Tracker profession should make all foraged items gold quality

There would still be many reasons to choose Botanist over Tracker (friendship from iridium quality gifts, winter seed profit, truffles, berry season) but you would at least get the same benefit of foraged items taking up much less inventory space.
I completely agree that the tracker profession should have another benefit besides "tracking" forageables. Especially since by the point at which you would have it, there is very little incentive to forage at all.

imnvs

Local Legend
I completely agree that the tracker profession should have another benefit besides "tracking" forageables. Especially since by the point at which you would have it, there is very little incentive to forage at all.
You typically complete the museum collection before reaching level 10 in the Foraging skill? How?

You typically complete the museum collection before reaching level 10 in the Foraging skill? How?
What do you mean? What I'm trying to say is that there's very little incentive to have the tracker profession by level 10 foraging. Because, by that point forageables aren't usually worth enough to purposefully look for them. And yes, it does show you where artifact spots are, but I personally don't think that is worth it. I usually just run into a lot of artifact spots when I'm out gifting or when I go to Robin's to build something or buy some wood.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I definitely agree that the Tracker profession pales in comparison to the Botanist profession and could use some kind of buff. What about making it so that artifact spots have a higher chance of yielding actual artifacts, along with also pointing to spots where items are buried in the mines? That would make it a very useful profession for those who are trying to complete the museum. However, if that were to happen, then guaranteed gold-star forage items might make the profession too OP. If the artifact spot buff was a thing, maybe all forage items could be gold or silver in quality, weighted slightly more toward silver?

Additionally, if these buffs were to happen, then both professions in the Forester track would also need a buff. To start, the Forester profession makes it so that chopping yields 25% more wood. This can stay the same. Then there's the Lumberjack profession. All trees have a chance to drop hardwood, that part can stay. But what if chopping also yielded 50% more wood, and the sell price of wood and hardwood was doubled? Meanwhile, the Tapper profession can mostly stay the same, but I do think that one thing needs to change. To me, the Tapper profession should stack with the Artisan profession. I think it's only fair, seeing as syrups are considered to be artisan goods.

Last edited:

Kurachi84

Planter
I definitely agree that the Tracker profession pales in comparison to the Botanist profession and could use some kind of buff. What about making it so that artifact spots have a higher chance of yielding actual artifacts, along with also pointing to spots where items are buried in the mines? That would make it a very useful profession for those who are trying to complete the museum. However, if that were to happen, then guaranteed gold-star forage items might make the profession too OP. If the artifact spot buff was a thing, maybe all forage items could be gold or silver in quality, weighted slightly more toward silver?

Additionally, if these buffs were to happen, then both professions in the Forester track would also need a buff. To start, the Forester profession makes it so that chopping yields 25% more wood. This can stay the same. Then there's the Lumberjack profession. All trees have a chance to drop hardwood, that part can stay. But what if trees also dropped 50% more wood, and the sell price of wood and hardwood was doubled? Meanwhile, the Tapper profession can mostly stay the same, but I do think that one thing needs to change. To me, the Tapper profession should stack with the Artisan profession. I think it's only fair, seeing as syrups are considered to be artisan goods.
I agree, maybe no longer getting non-quality forage anymore, just silver or gold, so that there's SOME balance to it, but it's at least useful.
Getting only silver and gold quality, and easier times to find forage items and artifact spots, sounds pretty useful to me.(i use deluxe grabber mod, but imagining without while typing)

People have suggested with Tapper profession to reduce the tapping process, which i like more than increase prices of the items one can use for many things.

Nice to see the Tracker profession gets attention, as nearly no one likes it. And making it more useful for everyone, would be great.
How many times i've seen people type "I never use that one" kinda makes it sad to still have it like it is, imo.

imnvs

Local Legend
What do you mean? What I'm trying to say is that there's very little incentive to have the tracker profession by level 10 foraging. Because, by that point forageables aren't usually worth enough to purposefully look for them. And yes, it does show you where artifact spots are, but I personally don't think that is worth it. I usually just run into a lot of artifact spots when I'm out gifting or when I go to Robin's to build something or buy some wood.
Well, do you typically scour the entire map, looking for all the available artifact spots? Probably not. You're probably only stopping for the ones you see. Tracker points the ones you don't normally come across out to you, making it easier to complete the museum collection...

....and after I complete it? I switch my profession from Tracker to Botanist.

In my mind, you can't get everything, and the cost to switch professions is paltry in comparison to what the professions allow individually.

Well, do you typically scour the entire map, looking for all the available artifact spots? Probably not. You're probably only stopping for the ones you see. Tracker points the ones you don't normally come across out to you, making it easier to complete the museum collection...

....and after I complete it? I switch my profession from Tracker to Botanist.

In my mind, you can't get everything, and the cost to switch professions is paltry in comparison to what the professions allow individually.
I guess you are right. I just prefer to spend my time on other things, and the tracker profession just isn't very "attractive" to me *BADUM CHA*

Baconfry

Sodbuster
What about making it so that artifact spots have a higher chance of yielding actual artifacts, along with also pointing to spots where items are buried in the mines? That would make it a very useful profession for those who are trying to complete the museum. However, if that were to happen, then guaranteed gold-star forage items might make the profession too OP. If the artifact spot buff was a thing, maybe all forage items could be gold or silver in quality, weighted slightly more toward silver?
This would completely defeat the purpose of trying to buff this profession. Everyone knows that one of the best things about Botanist is how it reduces the inventory space needed to carry forage items. Implementing it this way would make your foraged items take up twice as much space as they would if you had chosen Botanist, which is a slight improvement over taking up 3 times as much space, but for people who actually want better inventory management, the choice between the two professions is still extremely obvious.

There is nothing OP about getting guaranteed gold-quality items. Calling something OP means nothing unless you explain why. Perhaps this is a knee-jerk reaction since I'm proposing a substantial buff? But keep in mind, Tracker is not just slightly worse than Botanist. It is grossly inferior and it absolutely needs to be buffed heavily in order to compete with Botanist and Lumberjack.

And improving artifact spots wouldn't make up for it because artifact spots aren't even the most efficient way to complete the museum. You have to walk long distances to reach the spots, not all artifacts are available from them, and it's a lot faster just to open a bunch of Artifact Troves.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
There is nothing OP about getting guaranteed gold-quality items. Calling something OP means nothing unless you explain why. Perhaps this is a knee-jerk reaction since I'm proposing a substantial buff? But keep in mind, Tracker is not just slightly worse than Botanist. It is grossly inferior and it absolutely needs to be buffed heavily in order to compete with Botanist and Lumberjack.
I think there might've been a misunderstanding. That, or maybe I just worded it really badly? If that's the case, then I apologize for the confusion. I wasn't trying to say that the guaranteed gold-quality forage idea in itself was OP. I was just wondering, in the hypothetical event of the artifact spots also being buffed and a new tracker for buried items in the mines being introduced, if that would potentially make it OP. I wasn't referring to the original quality buff idea. If that was the only buff, it'd definitely be fair.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
In and of itself, let's be honest, getting only iridium forage isn't all that valuable... except for how it saves on inventory space. That is literally the reason I eventually switch to Botanist after completing the Museum Collection. Giving that to Tracker but at gold quality instead? Now all Botanist has going for it is a slightly higher gold value over Tracker. Whoopdy-freaking-doo.

Imho, by trying to make Tracker relevant, you're suggesting we make Botanist obsolete.

Baconfry

Sodbuster
In and of itself, let's be honest, getting only iridium forage isn't all that valuable... except for how it saves on inventory space. That is literally the reason I eventually switch to Botanist after completing the Museum Collection. Giving that to Tracker but at gold quality instead? Now all Botanist has going for it is a slightly higher gold value over Tracker. Whoopdy-freaking-doo.

Imho, by trying to make Tracker relevant, you're suggesting we make Botanist obsolete.
Botanist would be far from obsolete. You would get much higher friendship points from certain forageable gifts (Wild Horseradish for Krobus, flowers for Sandy, Coconuts for Linus/Haley, Purple Mushrooms for Wizard, Leeks for George, and so on). You would gain significantly more profit from Winter Seeds, and also from Truffles if you don't plan to process them all. You would also heal more from eating forageable food items like Salmonberries and Magma Caps.

Personally, I would stick with Botanist even if Tracker was buffed because I value those benefits more highly. If you would prefer having the buffed version of Tracker, that means that we disagree on which profession is better, which therefore means that the buff did exactly what it was intended to do.