Steam Workshop

Xytronix

Greenhorn
Hey,

I would like to suggest to add the Steam Workshop to make it easier and reliable for people who want to add some new content to the game.

It would be more secure and faster then going over external platforms like Nexusmods, Github and Moddrop.

SMAPI could get published as a DLC for example.

Would like to hear your opinions about this.

Greetings
Xytronix

Dragonheardt

Planter
My first thoughts are:
1. Sure, why not? (if it doesn't really adversely affect anyone or anything). Though I don't know what goes into adding that kind of support on Steam or what has to happen/be agreed to/by whom, cost, time, etc. Really no idea how that works or how it affects developers or anything.

2. Furthermore...I'm not sure if Steam Workshop is easier or more reliable as I've not often used it. I have definitely used it to mod games -- but Nexusmods, for me, was always easier to use and keep track of than Steam Workshop stuff because of UI, keeping track of updates, being a more reliable source of up-to-date mods, etc. Maybe others have a different experience. Another thing is Stardew is #7 on Nexusmods' top games list as well, and has a lot of support. It seems to be the primary source of Stardew mods, whereas Github and Moddrop seem secondary/tertiary. Adding Steam Workshop may just spread out mods to more places, but modders might still keep their mods on Nexus exclusively and not allow their mods to be posted in other places. Or perhaps they would only reliably update mods on Nexus; I've seen mods that are way outdated on some sites and only kept up to date in one location. It also depends on how user friendly mod publishing is for modders on Steam Workshop vs Nexus and whether they can link 'buy me a coffee' or Patreon accounts on Steam's platform. I'm not quite sure. My brain just exploded with 'what ifs?' my apologies lol.

All in all, it may be a complicated thing. Or maybe I'm just a pessimist lol. But my general conclusion is my first point: Sure, why not?

I would like to suggest to add the Steam Workshop to make it easier and reliable for people who want to add some new content to the game.

It would be more secure and faster then going over external platforms like Nexusmods, Github and Moddrop.

SMAPI could get published as a DLC for example.
I would like to see an integrated Mod-Api and suggested this already: https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/integrated-addon-system.8508/
There are a lot of nice mods out there. So having some easier (and maybe optionally) integrated would be cool!

But I would like to see a mod-addition which also worked at gog.com where I bought the game. So please nothing Steam-specific as mod-addition!