Trying to make a custom minecart location?

FoxxRiddle

Newcomer
I don't know the first thing about making mods besides how to edit the sprite png and a general idea of how to use tiled... :love:
I'm trying to make a custom minecart location into the farm but I don't know how to actually create that function..
I have the minecart added to the map, that's about it so far. I'm editing the foraging map.

Edit: I gave it a test run and there's a bunch of invisible walls where boundaries I removed used to be.. How do I get rid of those?

I really want to get into modding so I figured I'd start with this. Any help would be appreciated. <3

(If you know any good mod guides besides what's on sdv wiki that would be great too. Stuff that breaks it down "for dummies".)

Attachments

Last edited:

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I don't know the first thing about making mods besides how to edit the sprite png and a general idea of how to use tiled... :love:
I'm trying to make a custom minecart location into the farm but I don't know how to actually create that function..
I have the minecart added to the map, that's about it so far. I'm editing the foraging map.

Edit: I gave it a test run and there's a bunch of invisible walls where boundaries I removed used to be.. How do I get rid of those?

I really want to get into modding so I figured I'd start with this. Any help would be appreciated. <3

(If you know any good mod guides besides what's on sdv wiki that would be great too. Stuff that breaks it down "for dummies".)
What little modding I've done (nothing published) involves looking at the mods of others and cribbing code. Maybe check what other makers of new minecart spots have done?

I know there are a lot of invisible barriers in maps, they're usually coded into a second layer. I know stuff like that is handled either via Extra Map Layers or in PYTK but I don't know how those mods are used, just that they're used.

FoxxRiddle

Newcomer
:sweat: I don't know how to read through what they've done to be able to reuse the method but I'm going to keep trying to figure it out. I'll look into the extra layers too, thank you

Lenora Rose

Farmer
:sweat: I don't know how to read through what they've done to be able to reuse the method but I'm going to keep trying to figure it out. I'll look into the extra layers too, thank you
Many have their code available to view on GitHub or such, but barring that you can also download the mod (to somewhere other than your mod file if you don't wish to use it) and just look at the code. You can also directly message other modders who seem to have done what you want to do, as long as you're asking specific questions.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
There are also old threads on the Chucklefish forums and here which have more tutorials and directions. Chucklefish has mostly been superceded for new posts by this forum here but the old info contains some gold. It takes a skilled hand at search terms and some patience, though.

My other recent find is Lemurkat's wordpress blog. It's mostly about NPCs as that is their specialty, but on the way there are posts about making new maps or editing maps, which are used to create places for people to live but might still be helpful for minecarts.

zzluis12

Greenhorn

Hey, i want the same thing, but i have the opossite problem.
I do know how to configure the minecart to move you from a destination to another, but i dont know how to place the actual minecart in-game

I mean, it actually warps me to a the place i want to move (custom harvest moon mineral town map, at the east of pelican town)
but i dont know how to add a minecart in the spot i arrive, so i can minecart back to somewhere else