So a copper node is the rock that gives you copper, an iron node is the rock that gives you iron, etc.

And yes, you can buy more ore by selling gems. But like I said, if you go in and out of say, floor 20 or 40 for example, you'll quickly find that you see a lot more copper/iron nodes than gem nodes. So the amount of extra ore adds up to way more than the amount you could buy by selling the extra gems.
Yes, copper ore is kinda cheap (75g per ore in year 1, 150g per ore in year 2), but if you're going to copper levels, you're going to mostly get topaz and amethyst which sell for 80 and 100g each, which doesn't even buy you one copper ore after year 2.

TruePurple

Cowpoke
A node is basically another word for the rocks that give you ore/gems. So a copper node is the rock that gives you copper, an iron node is the rock that gives you iron, etc.
So all rocks in a mine are "nodes"? So the ability should read, "bonus ore when any rock gives an ore"?

LRangerR

Local Legend
...but if you're going to copper levels, you're going to mostly get topaz and amethyst which sell for 80 and 100g each, which doesn't even buy you one copper ore after year 2.
Once you've reached the bottom of the mines all gems have a chance to appear at any level of the mines.

So all rocks in a mine are "nodes"? So the ability should read, "bonus ore when any rock gives an ore"?
It's not any rock though, just nodes. Occasionally normal rocks will drop a random ore.

Elenna101

Farmer
Once you've reached the bottom of the mines all gems have a chance to appear at any level of the mines.
Right, forgot about that 1.5 change. There's still no way the money from extra gems would be enough to pay for losing the extra ore from Miner though.

LRangerR

Local Legend
Right, forgot about that 1.5 change. There's still no way the money from extra gems would be enough to pay for losing the extra ore from Miner though.
Didn't realize it was a 1.5 change. So many changes, lol. And i'm not saying it's better. I prefer to just mine the ore in the same manner as you suggested, although I tend to go the gem route so I can shower the girls (and the town I guess) with pretty rocks. I mean, somebody's gotta feed poor Abigail, because Pierre apparently doesn't.

TruePurple

Cowpoke
So Miner profession only gives bonus ore to "nodes" and not to any other rocks or other ore sources, and not bonus to any gem "nodes"?

Last edited:
Farming: tiller and artesian
Foraging: gatherer and botanist
Mining: geologist and gemologist
Fishing: isn't there
Combat:fighter and defender

imnvs

Local Legend
So Miner profession only gives bonus ore to "nodes" and not to any other rocks or other ore sources, and not bonus to any gem "nodes"?
Correct.

Also, it was pre-1.5 that reaching the bottom of the mines made all gems available in all levels of the mines. It also makes it so all monsters have a miniscule chance to drop diamonds or prismatic shards. If it is newish, maybe 1.4? That's when I started playing, so that's what I'm used to.

Jibb The Kid

Greenhorn
For farming, Tiller and Artisan.
For mining, Geologist and Excavator.
For foraging, Gatherer and Botanist.
For fishing, Fisher and [to be determined].
For combat, Scout and Desperado.

Elenna101

Farmer
Correct.

Also, it was pre-1.5 that reaching the bottom of the mines made all gems available in all levels of the mines. It also makes it so all monsters have a miniscule chance to drop diamonds or prismatic shards. If it is newish, maybe 1.4? That's when I started playing, so that's what I'm used to.
Oh, it might not be newish, actually, I think I was mixing it up with the 1.5 change where gem nodes (these ones
1614462642050.png
) can drop any gem regardless of mine level.