What if Stardew Valley was in Vr?

Pip_squeak

Newcomer
I know it might not be possible but I have been wishing that Stardew Valley was in Vr ever since the first time I played. All the "closest things" can't compare to the amazing game of Stardew Valley.

LRangerR

Local Legend
I'm pretty sure Ape doesn't want to code this game in VR as well. I've seen similar ventures pushed in similar games but they never got off the ground and faltered. But that could always be due to poor ownership/management. Even so, Ape is only one guy, and he needs his chocolate ghosts

Lew Zealand

Helper
Stardew is only a 2D game so translation to a 3D environment would be... imperfect. Like a whole new level of imperfect where the committee making these words might consider stronger language. My Time at Portia could be a preview of how that would go and IMO it doesn't compare for a very clear and solid reason.

When we play SDV, it engages our imagination to fill in all the gaps, especially with the NPCs. Providing nuance to the dialog, drawing our own conclusions about body language and tone. MTaP took that away and replaced it with a particular style of models and behaviors that you can see and then not see anything else. You're restricted to a single mode of interaction. It didn't work for me nearly as well as SDV. I completed the game and enjoyed the storyline and it was fun as the game progression works pretty well.

But it was ultimately not engaging because the game dictated the visual terms of interaction in a far more discrete manner than SDV. The visual open-endedness of SDV is another of it's strengths which is not immediately apparent upon first playing it (tile based? low-pixel count sprites??), but which allows everyone to create their own, more personal interaction with the game.

VR is all about dictating the visual terms. Leave that for other games.