What kind of events/engagement would you like in the forums?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hi! This is the feedback thread I made in tandem with the thread in News & Announcements. We started Monthly Prompts as a fun idea to engage with fan creations (both in and out of the game) more in the forums, but the idea could definitely do with some fine tuning and some interest checks. We'd love to know what you think about the idea, what could be done better, and what you would enjoy having in regards to the forums.

The announcement post is here!

I like the idea of having a sort of community event going on. Nothing too elaborate as life gets in the way and other shenanigans, but maybe we could do a faux festival for a month or two that involves the entire board? Participation can be optional, but I like the idea of folks coming together to share ideas, meeting, playing multiplayer etc. during these events.

For example, maybe we can do a faux egg festival where something is hidden on the board and we need to have some volunteers (or everyone) look for it? If that won't work, perhaps we can do something along the lines of Dance of the Moonlight Jellies, but share artwork, stories and other creations during that time?

Just some food for thought, but I fully support ways to get the community involved and just simply have fun and fellowship.

Stardew gone wild! A week where we have a drawing session about the animals of Stardew valley. Had one where the horse was chasing a Junimos mistaking it for a apple.

If CA is available maybe a little q&a with discussions and inspirations on characters from the game and potentially discuss his new project. Heavy moderation or post must be approved for chat with abusers being blocked from participating.

Rate my ....... Have a contest where people are assigned themes for their valley, sheds, or other similar maybe even have a person create pixel art using tables and different items.

Macrame and friends. Let's get some real world pictures of things people have created based on Stardew valley. It doesn't matter if it's a slime beanie with a dust sprite pompom, or a krobus bobblehead.

Stardew cosplay: Halloween is coming up in a few months let's have some fun. So g rated fun.............maybe not this is a hornets nest dropped into paint shaker and released

MissDandy

Farmer
I like the idea of having a sort of community event going on. Nothing too elaborate as life gets in the way and other shenanigans, but maybe we could do a faux festival for a month or two that involves the entire board? Participation can be optional, but I like the idea of folks coming together to share ideas, meeting, playing multiplayer etc. during these events.

For example, maybe we can do a faux egg festival where something is hidden on the board and we need to have some volunteers (or everyone) look for it? If that won't work, perhaps we can do something along the lines of Dance of the Moonlight Jellies, but share artwork, stories and other creations during that time?

Just some food for thought, but I fully support ways to get the community involved and just simply have fun and fellowship.
I love this idea! It would really bring together the community. I feel like it would be a great way to for all the people on here to get to know each other a little better! I would love to participate in this, as I've thought about something similar myself. I really just love the idea of a bunch of people with a similar interest getting together and getting along... even if it's through something as simple as a forum. I think it would be refreshing after all these months of separation.

I agree, anything creative or involving humor, fun, or playfulness (or promoting these, and Stardew too) is fantastic. There could also be the occasional unorthodox contests regarding random in-game tasks, winner judged by screenshots perhaps (e.g., most creative use of *insert random color or object here*) lol. The only problem with contests is, usually there"s some kind of prize associated, even if it is just forum signature bragging rights, so maybe some creativity would be needed there also (or maybe other's might not be so keen on it). I tend to enjoy reading people's polls and stuff for the involvement it gives and insights into other's fun/adventures and play styles. Folks get so creative with certain tasks it is a joy to look at the images of what they do in their farms that is for fun, silly, cute or unorthodox, though I see this more often on Reddit.

Other community creativity that might be different: Stardew fan-art-puzzle-games/word games/mad libs and other types of games or activities even digital Stardew collage art, character profile creating/sharing, character or image combining/remixing might be fun for those interested, though maybe not terribly practical/doable given the need to also respect intellectual property (some complications maybe, not sure). So, maybe more traditional forum activities are needed. I thought the contest to replace the banner art for Pride on Reddit was also good (maybe this is done often, I just started browsing there recently), but I don't seen an obvious way to do stuff like that here other than a sticky post maybe. An every few months activity/contest/poll sticky is not a bad idea maybe, 🤔 not sure.

Love the other ideas, lots of fantastic ones. Especially the Q/A with CA.

Last edited:

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, thanks for all of your feedback so far, and I apologize for taking so long to get back. I haven't been able to devote as much time to the forums as I'd like to because of some IRL stuff, so there's been some delays in me doing stuff here.

I do think going the more traditional route and taking advantage of the forums themselves would be great. I love the scavenger hunt ideas and maybe more broad themes for contests. For them, I would like to be able to reward trophies, but we're using vanilla xenforo (the type of forum this site runs on) which makes rewards a little difficult. I'll have to make some changes and properly install some ways we can manage trophies and make them more rewarding to have, too. Along with that I think temporary/interchangeable taglines would be nice (like the space that has 'Sodbuster' or 'Farmer' while mine is 'Administrator', etc)

There's not really many non-forum things I would give out, even though I like the idea. I just would rather encourage some creativity and togetherness. I think bragging rights is a good enough part for that, but we can certainly do more. I'll be mulling on it and try to see what else we can do, too.

Needless to say maybe we won't start doing little contests until later. I was hoping to have something for this month, but I would be rushing for something a bit mediocre if I did that.

In case anyone doesn't know, though, the Stardew Valley Discord (it's fan-run, I run it on my free time along with several other wonderful people) does seasonal events and usually there's lots of fun things we do. There's a Summer event going on right now if you'd like to check it out :)