Question Sprite sheets: size, and how to edit/make?

junimobrat

Cowpoke
Hello again! :happy:

I'm planning on making a mod that adds new crops, flowers, and weapons to the game. Its through an event that my farmer would acquire them.

My question is, how do you guys make a sprite sheet? Of crops, flowers, and weapons? What's the size of each, and how to put them into one .png file?

mouse

Farmer
New crops and weapons would be added via JSON Assets (the linked docs list the requirements for each category), so you would be able to have a png consisting of the individual items without trying to edit them into the original. Ideally you would be able to unpack the game files to have a basic understanding of how they work, be able to open and edit json files (any plain text editor), and edit and export pngs without resizing them.

There are a lot of mods out there that add new items that you can use as examples :) (Such as Fruits and Veggies -- the JA folder is the one that actually adds the new items.)

junimobrat

Cowpoke
There are a lot of mods out there that add new items that you can use as examples :) (Such as Fruits and Veggies -- the JA folder is the one that actually adds the new items.)
Hello again. I'd like to ask another question, and I don't want to post another thread since this is still the freshest one here. :laugh:

I was wondering if you know the use of the path tiles 1-7? I am currently editing the town map, and am planning to make a custom map for my custom NPCs. So I was wondering if they're important and must include in the Paths layer of the map?

I think they're for NPCs? And if so, what's the red circle tile for? And the arrows? There're no explanations about the path tiles 1-7 on the wiki page. Are they new?

mouse

Farmer
Not new, but old and unused :) You don't need them.

Even if you like the visual, there's no actual synchronization -- you'd need to make sure to edit the map when you edited the schedule to keep it looking right, and any edits by you or any other modder to the map (e.g. making a stone path, or adding a new building or warp exit) can change the route they ended up taking through the area.

junimobrat

Cowpoke
Not new, but old and unused :) You don't need them.
Hello sir, may I ask for your assistance again? :)

So, I was editing the Backwoods.tmx of SDV 1.5, because I don't have the copy for SDV 1.4.5, and this happened.

I edited it, and made sure that I erased the one spawning bushes on the map. But when I walked on the Backwoods in-game, the bush was there. xD

I was playing on the android version, btw. SDV 1.4.5 :happy:
Screenshot_20210505-215542.jpg
Screenshot_20210505-215245_NotTiled.jpg

What I used to load the map is TMX loader, I replaced the whole backwoods map. I'm going to try this on content patcher and see if it'll work.

Last edited:

mouse

Farmer
The tiles on the paths layer are more like spawn markers that tell the game to create the various objects at that location when you start a new farm. Editing the markers after they've already spawned won't affect their location -- this is why you get stuff like floating trees, misplaced bushes, etc when you change map layouts mid-save.

The easiest way around it is to just test on new saves (and use debugging tools to help get you to where you need to be!), and for really being sure how your map will look on a new game, it's probably best. There was a good mod for resetting all the things, but it's closed source and broke in 1.5. Entoarox Framework adds a world_reset bushes console command, though, which will (as you probably guessed :P) reset the bushes specifically.

junimobrat

Cowpoke
The tiles on the paths layer are more like spawn markers that tell the game to create the various objects at that location when you start a new farm. Editing the markers after they've already spawned won't affect their location -- this is why you get stuff like floating trees, misplaced bushes, etc when you change map layouts mid-save.
Ah, I get it now. So it because it was not a new save, that's why the bush kept on returning. I thought I was doing something wrong with editing the map.

I'll try this again, sir! I think its fine for me to use the Enteroax Framework since I'm playing the lower version of the game. Thank you again! :proud: