Creator Response [Update 11/1/21: Restock announced!] The board game is currently out of stock, and a second printing is in the works!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcfiala

Greenhorn
Oh my, only 20k? Hahaha. Well here's to the best of luck fulfilling what i'm sure is a massive backlog of orders that you guys have now :beer:
20K is a lot of board games - I'm a board game enthusiast in addition to being a Stardew Valley enthusiast, and I don't blame them for taking it easy on the first printing. In time, we'll all get the copies we want (need) and be happily playing. And once COVID's done with, we can show up with our copies at game conventions to play together. :)

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
20K is a lot of board games - I'm a board game enthusiast in addition to being a Stardew Valley enthusiast, and I don't blame them for taking it easy on the first printing. In time, we'll all get the copies we want (need) and be happily playing. And once COVID's done with, we can show up with our copies at game conventions to play together. :)
Yeah we felt like 20k was plenty but they went very fast. We're doing our best now to make sure every copy gets shipped as quickly as it can and to the correct address! Quartermaster is doing an amazing job. Appreciate everyone's patience.

ConraDargo

Tiller
20k really is a lot for a board game, but I'm sure it sounds like "nothing" to someone who's not into the board gaming market. However, printing a game isn't cheap and you also have to think about that all these games needs to be stored somewhere, if not sold as printed-on-demand - which would of course make the price skyrocket (and you'd have to wait for some time in order to receive the finished product).

Most designers, especially those not backed by a huge game company or publisher such as Z-Man Games or Asmodee, only print a couple of thousand of copies when they publish their game, hoping to break even on that number or possibly earn a little! Way too many designers think that they're gonna earn money easy-peasy by creating a game and that considering how big the market is, selling "a couple of thousands" shouldn't be a big problem. Well most of them end up with piles of unsold copies in their garage or at some rented warehouse or container, until they're forced to sell them at a loss (at best).

Very few ppl actually manage to earn a living on thinking up and selling board games. Now ConcernedApe doesn't need to be concerned about this, naturally, since he already has conquered (yes, conquered) the digital market and have a great deal of money to invest in a product such as this. Still that doesn't mean that one can just produce an almost infinite number of copies. They still needs to be stored somewhere and you really wanna make sure that they do sell out eventually. Plus, there's always the risk of something going wrong in the process, be it something as easy as spelling errors or misprints of cards and whatnot. This is something that you'll want to fix in your next print-run, without having too many ppl end up with "faulty" products.

Printing 20k was a pretty bold yet well thought-out decision imo and I'm just as astonished by how quickly they all sold out, even if the Stardew Valley community is a big one - and so is the board gaming hobby. But because it is so big, regardless of having a famous IP/brand, you still have thousands of new and exciting games to go up against every year that hits the market through Kickstarter as well as publishers and game companies, big and small.

LRangerR

Local Legend
...you still have thousands of new and exciting games to go up against every year that hits the market through Kickstarter as well as publishers and game companies, big and small.
All valid points, but as soon as I saw they had a board game i just knew it was going to sell really well. Regardless, congrats on the first run @Colito and Ape.

ConraDargo

Tiller
Oh I never doubted they'd have good sales, but selling out within a day despite printing as many as 20k?? That really shocked me once they revealed the quantity 😆 (would've understood it more had it been 3-5k)

LRangerR

Local Legend
Oh I never doubted they'd have good sales, but selling out within a day despite printing as many as 20k?? That really shocked me once they revealed the quantity 😆 (would've understood it more had it been 3-5k)
Board games have gotten quite big and reached a much larger audience from my experience with these things. The audience that he has "conquered" is actually quite a diverse one as well. Everything from casual to hardcore gamers, as well as the extremely casual mobile gamers. SDV is one of those rare indie games that can actually compete with major productions in both the digital and board game market, and it's a really well known game, despite it's genre. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me that they had sold out of 50k-100k copies in the first week, maybe even the first day. 20k is a very modest number for the first run of this game imo, but i understand all the reasons they did it. (I had a friend of mine with a really well designed board game get about 2 palettes worth of product stuck in a foreclosed warehouse somewhere in France...they never recovered them. Despite this he was able to recover from the loss, which isn't easy for independent developers.)

gnysek

Farmhand
Only 45 among 25000+ tabletop games on Kickstarter got more than 20k backers. However I'm not sure if any of them made such amount in one day - and they always had a months of promotion before campaing starts, while here we just got info on same moment that sales started. So that's awesome score (as for non-kickstarter and not-promoted before game).

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
Is there any update on when the second batch will be released?
Not yet, I'll certainly post when there's info! (Although with how quickly the first printing sold out, you may want to follow CA directly)

Lowden

Greenhorn
Not yet, I'll certainly post when there's info! (Although with how quickly the first printing sold out, you may want to follow CA directly)
I'm following him,i was just checking if there was something that happened that wasn't announced

Thanks you :)

Odin

Staff member
Wave 2 will ship to Canada?
Any timeline?
While Cole and ConcernedApe are looking into making the game available outside the US, there's no way to know if that will happen at the same time more are back in stock.

While Cole and ConcernedApe are looking into making the game available outside the US, there's no way to know if that will happen at the same time more are back in stock.
I want to offer my help with the printing of his board game on the territory of Ukraine and the CIS countries, but unfortunately I have not yet received an answer. :frown:

Colito

Board Game Designer
Staff member
I want to offer my help with the printing of his board game on the territory of Ukraine and the CIS countries, but unfortunately I have not yet received an answer. :frown:
Hey there! I plan to circle back to such offers of help as soon as I can, I'm just trying to make sure all customers of the first run are totally taken care of first. Appreciate your patience!

Hey there! I plan to circle back to such offers of help as soon as I can, I'm just trying to make sure all customers of the first run are totally taken care of first. Appreciate your patience!
Thank you so much for answering me!
Now I know that you are not ignoring me, but simply busy. I apologize for my impatience.

I will wait for news from you. Thanks again!

MaxPowerSr

Greenhorn
I almost never do something my wife asks on the first time. Somehow, when she sent this link to buy this... the stars aligned and my wallet was nearby and I bought it immediately.

When I see weeks later it sold out in 24 hours... wow. Insane. I should do what she says more often...

It's a birthday gift for my son when he turns 6. Him and his 8 year old sister are obsessed with stardew. Heck, it helped encourage him to read better! Can't wait to play this as a family.

ConraDargo

Tiller
I myself am no longer in hurry getting a physical copy after seeing how the quality of the components turned out for a lot of people after receiving their game from this first wave... I shall patiently await a future print when I know that the quality has improved! And until then I'll play the game on TTS, which is a real blast btw and very easy to do thanks to good scripting ^^

PorkChop

Planter
I almost never do something my wife asks on the first time. Somehow, when she sent this link to buy this... the stars aligned and my wallet was nearby and I bought it immediately.

When I see weeks later it sold out in 24 hours... wow. Insane. I should do what she says more often...

It's a birthday gift for my son when he turns 6. Him and his 8 year old sister are obsessed with stardew. Heck, it helped encourage him to read better! Can't wait to play this as a family.
Nice! Hope you and your family have fun with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.