*TIPS PLEASE* money making...

sooooo, i was trying to play stardew when i realized i literally only fish. every day. so i was wondering what other things can i do to make money early game to mid game and im all ears for late game tips too! thanks!! im open to anything, literally anything lol

Yvi

Sodbuster
Farming is incredibly lucrative. End game, turning those farmed goods into wine/pickles is even more lucrative, but even just selling fruits and veggies outright is great money!

If farming takes too much babysitting for you, try fruit trees. Each takes a season to grow and only produces fruit in one season, but all it requires is just walking past and picking the fruit.

Barns and coops with animals are a large investment output, but end up making a lot of money fairly quickly once you have them. Making mayo is one of my go-to early game moneymakers.

I mostly mine for fun and materials for crafting, but selling things you get in the mine is a great way to get some cash.

If you're enjoying the fishing theme, fish ponds are a decent money maker depending on which fish you put in them. It's not going to make you a millionaire quickly, but it's a nice steady income with not as much initial cost compared to bigger projects.

Doing errands from the help wanted board is another way to make a bit of money. Even besides the reward money, there's whatever else you collect along the way.

And don't discredit how far fishing can get you! I tend to prefer farming, but lots of people recommend fishing as the ideal early money maker.

Draconifors

Sodbuster
Fishing is great for early game. That's what I did, too, until I started getting animals and various machines to increase farm profits. I still find fishing great, but have so many other things going now (machines everywhere), that I don't do it nearly as much.

Agreed about what Yvi said about quests, too.

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
Fishing's great. If you can, learn the Fisher skill at level 5, you can sell fish at a better price. Max skill most people go Pirate for the added chance to find treasure, but Angler works well for moneymaking (treasure is usually for utility, not sell for profit). Fish smoker is a great addition to the game, if you throw rare/expensive fish in and with higher quality star indication. Fish ponds used to be great moneymakers in 1.5 but i see here they have somewhat reduced productivity (might be wrong, am still inspecting), although people report the endgame item Golden Crackers turn one into a "goldmine".

If you like fishing and aren't far into the game... You should play the riverlands farm or even better, the beach farm, chosen at the beginning of the game.

And don't forget once unlocking cooking, to turn the cheaper crab pot items yielded into cooked dishes and fertilizers. As soon as you can, unlock the iridium rod and you should be fine!

Fishing is incredible and it's made even better with the inclusion of the fish smoker; easy peasy 2x price on any fish and they don't take long to smoke either.
If you have a good ore supply, bars can sell for decent money, especially if you have the proper mining perks.
Turning forageables into seasonal seeds and then selling those seeds earns a nice chunk of change too and I believe 1 of each makes 10 seeds so if you save them up all week you could potentially make quite a few seeds for a nice profit.
Mayo is excellent early game too, and like Yvi said, the help wanted quests are easy ways to get additional money as the villagers usually pay more than the item they request sells for, plus they help with friendship building!

smellincoffee

Sodbuster
once you get 2 hearts w/ caroline, you unlock tea saplings which sell for 250g each in the 1.6 update.
That would explain some memes I've seen. I tend to ignore Caroline. Won't do that anymore!

My advice as someone who has been playing SDV for about a year is to focus on high-profit crops like cauliflower until you get stuff that gives multiple crops per planting -- strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries. Problem with strawberries is that you can only get their seeds from the egg festival or from the seedmaker, so when I do new saves I always try to anticipate the festival and don't spend my money for a while so I can sink at least 1000 gold into seeds.

JuniperSkyy

Sodbuster
That would explain some memes I've seen. I tend to ignore Caroline. Won't do that anymore!

My advice as someone who has been playing SDV for about a year is to focus on high-profit crops like cauliflower until you get stuff that gives multiple crops per planting -- strawberries, blueberries, and cranberries. Problem with strawberries is that you can only get their seeds from the egg festival or from the seedmaker, so when I do new saves I always try to anticipate the festival and don't spend my money for a while so I can sink at least 1000 gold into seeds.
I actually have never bothered to get those unlocked, but I learned about it on the forums lol. I should probably stop ignoring her too

Johndeere756

Planter
As soon as I can ,I get the deluxe barn, and focus on pigs, I do also get 1 cow and 1 goat. By the end of fall, I'm getting truffle oil, and the 2nd year making a lot of gold. By the end of the 2nd year ancient fruit wine is my best money maker.