Types of Playthroughs

Some people don't play long enough for this but try crop rotation. You cannot plant a the same crop on a square for the current or next season.

So example if you were to plant parsnip, potatoes, and cauliflower over the same field in spring the following spring you would have to plant rhubarb, green beans, flowers, wild, garlic or strawberries.

For multi seasonal you would skip years like only planting corn, wheat, coffee and ancient fruit every other year.

The same could be done for livestock for rotations as chickens/ducks would need to be replaced every three years. Cows/goats cannot be milked until successful calving/kidding. Since pigs/rabbits are not producing items (ignoring rabbits foot) they are excluded.

Honeywell

Sodbuster
Worblehat, Highlander Challenge is the perfect name! 😆 For storms, the luckier the day the more lightning strikes you get. If it's a high luck day and all of my lightning rods have a charge I'll take a few up and put them back down again so there's room for more strikes. But 20-25 lightning rods is the number I use for good protection and that's always seemed to be enough.

I would struggle HARD with this, assuming this applies to the chest as well. Sure, chest and stone chest are different items, and you'd have the fridge and mini fridge to work with, but frankly I'm way too much of a hoarder for that to be even close to enough.
It would be a challenge for sure but I think storage would be one of the quicker/easier things to overcome. You can build a wooden chest, upgrade your backpack, buy a Mill to use for storage and upgrade your farmhouse for the kitchen. At that point you'd be able to purchase unlimited mini fridges for farm storage. Later you'd have access to a stone chest, auto grabbers, a junimo hut and junimo chests if you played long enough.

I see the main challenge being building an end game economy with these restrictions because there's not much you can scale up. Not sure I'd have the patience to play long enough to do it myself. I like the initial challenge of designing a strategy but then I tend to get bored.

I have about the same amount, 20-25. I just kept adding a few every year for good measure. During a really good storm I get lots of batteries and haven't lost anything to lightning.

Gaea65

Greenhorn
Simple enough concept, post any playthrough ideas you have so we can all draw inspiration from each other if anyone is looking to mix it up! I'll start with the lowest of the low hanging fruit:

Joja Playthrough - You go the Joja route, RPing as a Joja employee. Otherwise no special stipulations or limitations.

Plus some challenge ones I've done, in roughly order of difficulty imho:

Community Center or Bust! - Best done as a competition, the challenge is to see what is the lowest calendar day you can get the Community Center done. Optionally also with the Remix bundles, whether the folks competing against each other are or are not doing the same bundles may drastically influence fairness though.

Forgot my Hoe - You don't have a hoe. Bombs are your only means of digging up soil, which makes farming challenging, especially early on. You can also do Forgot my Axe, but Forgot my Pickaxe generally doesn't work.

Self Reliant - You don't shop anywhere. Anything you want, you need to craft, and all purchasable recipes are out. Note that this renders the Community Center unachievable unless you carve out exceptions for structures and animals (plus a sunflower seed and poppy seed) or go the Joja route. I personally carved out exceptions for those, plus tool upgrades, backpack upgrades, and a bean starter and blueberry seed. That was as hardcore as I wanted to go with it, but technically none of those things are needed to complete the community center.

Hunger Strike - You don't eat or drink, ever. Sleeping and the Spa are your only means of Energy Regeneration. Lew might enjoy it. The Skull Caverns are a challenge like this, to say the least. Objectively not the most challenging, but I found it the most challenging because it clashed so severely with my natural playstyle and inclinations. Gotta admit, didn't finish the community center with this one, couldn't do it.

What are some ones you've done, or ideas you have for one?

There is one playthrough I want to try, but have never really had the courage or opportunity to start. is the 'self-reliant/sufficient farm.'. It means no buying materials from Robin or Clint, no buying seeds or cooking items, etc. from Pierre or Joja, and only using the traveling cart for purchases. (Upgrading tools and building is okay, but no buying animals or hay.

Andrew<3

Newcomer
There's always the challenge of speak to everyone, every day.
By everyone, I mean everyone on your friends list (sorry Gunther).
This makes it possible, because characters like Kent you obviously cannot speak to in year 1. I'd like to also suggest trying to give every character 2 beloved gifts every week.

I'm not sure if this is possible on festival days or not. On the one hand, it gathers everyone together. On the other hand, I haven't yet figured out speaking to Evelyn on Spirit's Eve, I don't know where she goes :sweat:

hexnessie

Farmer
I'm not yet experienced enough to make most of the challenges you listed, but I will be doing the Non-Alcoholic Route next playthrough -- no making money on spirits! Wine, hops, beer etc are banned. I will be a playing a lady fresh off a marriage breakup with a high-functioning alcoholic, and I will be really trying to just never have to see (or smell) any beer ever again.

I feel that the spirits kind of break the game economy as they sell for insane prices (starfruit wine, anyone) so after a short while there's really nothing to do. I'm going to see if skipping wines and ales is going to extend the fun "let's make enough money" phase of the game.

GDawney

Sodbuster
I'm not yet experienced enough to make most of the challenges you listed, but I will be doing the Non-Alcoholic Route next playthrough -- no making money on spirits! Wine, hops, beer etc are banned. I will be a playing a lady fresh off a marriage breakup with a high-functioning alcoholic, and I will be really trying to just never have to see (or smell) any beer ever again.

I feel that the spirits kind of break the game economy as they sell for insane prices (starfruit wine, anyone) so after a short while there's really nothing to do. I'm going to see if skipping wines and ales is going to extend the fun "let's make enough money" phase of the game.
What about Pam's request for a Pale Ale, then?

hexnessie

Farmer
What about Pam's request for a Pale Ale, then?
My general assumption was not to craft spirits for profit, but I'm not decided yet what to do about quests. I might just skip it. I don't remember what the reward on that one is...

I'm going to have to make or buy some wine for the Community Center at some point, I guess. Maybe I could buy the Pale Ale somewhere for Pam.

Quirinea

Farmer
I'm usually not trying to get a challenge -- like more a relaxed type of playing (heavy use of timespeed....) But I'm using mods also for variety. A new farm map for every playthrough (Even when I test something and don't wish to have extra content). Content-adding mods (RSV, sundry mods adding characters or events, etc. -- I don't like SVE). My current game is a test run for my Finnish translation + some others adding content.
Bundle mods (there is e.g. a vegan one). I've been thinking of a slow game where I'd focus on one skill at the time -- like no going to mines before fishing is at 10, minimal or no fishing before farming is 10, minimal farming before foraging is ten. Or befriending villages in preset order.

Quirinea

Farmer
My general assumption was not to craft spirits for profit, but I'm not decided yet what to do about quests. I might just skip it. I don't remember what the reward on that one is...

I'm going to have to make or buy some wine for the Community Center at some point, I guess. Maybe I could buy the Pale Ale somewhere for Pam.
There is a mod where Pam asks for juice instead. The subject did not say anything about using mods, though most of the ideas seem to presume the vanilla game.

Lew Zealand

Helper

The Preserves Jar is still very profitable so even if you go the boozeless route, you can still enjoy the vast majority of the game-breaking swimming-in-g profits using the Jar. And the really best thing about that for those of me you who are simply too impatient to get your mitts on filthy lucre, is that you can realize your profits quicker since the Preserves Jar finishes processing in only 2.5 days and Casking iridium goat/cheese a mere 14 days.

Insta-profit when compared to the endless boring waitingess of Kegging and Casking the various boozeahols.

Tom

Rancher
I'm not yet experienced enough to make most of the challenges you listed, but I will be doing the Non-Alcoholic Route next playthrough.
I'd like to try this. But the story quest from Pam for Pale Ale and the alcoholic bundles are an issue unless you just have one keg for those, keep it in a far corner of the farm, and hold your nose when you go over there. I'd probably install a mod to work around that for the story needs just like I turned combat into dangerous love arts with Pacifist Valley mod. Now if there were just some vegan substitute for the fish dishes....

Quirinea

Farmer
I'd like to try this. But the story quest from Pam for Pale Ale and the alcoholic bundles are an issue unless you just have one keg for those, keep it in a far corner of the farm, and hold your nose when you go over there. I'd probably install a mod to work around that for the story needs just like I turned combat into dangerous love arts with Pacifist Valley mod. Now if there were just some vegan substitute for the fish dishes....
Started just think of a "Sober Valley" mod, where everything that requires the player to produce, handle or drink alcohol would be changed to something else (bundle items, Pam's request, the event where Elliot offers drink to the player). The main problem are the casks in Cellar (in case the player does not wish to be a large-scale cheesemaker). There's something in their code that is hard to configure.

Removing alcohol altogether would mean large or peculiar story changes (the stories of Pam and Shane, especially).

Reactions: Tom