What planet is Stardew Valley on?

lime808

Farmhand
I realized from looking at the ages of my pigs that each season in Stardew Valley lasts one month long. That means each year is only 4 months long.

In Stardew Valley each year lasts for four, twenty-eight day months, AKA seasons, or 112 days.

That would put Stardew Valley on a planet much different from Earth, where as we all know a year is 365 days long.

From NASA: A year on the planet Mercury is 88 days long, while a year on Venus is 225 days long.

That means the Stardew Planet would exist somewhere in between these two planets, if it existed in our solar system.

Last edited:

VampireCake

Rancher
Interesting idea! But I think we should mention the length of a day on each planet is also different - that day is one rotation about its own axis. One day on Venus is actually as long as 243 Earth days. Yes that's longer than one Venus year. It also rotates the opposite way - Venus is weird. :laugh:

I'd put my guess for what planet is SDV on as - "Earth, but in an alternate universe." :smile:

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hmm, this planet needs a pretty big Moon as that does show up at the end of the month as full on the Shipping Bin screen (pro tip: always pop something in the bin on the 28th). Go ahead and give that Moon a bunch of knocks on that day and see if anything happens...

Season change with some pretty decent regularity and somehow the Spirit's Eve Festival augurs guaranteed snow cover in little more than a day, perhaps this is Yoba's deal with the town. But really we need some orbital mechanics. Using some online calculators I did a bit of educated guessing and here's what we get:

Sun: 0.7x our Sun's mass
Age: Between 3-15 billion years (smaller stars have longer lives)
Planet: same as Earth, Alex's grid ball seems to follow about 1G when he tosses it
Distance from Sun: 0.4038 AU or 37.5 million miles (that is 0.4038 of the distance from the Earth to the sun)

This puts Stardew's planet in the habitable zone around a pretty stable star with a 112 Day orbit (year), assuming a 24 hour day like Earth and in-game. I may have gotten the habitable zone a little off as the jargon in these things is difficult.

I'll leave finding a system with those characteristics in the space telescope data to someone else as my brain is now a puddle of goo on the floor.

Hmm, this planet needs a pretty big Moon as that does show up at the end of the month as full on the Shipping Bin screen (pro tip: always pop something in the bin on the 28th). Go ahead and give that Moon a bunch of knocks on that day and see if anything happens...

Season change with some pretty decent regularity and somehow the Spirit's Eve Festival augurs guaranteed snow cover in little more than a day, perhaps this is Yoba's deal with the town. But really we need some orbital mechanics. Using some online calculators I did a bit of educated guessing and here's what we get:

Planet: same as Earth, Alex's grid ball seems to follow about 1G when he tosses it
Distance from Sun: 0.4038 AU or 37.5 million miles (that is 0.4038 of the distance from the Earth to the sun)

This puts Stardew's planet in the habitable zone around a pretty stable star with a 112 Day orbit (year), assuming a 24 hour day like Earth and in-game. I may have gotten the habitable zone a little off as the jargon in these things is difficult.

I'll leave finding a system with those characteristics in the space telescope data to someone else as my brain is now a puddle of goo on the floor.
SOOOOOO scientific!

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend

Lew the math wiz!?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Thanks for the kudos! By the way, that puts SDV's planet a little closer to it's star than Mercury is in our solar system at 37.5 million miles vs. 39 for Mercury. But Stardew's star is smaller and cooler so the planetary surface temperature is about the same as Earth. Not sure why I didn't include that comparison in the first post but I did mention my brain goo after figuring the math bit so I was clearly tapped out!