Mac Steam Version Help (Overlay, Controller, etc)

Divydation

Newcomer
Hi, I've made an account to ask for help directly because I have spent HOURS trying to get this to work. So, sorry if this is the wrong spot for it. I'm just so at a loss with what to do.

I have a 2022 M2 Macbook Pro. I just want to play Stardew with my Xbox One controller via bluetooth. I'm not using any mods at all.

The controller is recognised by Steam; I can use it to navigate the Big Picture Mode menus, and tested the inputs in Steam. However, when I launch Stardew, it's like the controller doesn't exist.
I've tried all the different Steam controller options input enabling and disabling, I've tried forcing gamepad mode in the game, I've restarted many times, I've checked the files are valid. I've even tried to replace the SDL2 file that some people from 2021 claimed to fix the issue. Nothing works. It's like the controller doesn't exist. Even though the Stardew page specifically says it is 'Controller Supported'.

The other issue is that my Steam overlay won't work in Stardew, even though it will in other games. And yes, I have enabled it in Stardew preferences. I suspect that the two issues are related.

So, currently I just don't want to play the game unless I can get the controller working. I've played it on my PC before, I want this different vibe.
If anyone has any help PLEASE let me know. This is so frustrating and should just work without any wasted hours.