Windows Stardew valley not starting

jinc

Newcomer
Stardew valley doesn't even pop up. It runs for a little and then just switches back to "play." I have a 64 bit system, updated my drivers, downloaded the microsoft xna redistributable 4.0, deleted startup preferences, uninstalled and reinstalled Stardew Valley, got the most recent microsoft net framework, and changed stardew valley to only open on my dedicated graphics card. I have been trying to solve my issue for an extremely long time and all solutions I see do not work. Compatibility mode works, but I want to play with mods. It is worth noting that I have a Radeon RX 5500 XT, and the Stardew Valley error log keeps saying that it doesn't recognize a gpu.

I attached a picture of my error log.

Attachments

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
Stardew valley doesn't even pop up. It runs for a little and then just switches back to "play." I have a 64 bit system, updated my drivers, downloaded the microsoft xna redistributable 4.0, deleted startup preferences, uninstalled and reinstalled Stardew Valley, got the most recent microsoft net framework, and changed stardew valley to only open on my dedicated graphics card. I have been trying to solve my issue for an extremely long time and all solutions I see do not work. Compatibility mode works, but I want to play with mods. It is worth noting that I have a Radeon RX 5500 XT, and the Stardew Valley error log keeps saying that it doesn't recognize a gpu.

Could you copy and paste the error here? The text is too small to see.

Lew Zealand

Helper

Please open your Radeon Graphics App/Control Panel and let us know what version of those drivers are installed on your machine. I use an RX 5600 XT in SDV on occasion, same generation and right next to yours in the model lineup, so your card should work just fine with SDV.

We may eventually try to remove your Graphics drivers completely with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and then have you reinstall them, but we'll see if it comes to that. DDU can fix problems like this.

jinc

Newcomer
Could you copy and paste the error here? The text is too small to see.
of course

InnerException: System.PlatformNotSupportedException: MonoGame requires either ARB_framebuffer_object or EXT_framebuffer_object.Try updating your graphics drivers.
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.FramebufferHelper.Create(GraphicsDevice gd) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.FramebufferHelper.cs:line 32
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.PlatformInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Platform\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.OpenGL.cs:line 340
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.GraphicsDevice.Initialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Graphics\GraphicsDevice.cs:line 357
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice(GraphicsDeviceInformation gdi) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 144
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 115
Stack Trace: at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GraphicsDeviceManager.CreateDevice() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\GraphicsDeviceManager.cs:line 123
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DoInitialize() in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 838
at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Run(GameRunBehavior runBehavior) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\MonoGame.Desktop\MonoGame.Framework\Game.cs:line 465
at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:line 175

Game Version: 1.5.6 Hotfix #3
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: Could not detect.

jinc

Newcomer
Please open your Radeon Graphics App/Control Panel and let us know what version of those drivers are installed on your machine. I use an RX 5600 XT in SDV on occasion, same generation and right next to yours in the model lineup, so your card should work just fine with SDV.

We may eventually try to remove your Graphics drivers completely with Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU) and then have you reinstall them, but we'll see if it comes to that. DDU can fix problems like this.
my drivers are on version 22.10.3

UlyanaLeyana

Planter
unfortunately it didn't work
I was looking for a solution to this problem. Everywhere one result "This is a driver error."
Try to reinstall DirectX and then scan the system.
  1. Click Start
  2. In the search bar, type CMD
  3. Right-click CMD.exe and select Run as Administrator
  4. On the User Account Control (UAC) prompt, click Yes
  5. In the command prompt window, type SFC /scannow and press Enter
    Code:
    SFC /scannow
  6. System file checker utility checks the integrity of Windows system files and repairs them if required
  7. After the scan is completed restart PC

Lew Zealand

Helper
OK a randomish question. Because it's just not recognizing your graphics card, what CPU do you have?

If you have a CPU with built-in integrated graphics, and those have not been turned off in your PC's BIOS, SDV might be getting confused, looking to display on that intergrated GPU in your CPU but which you're not using, instead of your add-in RX 5500 XT.

Just adding in a graphics card usually reroutes everything automatically to that new card, but SDV could be getting confused? I have one PC like this and SDV works OK, but your components are different from mine and may need this BIOS switch to be made.