[Spoilers] Ginger island area - what's best to do

joaolucasd

Newcomer
Hello!

I'm planning a new farm and thinking about the layout, on ginger island and I have some questions about it, that I couldn't find any answer.

First of all, since it's a perennial place to farm, whats the best crop for it? Strawberries? Ancient fruit? Since the main farm has limited space, I'm thinking about growing crops that I can sell as it comes, without any craft. Am I thinking right?

Another thing is about Junimo huts, can I place one on ginger island farm?

Does anyone can suggest a nice looking layout? I'm having difficulty finding one on google search.

Zamiel

Sodbuster
whats the best crop for it?

Another thing is about Junimo huts, can I place one on ginger island farm?
No.

Cptldsilver

Planter
Starfruit for maximum profit, ancient fruit for almost as good profit with no need to buy and replant seeds. Pineapple, taro tubers, bananas, and mangos for aesthetic.

Cptldsilver

Planter
Also a cool little trick is that you can craft deluxe retaining soil with garden pots, plant a regrowing crop (pineapple is best since ancient fruit dont work) and gather the crop whenever it's ready with no other upkeep. I've been growing a few dozen pineapple plants in my ginger island house.

Elenna101

Farmer
Starfruit for maximum profit, ancient fruit for almost as good profit with no need to buy and replant seeds. Pineapple, taro tubers, bananas, and mangos for aesthetic.
Given the cost of starfruit seeds, I'd say ancient fruit is better overall profit.

In one month, you get three starfruit harvests, or 3 x 2,250 = 6,750g assuming you keg them all, minus the cost of 3 starfruit seeds, 3 x 400 = 1,200g, so total profit of 5,550g.
Or with ancient fruit, in one month you get four harvests, 4 x 1,650g = 6,600g. The cost of ancient fruit seeds is basically zero, although it takes time to get enough of them
(especially since they'll stay there forever, so even if there was an initial cost, it will still average out to zero over time).

Starfruit does work out better if you use casks to increase the quality of the wine, but the amount of starfruit you can plant on the island is way more than the amount you can cask, since casks only work in the basement. Otherwise, ancient fruit is both better and easier.

Cptldsilver

Planter
Given the cost of starfruit seeds, I'd say ancient fruit is better overall profit.

In one month, you get three starfruit harvests, or 3 x 2,250 = 6,750g assuming you keg them all, minus the cost of 3 starfruit seeds, 3 x 400 = 1,200g, so total profit of 5,550g.
Or with ancient fruit, in one month you get four harvests, 4 x 1,650g = 6,600g. The cost of ancient fruit seeds is basically zero, although it takes time to get enough of them
(especially since they'll stay there forever, so even if there was an initial cost, it will still average out to zero over time).

Starfruit does work out better if you use casks to increase the quality of the wine, but the amount of starfruit you can plant on the island is way more than the amount you can cask, since casks only work in the basement. Otherwise, ancient fruit is both better and easier.
You're not using the right numbers to compare. To get optimal profit you need to run the agriculturalist perk while growing the starfruit, then switch to artisan when selling the wine. Starfruit grown with the full 35% speed boost takes 8 days to mature. After kegging and subtracting the cost of seeds you get 2750 profit per starfruit. 2750/8=343.75 gold per tile per day. Ancient fruit, after maturing, grows every 7 days and after kegging sells for 2310. 2310/7= 330 gold per title per day.

Like I said its slightly better. But it is a bit of a hassle to buy starfruit seeds and replant every 8 days.

bioweapon

Farmhand
Also a cool little trick is that you can craft deluxe retaining soil with garden pots, plant a regrowing crop (pineapple is best since ancient fruit dont work) and gather the crop whenever it's ready with no other upkeep. I've been growing a few dozen pineapple plants in my ginger island house.
I grow Ancient Fruit and do this on greenhouse + island farm. No need for sprinklers anymore. Can practically grow Ancient Fruit on every farmable tile on the island farm without the need for watering. The same can't be said for Starfruits though.

imnvs

Local Legend
You're not using the right numbers to compare. To get optimal profit you need to run the agriculturalist perk while growing the starfruit, then switch to artisan when selling the wine. Starfruit grown with the full 35% speed boost takes 8 days to mature. After kegging and subtracting the cost of seeds you get 2750 profit per starfruit. 2750/8=343.75 gold per tile per day. Ancient fruit, after maturing, grows every 7 days and after kegging sells for 2310. 2310/7= 330 gold per title per day.

Like I said its slightly better. But it is a bit of a hassle to buy starfruit seeds and replant every 8 days.
You're not adding in the cost to switch professions every time you want to sell into your calculations.

Akemisora

Planter
Will this still be working after season change? If so, so cool!

Drullo321

Sodbuster
With that small difference (330 - 345) you also should consider the costs of spending time to replant them each eight days. I once went all in and planted nearly the whole standard farm with pumpkins and it took 1 1/2 days harvesting/replanting (without Junimo Huts Y1). Considering it is stressfull and a average run in the Skull Cavern nets 60k+ money, i would say, try to favor ancient fruits over star fruits on every greenhouse or Ginger Island farm at least.

Cptldsilver

Planter
You're not adding in the cost to switch professions every time you want to sell into your calculations.
That's a fixed one time cost so you could hold off as long as you like before selling to minimize it. I dont know the exact number of farmable island+greenhouse tiles but I think its around 900? So if its 900, you would make 11,700 more every day with starfruit. It only takes 10k to switch perks and another 10k to switch back.

Cptldsilver

Planter
With that small difference (330 - 345) you also should consider the costs of spending time to replant them each eight days. I once went all in and planted nearly the whole standard farm with pumpkins and it took 1 1/2 days harvesting/replanting (without Junimo Huts Y1). Considering it is stressfull and a average run in the Skull Cavern nets 60k+ money, i would say, try to favor ancient fruits over star fruits on every greenhouse or Ginger Island farm at least.
You're right it does take extra time to replant but not nearly as much as you think. Next time your harvesting and replanting try doing it at the same time. Hold the seeds and walk over the grown crops while holding down the right click button with your cursor AWAY from you. The farmer will harvest the crop and replant all in one action. Using this method I was able to harvest and replant an entire field, 3420ish starfruit, and replant every crop in 16 in game hours.

Elenna101

Farmer

Oh, right, I hadn't considered agriculturalist (probably because I'm too lazy to do that strat most of the time lol). You're right, in that case it is slightly better if you're willing to go to the hassle.

Keep in mind you loose money every time you swap from agriculturalist to artisan, and if you don't swap back to artisan, you lose 40% of the cash.

But there's actually something that is more profitable than either Starfruit OR Ancient Fruit.

Hops

Once fully grown, Hops produces DAILY and brewed into Pale Ale for 420g/day. Granted, it also means daily harvesting, which is problematic, and you won't be able to cover your entire planting area because Hops are a Trellis crop so you can't walk through them, so you'll still need to plant filler. But if all you are looking at are raw numbers, Hops beats them both out.

Cptldsilver

Planter
Keep in mind you loose money every time you swap from agriculturalist to artisan, and if you don't swap back to artisan, you lose 40% of the cash.

But there's actually something that is more profitable than either Starfruit OR Ancient Fruit.

Hops

Once fully grown, Hops produces DAILY and brewed into Pale Ale for 420g/day. Granted, it also means daily harvesting, which is problematic, and you won't be able to cover your entire planting area because Hops are a Trellis crop so you can't walk through them, so you'll still need to plant filler. But if all you are looking at are raw numbers, Hops beats them both out.
Good point it does have the highest yield per day. But like you said it has some big drawbacks. If you had a bunch of free time and you wanted the best crop its definitely the best. But if you have something else valuable to do then hops aren't that great.

Odin

Staff member
Hi! I edited your thread title to be a bit more vague and added a spoiler tag. Please remember to avoid spoilers in thread titles!