uhhm.hhm. how can i get rid of my dog

rippytrippy

Planter
i have a dog on my secondary save file and i hate him so much

istg he's so annoying :eyeroll: he likes to bark really loudly and get in my way like... bro
the only thing i like about him is his name LOL

So is there any way I can *poof* him and maybe replace him with a cat?

imnvs

Local Legend
I'm sorry, man. You can't. I know you can edit your save to turn it into a cat, but I'm not 100% what to edit in the save. I just know it can be done.

My one save with a dog I have the same issue. Also, when he barks it makes my dog IRL perk up and start barking too (Ugh! So annoying!).

I have muted all farm animals on that save to avoid hearing my barking dog. Doesn't swap him for a cat but it does make me like playing that save a lot more.

LRangerR

Local Legend
i have a dog on my secondary save file and i hate him so much

istg he's so annoying :eyeroll: he likes to bark really loudly and get in my way like... bro
the only thing i like about him is his name LOL

So is there any way I can *poof* him and maybe replace him with a cat?
I really don't blame you.

imnvs

Local Legend
Hold up... I kinda misread the question, I think.

I thought it was a 2-part question. Can you *poof* your dog? (As in make it disappear.) Can I turn dog into cat?

That's why I said no, at first, because that was supposed to be answering part 1, and then I went on to say you CAN edit save file to turn dog to cat, but I don't know how.

DesertBoots

Sodbuster
I solved a great deal of the dog in the way problem by arranging my farm a certain way. The space around the water bowl has room for the dog, but can only be entered from the south through a path. This prevents 99% of the dog on the farm in my way, with no gates.

Otherwise, fence around your dog bowl. The dog should stay inside it.

I have the horse over by the entrance from Pelican Town. To the left of my house is a shed (set back one space for kegs in front), then three spaces and then the green house, all aligned to a East-West walkway that starts at the house stairs. Behind the shed is the silo and behind that I stuck a statue so the dog is penned on the right side. Behind the greenhouse is the mill, again with something blocking that extra space. There's a solar panel next to the walkway between the shed and the greenhouse, which further narrows the entrance to two spaces. And the return portal space isn't blocked at the back either.

rippytrippy

Planter
I solved a great deal of the dog in the way problem by arranging my farm a certain way. The space around the water bowl has room for the dog, but can only be entered from the south through a path. This prevents 99% of the dog on the farm in my way, with no gates.

Otherwise, fence around your dog bowl. The dog should stay inside it.

I have the horse over by the entrance from Pelican Town. To the left of my house is a shed (set back one space for kegs in front), then three spaces and then the green house, all aligned to a East-West walkway that starts at the house stairs. Behind the shed is the silo and behind that I stuck a statue so the dog is penned on the right side. Behind the greenhouse is the mill, again with something blocking that extra space. There's a solar panel next to the walkway between the shed and the greenhouse, which further narrows the entrance to two spaces. And the return portal space isn't blocked at the back either.
so basically just trap that bastard in a fence

boyliker

Sodbuster
this tutorial is for windows, sorry if you're mac or linux but i have windows lolz

i'd firstly suggest checking out this page, specifically the edit a save section. before doing this, please make sure to backup your save files!

install sublime text and the two packages that the wiki recommends, it's really easy so if you have questions just ask i can help you further

anyway, in your save files folder (%appdata%\StardewValley\Saves) open up the file [YOUR FARM NAME]_[NUMBERS] (for example mine is Lamare_832525 or whatever tf the numbers are, don't open up the one that has _old at the end) and open up the file that says SaveGameInfo in sublime text.

in the first file I told you to open, use ctrl+f to find <NPC xsi:type="Dog"> and change the dog to Cat.

next, go to the second file i told you to open (savegameinfo) and find "<dogPerson>true</dogPerson>" and change the dog to cat. you can change the breed number here but idk what the breed numbers are, maybe play around with it. The name should be the same and your friendship with your pet will carry through as well

let me know if this didn't work for you, and, again, make sure to back up your save before trying this out ^^ good luck

Last edited:

Elenna101

Farmer
Thanks for the instructions @boyliker !

BTW, if you don't want to install anything, you can just open the save file with Notepad - it's just that the whole thing is a gigantic block of text so it's a pain to read, but ctrl+F works fine if you know what to look for. Notepad++ also works if you have that.

boyliker

Sodbuster
Thanks for the instructions @boyliker !

BTW, if you don't want to install anything, you can just open the save file with Notepad - it's just that the whole thing is a gigantic block of text so it's a pain to read, but ctrl+F works fine if you know what to look for. Notepad++ also works if you have that.
you're SO RIGHT i forgot about notepad / ++ LMFAO . how do you forget about notepad...

Bilqy

Greenhorn
I've had it up to here with my cat, and I love cats. My problem personally is that they function differently from other farm animals. I can phase through those on foot and horseback, while my cat just kind of nudges away bit by bit when I try to go through a narrow path.