What am I doing with a slime hutch?

Odin

Staff member
Yeah, a slime hutch is generally not going to be the best way to make money or anything like that, it's a good way to get slime (the item) which is needed to craft some stuff, but that's about it. Otherwise it's just a fun thing to have, but many people will skip it

kohlrak

Farmhand
Now hold up. Slime eggs, especially purple slime eggs, are worth quite a bit of money. Mostly I collect the slime-goo and press eggs. Then I breed my slimes in the village just because I love to see them greeting the villagers by name.
They do that now?

Bananapaws

Sodbuster
They do that now?
They've done it for years. It's one of the most adorable things ever. They won't attack anyone but you (so you should wear your charmer ring) but they'll bounce around through town and often you'll see one call out "Good morning, Caroline" or "Hello, Leah" and the village will sometimes reply "Good morning, Green Slime." I had a colony near Leah's house get confused and call every human that wandered by 'Leah'. Not a shot from my game, but this is what you'll get.

1587553093299.png

kohlrak

Farmhand
They've done it for years. It's one of the most adorable things ever. They won't attack anyone but you (so you should wear your charmer ring) but they'll bounce around through town and often you'll see one call out "Good morning, Caroline" or "Hello, Leah" and the village will sometimes reply "Good morning, Green Slime." I had a colony near Leah's house get confused and call every human that wandered by 'Leah'. Not a shot from my game, but this is what you'll get.

View attachment 317
And here i've been sitting here with my boring old slime hutch that doesn't do much. You've filled me with determination!

Avendesura

Greenhorn

View attachment 317
This is awesome! I had no idea about this other than raising them in the hutch..guess i have a new objective now lol

Chaya7

Planter
Now hold up. Slime eggs, especially purple slime eggs, are worth quite a bit of money. Mostly I collect the slime-goo and press eggs. Then I breed my slimes in the village just because I love to see them greeting the villagers by name.
I actually held onto the slime hutch after all and began doing just that. It is pretty profitable.

Cole

Farmhand
I feel like a lot of the time the slime hutch is used more as a fun passion project kind of activity in the late game when you’re not too worried about money.

Chaya7

Planter
I feel like a lot of the time the slime hutch is used more as a fun passion project kind of activity in the late game when you’re not too worried about money.
I think you're right. I wouldn't have spent time or money on it if I were still trying to achieve goals. Well, I have a couple of goals left, and I can always make my own goals...but I have no cares.

kohlrak

Farmhand
That was always my goal, really. "Oh look, i can raise slimes! Let's turn this into dragon quest!"

RiderJ

Greenhorn
How do you do that?

Avendesura

Greenhorn
I would also like to know what you mean by "breeding them in the village"? Also, are there other ways to get slime eggs (aside from defeating slimes?) I have the one Slime that Marlon gave me but no slimes have dropped any eggs

Chaya7

Planter
I would also like to know what you mean by "breeding them in the village"? Also, are there other ways to get slime eggs (aside from defeating slimes?) I have the one Slime that Marlon gave me but no slimes have dropped any eggs
I imagine they meant that they put a slime incubator in the village and put eggs in them, to hatch and then roam free.

Slimes drop slime when they are slain, as you know, plus sometimes a few other items. But once you have built a slime hutch on your farm, you are then able to occasionally get a slime egg drop from a slain slime. This is rare, though; I have only gotten maybe 5 slime eggs this way.

You can also get a slime egg by crafting a slime egg-press and then putting 100 slimes into it. Then you put the resulting egg into a slime incubator that you have crafted yourself. But you want to use the incubator inside the slime hutch; else you will end up with slimes roaming free.