Stardew Valley Cookbook

Any other food-enthusiasts in these here forums excited as HECK about the SDV cookbook that's due in May?!

I love cooking and have recently gotten back into a healthier groove as it pertains to eating habits, so I'll definitely be requesting this bad boy for a birthday gift later this year as all meals are either vegetarian or pescatarian and will surely spice up the usual cooking schedule! It's said to contain all the recipes in the game--including the Strange Bun, Squid Ink Ravioli, and Seafoam Pudding--with minor adjustments to ensure that they're actually cook-able in real life.

Which Stardew meal are you most excited to try? I'm hyped about mango sticky rice and all the soups!

Excited for the Lucky Lunch? You can try it out at the SDV cookbook official website! https://stardewvalleycookbook.com/

Ereo

Helper
Does it say anywhere that the recipes are vegetarian? Because even though you don’t have meat in game, the festival dialogue strongly implies the survival burger is not vegetarian…

I'm looking forward to the cookbook! I can't eat meat or cow milk, so between that and my love of the game, it sounds right up my alley. I want to try the survival burger, tropical curry, and cranberry candy for starters. I'm also curious about the strange bun. Just how will that translate to real food? ^_^

I got the Recipes from the World of Tolkien cookbook for my birthday in December and have really enjoyed the way foods from his books have been translated into the real world. I'm looking forward to seeing the Stardew version of that.

I'm also curious about the strange bun. Just how will that translate to real food? ^_^

I got the Recipes from the World of Tolkien cookbook for my birthday in December and have really enjoyed the way foods from his books have been translated into the real world. I'm looking forward to seeing the Stardew version of that.
I, too, am curious about the strange bun and between you and me, slightly scared Cranberry candy sounds heavenly though!
Ooh, my mom would love a Tolkein cookbook, I'll have to look into that! The only other formal cookbook I own is the Gilmore Girls cookbook (also a birthday gift) so I'm pretty jazzed about getting it a friend. :proud:

I, too, am curious about the strange bun and between you and me, slightly scared Cranberry candy sounds heavenly though!
Ooh, my mom would love a Tolkein cookbook, I'll have to look into that! The only other formal cookbook I own is the Gilmore Girls cookbook (also a birthday gift) so I'm pretty jazzed about getting it a friend. :proud:
I'm thinking it's something like mayo made with black salt to give it a bit of a sulfur scent and stronger eggy taste (for the void mayo), combined with some kind of seafood (for the periwinkle) and stuffed in a cone shaped bun like the ones they sometimes serve chili in at fairs? Of course, it's also lavender for some reason in the game, so who knows?

I've only tried some of the breakfast and second breakfast recipies from the Tolkien cookbook so far but they've all been solid. Just be warned that several seem to be thinking of Hobbit appetites when they list the number of servings!

I'm thinking it's something like mayo made with black salt to give it a bit of a sulfur scent and stronger eggy taste (for the void mayo), combined with some kind of seafood (for the periwinkle) and stuffed in a cone shaped bun like the ones they sometimes serve chili in at fairs? Of course, it's also lavender for some reason in the game, so who knows?

I've only tried some of the breakfast and second breakfast recipies from the Tolkien cookbook so far but they've all been solid. Just be warned that several seem to be thinking of Hobbit appetites when they list the number of servings!
It'll be so interesting to see how the strange bun translates to real-world ingredients, ngl, the idea of mayonnaise in a pastry gives me the ick for whatever reason. Perhaps it'll be similar to a crab rangoon? Crab rangoons are delish so I hope I'm on to something there--only time will tell! Black salt is something I've never played around with, but I'm always willing to add seasonings to my cupboard of culinary chaos!

You just sold me on the Hobbit cookbook! I don't think my mom would mind Hobbit-sized servings, especially since I have two teenage brothers at home! :laugh:

It'll be so interesting to see how the strange bun translates to real-world ingredients, ngl, the idea of mayonnaise in a pastry gives me the ick for whatever reason. Perhaps it'll be similar to a crab rangoon? Crab rangoons are delish so I hope I'm on to something there--only time will tell! Black salt is something I've never played around with, but I'm always willing to add seasonings to my cupboard of culinary chaos!

You just sold me on the Hobbit cookbook! I don't think my mom would mind Hobbit-sized servings, especially since I have two teenage brothers at home! :laugh:
I was thinking 'bun' was more along the line of bread rolls/croissants than pastries. A crab rangoon situation could definitely work, I think. It will likely live up the name, in any case! I've used black salt with silken tofu to recreate egg texture and flavor but haven't done much else with it.

There are many similarities between Hobbits and teenagers! The artwork in the Tolkien cookbook is lovely, too. I hope the Stardew Valley one gets a similar treatment.

Attachments

I was thinking 'bun' was more along the line of bread rolls/croissants than pastries. A crab rangoon situation could definitely work, I think. It will likely live up the name, in any case! I've used black salt with silken tofu to recreate egg texture and flavor but haven't done much else with it.

There are many similarities between Hobbits and teenagers! The artwork in the Tolkien cookbook is lovely, too. I hope the Stardew Valley one gets a similar treatment.
That's a very fair point for the bun! Maybe the mayo isn't as much of an ick as I was initially thinking. Gah, I'm so antsy to see what they do with it!
That cookbook looks beautiful! I'm sure Tolkien would be pleased with it if he were here to see it. I also hope the Starydew Valley cookbook is just as lovely and I'm almost positive it will be given CA's dedication to make the game as pleasurable as it is. Thanks for bringing the Tolkien cookbook to my attention! Shopping for it as I type this!! :proud:

Just bought the SDV cookbook! I'm excited for it too, not sure how I'm going to wait until when it's released though :cry:

Not sure if you knew that if you preorder it you get the Pink Cake recipe - with illustrations and a beautiful photo. It's a BIG recipe, lots of ingredients, but I'm going to make it anyway because well, it's THE pink cake!!!

Just bought the SDV cookbook! I'm excited for it too, not sure how I'm going to wait until when it's released though :cry:

Not sure if you knew that if you preorder it you get the Pink Cake recipe - with illustrations and a beautiful photo. It's a BIG recipe, lots of ingredients, but I'm going to make it anyway because well, it's THE pink cake!!!
That's so exciting you ordered it!! I've chosen to request it for a birthday present later this year as I usually just buy everything I want when I want it and have nothing in mind when I'm asked what I want--not this year! :laugh: But that's great to hear that the illustrations and photos are up to par, and it's nice they clearly took tons of time reality-ifying each recipe even if the end result is a daunting list of ingredients. You should totally share your feedback when you bake it! Such an exciting year for the SDV community!!