Issue Trouble with dialogue replacer commands, also some questions about probability

I'm a newbie modder (and first-time poster). This is my first time making my own mod from the ground up, so it's extremely possible I'm making basic mistakes.
My first issue is with dialogue replacer commands not working. I tried to use "%kid1" but it showed up in game as "%kid1" and not the name of my child (I do have a child in this save and the vanilla dialogue has no issues using his name). Even worse, it's from an original dialogue line and I don't think I even touched the replacer command itself. This is the line I have in my .JSON file:
"OneKid_1": "#$c .5#Little %kid1 is going to have such a great childhood here.#I didn't realize how much I could love a child until we had %kid1.#$b#I love Jas and Vincent, but it isn't quite the same.",​
And this is what I got in game:
20210115_152804.jpg

Also, with probability, the "#$c .5" bit, I know that gives a 50% chance either the first or second part play, but how does that affect things after that, if you will? The "I love Jas and Vincent..." bit is only supposed to go with the second option ("I didn't realize how much..."), but I think I might remember it playing along with the first option? It could just be my faulty memory, though.
And with $c, can it be nested? For example, could I have something like "#$c .33#dialogue one#$c .33#dialogue two#dialogue three"?

Last edited: