Way Too Many Prismatic Shards

Juice27

Greenhorn
I thought that I would share my shard experience because I think it's reaaally weird. In all of the 400+ hours I've put into the game, I had only ever found 1 prismatic shard in my first ever game. I recently bought my boyfriend a copy of the game so that we could play together, and when I saw the recipe for the wedding ring I was sad and started telling him about how I had all these hours in the game and have only ever found one shard. I think sometime at the end of year one I found one by killing a bat and thought "oh how lucky!" Now we're in winter of year 3 and I have found... 6 and he has found 1 for a total of 7 (granted I'm not forgetting any). Now every time we find one, we laugh about "oh they're so rare, rarest item in the game!" We've started running out of things to do with them lol

Has anyone else noticed an increase in shards in their multiplayer games? I was thinking that maybe our individual chances of finding them stacked because there were two people in one game, but I have no clue as to why I'm suddenly finding so many. I also started playing the game shortly after it came out, so maybe the odds have just increased!

imnvs

Local Legend
Yeah, I burned through 10 just to get one pair of prismatic pants... and it was the genie pants. I didn't want the genie pants. I had to burn through another 10. Most expensive pants in the world.

Also, something to mention, shards become less rare as you progress in the game. Not because the % changes, but because more things can drop it so you'll get more shots at that chance happening.

Ereo

Helper
I think it also depends on playstyle a lot. I like skull cavern and I never had a problem finding lots of shards.

Someone who finds skill cavern stressful and focuses on fishing or farming will probably have a much harder time finding them.

Bananapaws

Sodbuster
Those I'm not having any trouble finding, that's for sure. Now trying to get my hands on a mummified bat has been a task. (I emailed Support this morning asking which characters are virgins so I know which one to toss into the volcano. So far no response.)

MaidenOfGore

Farmhand
Those I'm not having any trouble finding, that's for sure. Now trying to get my hands on a mummified bat has been a task. (I emailed Support this morning asking which characters are virgins so I know which one to toss into the volcano. So far no response.)
Hahahah xD I am having the same struggle with the dang bat. But I don't ever come across prismatic shards >:|

alrhuff

Tiller
I had no trouble finding a bat, found it on my second visit. I can't find the tail bone of the four legged whatever it is.

imnvs

Local Legend
I had no trouble finding a bat, found it on my second visit. I can't find the tail bone of the four legged whatever it is.
If you would like a hint: you have to pan for it.

If you'd like a bit more than a hint: you have to pan for it in the little river that passes by the dig site.

Hoots711

Greenhorn
Ive found 7 or 8 in 5 game years. Sound like a lot but took 7 to get vampire sword and upgrade hoe/watering can to the 5x5 area. I prob need another 4-8 to upgrade pickaxe and axe

RainbowJumino

Newcomer
Have fun with your prismatic shards. I have absolutely zero in year eleven while my friend has 6 in year 4. I’m crying myself to sleep every night trying to find one. I would like advice and consolation that doesn’t include the number of shards you have unless you are farther in the game than me and have zero shards as well. I’m dying on the inside trying to find one, I’ve spent thousands at Clint’s on geode for ROCKS! What am I doing wrong? 🥲

Rhiannon

Farmer
Have fun with your prismatic shards. I have absolutely zero in year eleven while my friend has 6 in year 4. I’m crying myself to sleep every night trying to find one. I would like advice and consolation that doesn’t include the number of shards you have unless you are farther in the game than me and have zero shards as well. I’m dying on the inside trying to find one, I’ve spent thousands at Clint’s on geode for ROCKS! What am I doing wrong? 🥲
I think since this post was first posted, there has been a slight increase in chance for getting a prismatic shard. I'm into year 3 with my current save and I've found two.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I think since this post was first posted, there has been a slight increase in chance for getting a prismatic shard. I'm into year 3 with my current save and I've found two.
Unless you are on mobile or smt it shouldn’t have. 1.5 didn’t even really buff any methods mostly added some new ones which aren’t even the best ways.

nicodeux

Farmer
I'm really sorry that you have played this long without finding one.
In my opinion, if you are in dire need of a Prismatic Shard, the best way is to reach the Volcano caldera (10th floor) on Ginger Island as there is one shard waiting for you in a chest there.

If for some reason, this is not a option or is already done, I know that breaking mystic stones or opening geodes seem the easiest, but I suggest doing deep runs in Skull Cavern instead, again and again: breaking bombing iridium nodes is the most efficient way to get a Prismatic Shard.

Quirinea

Farmer
Also there is a slight chance of getting one as a monster drop -- any monster if I remember right -- after you reach the bottom of the mines. Meaning that going through low levels and hitting all the monsters gives a possibility to grind.
Yeah, it's sheer luck and can change rapidly: I was not so far in, game, but after getting none at all, I got two the same in-game-day. One for Calico, one for museum, yay.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i followed advice from an old-timer here. clear out all the rocks in the quarry. then check it each day for an itanium drop. then break it open. if it does not have a prismatic shard then cancel the day and start again. fortunately my drop had a prismatic shard and i got the galaxy sword that way. that really helped me. after that i have gotten two in combat in scull cavern.