What am I doing with a slime hutch?

Chaya7

Planter
But the slimes are still aggressive towards you when you have the slime hutch. Is there a way to not get damage dealt by slimes?
Yes: the slime charm ring. You get it from the Guild once you've killed enough slimes. You can have a slime hutch without the ring, though, because you keep them confined, as shown in the Wiki.

Avendesura

Greenhorn
I imagine they meant that they put a slime incubator in the village and put eggs in them, to hatch and then roam free.

Slimes drop slime when they are slain, as you know, plus sometimes a few other items. But once you have built a slime hutch on your farm, you are then able to occasionally get a slime egg drop from a slain slime. This is rare, though; I have only gotten maybe 5 slime eggs this way.

You can also get a slime egg by crafting a slime egg-press and then putting 100 slimes into it. Then you put the resulting egg into a slime incubator that you have crafted yourself. But you want to use the incubator inside the slime hutch; else you will end up with slimes roaming free.
That all makes sense! This whole slime thing is new to me but it seems like a lot of fun so this is my next goal. Thank you for your answers!