The 1.5.5 & 1.5.6 updates are now out for Windows/Mac/Linux!

Odin

Staff member
The 1.5.5 update is now available on Steam and GOG! For anyone that plays with mods, you'll also want to update SMAPI to 3.13.

If you didn't see ConcernedApe's 1.5.5 beta thread, this includes a number of bug fixes and quality of life improvements, as well as changes for those that create game mods.

Changelog:
(See https://www.stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-1-5-5-released-on-pc/ for a complete list.)

Quality of Life Changes
  • Holding Control + Shift now lets you purchase or craft stacks of 25 items at a time.
  • Many in-game settings now remember their last value when you start a new save. (Some settings like zoom level, gamepad mode, and multiplayer server privacy aren't copied over.)
  • You can now build or move farm buildings onto artifact spots (which will destroy the artifact spots).
  • You can now nudge pets out of the way while building/moving a building by clicking on them.
  • You can now buy back items accidentally sold in the same shopping session.
  • Added commas to the price display on Robin and the Wizard's building menus.
  • The in-game time is now shown on the upper-right hand corner of the screen when playing Journey of the Prairie King in multiplayer.
  • Grass placed using grass starters during winter no longer disappears when the game is reloaded (but it still won't grow or spread). Grass that's outdoors in winter now takes on the appearance of the grass found in the frost section of the mines.
  • After completing the Cryptic Note quest, reaching floor 100 of the Skull Cavern again will guarantee a chest.
  • Added /printdiag chat command which prints some diagnostic info to the chat window.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed issue where hard mode mines could become permanently enabled and unable to change back.
  • Fixed radioactive bars not affected by the Blacksmith profession.
  • Fixed explosion radius not centered when dislodging flooring and certain other types of items.
  • Fixed garden pots clearing their fertilizers when a crop is harvested.
  • Fixed placing a garden pot on Ginger Island on a rainy day not watering its dirt.
  • Fixed multiplayer hosts registering their lobbies before fully loading a save, causing the games not to appear in the multiplayer games list.
  • Fixed moving a cabin with a cellar causing the stairs to the cellar to warp the players out of bounds for the rest of the play session.
  • Fixed a case where entering the Farm from the south on horseback and triggering an event could cause the player to get stuck in a wall.
  • Fixed various invisible tiles preventing certain spots in the Mountain lake from spawning fish activity bubbles.
  • Fixed the tile holding the plant on Elliott's table not being passable.
  • Fixed some tiles on the left side of the beach farm being unbuildable.
  • Adjusted collisions on the desert map to avoid sorting issue on the top-left edge of raised cliffside.
  • Fixed issue where Sebastian's sprite would shift into an invalid position at 1:00 PM when he's working on his bike on the farm.
  • Fixed Shane's 6-heart event soft-locking in the Hungarian translation.
  • Fixed incorrect '\' characters in various events in the Hungarian localization.
  • Fixed typos in the French localization.
  • Fixed a typo in Livin' Off The Land that incorrectly states that Super Cucumber can be caught in Winter.
If you do experience any issues, please report them in the Help & Bug Reports section. If you're playing with any mods, you can get assistance in the Mod Support section.

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
There's some additional information in ConcernedApe's 1.5.5 blog post:
If, for any reason, you want to play on the “legacy” 32-bit version, it’s still available on Steam (right click Stardew > properties > betas > select “Compatibility” version).

If you are a modder, please check out PathosChild’s 1.5.5 migration guide, which goes into greater depth on some of the changes in this patch.

A 1.5.6 update is also currently underway. We’re working directly with PathosChild (creator of SMAPI, a very popular Stardew modding tool) to add even more modding support to the game, including some long requested “holy grail” changes which should make some aspects of modding much easier in the future. We’ve given PathosChild source code access to help us accomplish this task.
There may be some new content in 1.5.6, too, but it’s not going to be anything huge like 1.5.

Also, mobile 1.5 is still underway, more announcements related to that soon.

-Ape

ascii7

Sodbuster
I have noticed a number of sound effect changes as well. The chickens and cows sound different. Bats now make a screech sound. The mine elevator "ding" sound is different. There may be others, but that's what I noticed right off.

The stuttering video situation on my Mac has also improved a fair amount. The episodes of stutter occur much less frequently, and when they do occur, they seem somewhat less intense. It's definitely more enjoyable to play now.

ascii7

Sodbuster
In addition to the Steam version, I have the GOG version. The GOG version appears to not be updated, or is wrongly labeled as 1.5.4. This is on a Mac.

Lew Zealand

Helper
In addition to the Steam version, I have the GOG version. The GOG version appears to not be updated, or is wrongly labeled as 1.5.4. This is on a Mac.
If you're downloading the standalone game installer directly from GOG's website, it takes a day or two more for updates to show up there. If you want to get that standalone installer quicker, you can install the GOG Galaxy Client and use that to download the standalone installers, I got 1.5.5 yesterday.

Download and install the GOG Galaxy client from GOG's website
It'll take a minute to find your games
Search for Stardew Valley and click it
Click the Extras menu at the top of the SDV page
You should see the option to download the standalone installer (or updater if you want) in there.

*Bonus: For other games that are very large (over 4GB), you can download all those separate install files in one click instead of having to babysit a whole raft of them. This is a super duper convenient help compared to the website download process.

Last edited:

ascii7

Sodbuster
If you're downloading the standalone game installer directly from GOG's website, it takes a day or two more for updates to show up there. If you want to get that standalone installer quicker, you vcan install the GOG Galaxy Client and use that to download the stanbdalone installers, I got 1.5.5 that was yesterday.

Download and install the GOG Galaxy client from GOG's website
It'll take a minute to find your games
Search for Stardew Valley and click it
Click the Extras menu at the top of the SDV page
You should see the option to download the standalone installer (or updater if you want) in there.

*Bonus: For other games that are very large (over 4GB), you can download all those separate install files in one click instead of having to babysit a whole raft of them. This is a super duper convenient help compared to the website download process.
I used Galaxy and its check for updates, and it downloaded an update. The accompanying release notes were for 1.5.5, but the installed game still shows 1.5.4 on the in-game info screen. I also downloaded the stand alone installer, and it was also still 1.5.4

Elenna101

Farmer
I have noticed a number of sound effect changes as well. The chickens and cows sound different. Bats now make a screech sound. The mine elevator "ding" sound is different. There may be others, but that's what I noticed right off.
The sound effect in Junimo Kart when it's checking whether you got the fruit at the end of a stage is also different.

Odin

Staff member
A hotfix update was released today to address some issues with the 1.5.5 update:

Bug fixes
  • Fixed an issue where widescreen and UHD displays would cause the screen to display incorrectly.
  • Fixed a crash in the French localization for “It Howls In The Rain.”
  • GOG: Fixed an issue where builds were not being optimized for release, causing incompatibilities with mods.
  • (64-bit) Potential fix for some gamepad issues on Mac.

Tom

Rancher
The video problems I reported in the beta thread have not been fully resolved. When I drag the game window to full screen on screen 2, it still reverts back to screen 1 when I open Menu or Journal.

Elenna101

Farmer
The video problems I reported in the beta thread have not been fully resolved. When I drag the game window to full screen on screen 2, it still reverts back to screen 1 when I open Menu or Journal.
I'm also still having the issue I mentioned in the beta thread where the game (in windowed mode) opens to a size that isn't quite the size of my full screen, and when I manually make it full-screen it reverts when I open menu or journal.

Reactions: Tom

Quirinea

Farmer
Maybe I',an idiot but SMAPI gives me that: Oops! You must have .NET 5 installed to use SMAPI: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download
...and when I go to that page, there is no actual download link. I'm going round and round, following links, but none of them have anything to download or install. "Insructions", "get strated" all of them go to lists and blaablaablaa, but no download link.
Edit: I found instructions, but then I obviously got .NET 6.
Result:
It was not possible to find any compatible framework version
The framework 'Microsoft.NETCore.App', version '5.0.0' (x64) was not found.
- The following frameworks were found:
6.0.0 at [/snap/dotnet-sdk/150/shared/Microsoft.NETCore.App]

You can resolve the problem by installing the specified framework and/or SDK.

The specified framework can be found at:
- https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunc...k_version=5.0.0&arch=x64&rid=ubuntu.18.04-x64

Which goes back to the same snake chasing its tail (page A -> page B -> page C -> ... page A)

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Okay, yelling helped and I chanced upon usable instructions, where I could specify the version...
I genuinely hate these "MS-packages" that are deliberately made as messy as possible. (I call them MS-bullyware)

Odin

Staff member
1.5.6 has now been released on Steam and GOG, it's a smaller update so I'm just listing the changelog here in this thread:

Changelog:
  • On multi-monitor setups, the game now remembers and restores on the last used monitor.
  • Potential fix for a random crash that could occur at the end of the night.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented the various farm types’ wallpapers and floorings from applying when starting a new game.
  • Fixed a bug where pressing ESC to dismiss the level up screen would dismiss the menu without applying the level up, causing it to reappear every night.
  • Hoed dirt no longer decays under forage items on the farm. This ensures that dirt under freshly grown seasonal forage seeds can no longer disappear randomly.
  • Grass placed indoors no longer dies when seasons change to Winter.
  • Fixed being unable to harvest Tea Saplings placed on Garden Pots on Ginger Island.
  • Fixed an issue where the Z key would be unbindable after resetting controls to the default.
  • Fixed map screenshots not functioning on Linux.
  • Updated Steamworks.NET to 20.0.0.

Tukis J

Sodbuster
The 1.5.5 update is now available on Steam and GOG! For anyone that plays with mods, you'll also want to update SMAPI to 3.13.

If you didn't see ConcernedApe's 1.5.5 beta thread, this includes a number of bug fixes and quality of life improvements, as well as changes for those that create game mods.

Changelog:
(See https://www.stardewvalley.net/stardew-valley-1-5-5-released-on-pc/ for a complete list.)

Quality of Life Changes
  • Holding Control + Shift now lets you purchase or craft stacks of 25 items at a time.
  • Many in-game settings now remember their last value when you start a new save. (Some settings like zoom level, gamepad mode, and multiplayer server privacy aren't copied over.)
  • You can now build or move farm buildings onto artifact spots (which will destroy the artifact spots).
  • You can now nudge pets out of the way while building/moving a building by clicking on them.
  • You can now buy back items accidentally sold in the same shopping session.
  • Added commas to the price display on Robin and the Wizard's building menus.
  • The in-game time is now shown on the upper-right hand corner of the screen when playing Journey of the Prairie King in multiplayer.
  • Grass placed using grass starters during winter no longer disappears when the game is reloaded (but it still won't grow or spread). Grass that's outdoors in winter now takes on the appearance of the grass found in the frost section of the mines.
  • After completing the Cryptic Note quest, reaching floor 100 of the Skull Cavern again will guarantee a chest.
  • Added /printdiag chat command which prints some diagnostic info to the chat window.
Bug fixes
  • Fixed issue where hard mode mines could become permanently enabled and unable to change back.
  • Fixed radioactive bars not affected by the Blacksmith profession.
  • Fixed explosion radius not centered when dislodging flooring and certain other types of items.
  • Fixed garden pots clearing their fertilizers when a crop is harvested.
  • Fixed placing a garden pot on Ginger Island on a rainy day not watering its dirt.
  • Fixed multiplayer hosts registering their lobbies before fully loading a save, causing the games not to appear in the multiplayer games list.
  • Fixed moving a cabin with a cellar causing the stairs to the cellar to warp the players out of bounds for the rest of the play session.
  • Fixed a case where entering the Farm from the south on horseback and triggering an event could cause the player to get stuck in a wall.
  • Fixed various invisible tiles preventing certain spots in the Mountain lake from spawning fish activity bubbles.
  • Fixed the tile holding the plant on Elliott's table not being passable.
  • Fixed some tiles on the left side of the beach farm being unbuildable.
  • Adjusted collisions on the desert map to avoid sorting issue on the top-left edge of raised cliffside.
  • Fixed issue where Sebastian's sprite would shift into an invalid position at 1:00 PM when he's working on his bike on the farm.
  • Fixed Shane's 6-heart event soft-locking in the Hungarian translation.
  • Fixed incorrect '\' characters in various events in the Hungarian localization.
  • Fixed typos in the French localization.
  • Fixed a typo in Livin' Off The Land that incorrectly states that Super Cucumber can be caught in Winter.
If you do experience any issues, please report them in the Help & Bug Reports section. If you're playing with any mods, you can get assistance in the Mod Support section.
what about the garden pots? can i place crops without removing the fertilizer if it is harvested?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
A hotfix for 1.5.6 came out today at 1pm, 12/22!

Changelog:

- Fixed a crash when starting the game in Compatibility mode on MacOS.
- Fixed being unable to move the game window from one desktop to another in certain monitor configurations.
- Fixed an issue that prevented selecting a profession using a gamepad. You should be able to re-select any missed professions the next day.
- Fixed garden pots automatically harvesting when moused over.
- Fixed Emily's patio decorations being one tile above where they should be.

imnvs

Local Legend
So... there was a mention of possible additional content in 1.5.6, but I don't see anything about that in the changelog. Are there plans for additional content, or was that just a speculative thing?