Spoilering Content

My main question pertaining to the forum: I have a question regarding marking content as a spoiler, the forum rules say to do this though other than late-game content and large images, it doesn't specify what else needs to be spoilered. What should users go by (edit: here in the forum) in order to determine what else to spoiler?

I had thought that items available in 1.5 probably also needed to be spoilered (for which case I used to use the wiki to check, but I spoilered the last of these missed only to see them reversed). A side question: Is the mobile update for 1.5 soon to drop? Can you neither confirm nor deny that? 😉 (Understandable if you cannot lol... it was just an exciting proposition regardless).

If it is just the wiki no longer using spoilers for the last dozen or so spoiler pages, I wont rely on it and will use a local copy I made instead. It is a pain to think you can obtain something in the game from discussion here or reading there and then to find out after grinding a while that you actually can't lol. But, maybe that won't be the case for much longer anyhow, which would be awesome!

Thanks for clarifying.

Last edited:

mouse

Farmer
Just to clarify, are you asking about the spoiler policy on the forums, or on the wiki? CA hosts/maintains the wiki, but it's a community-run project, so there's not necessarily much overlap between wiki/forums admins.

Thanks for asking, I'm enquring about the forum in the forum feedback section (ignoring the wiki, given it is not following its own guide page and as you say, it is a separate thing). I mentioned the forum rules don't specify what else to spoiler, the sentence following that was related to that statement, asking about what users should go by (here in the forum). My period below should probably have been a comma or ellipses, but, cog fog and neuro issues make writing difficult, sorry.
...the forum rules say to do this (spoiler) though other than late-game content and large images, it doesn't specify what else needs to be spoilered. What should users go by (edit: here on the forum) in order to determine what else to spoiler?
I ask because it is genuinely hard to tell without some explicit examples. I see people discussing 1.5 stuff without spoiler markings, so maybe that's not a spoiler item as I had previously thought. Without some clarity around this rule, it makes it harder to abide by it, but that is easily remedied. 🙂

Are the Secret Woods a spoiler (though anyone can access early, as soon as tools are upgraded)? Are random events spoilers? 1.5 content? Also, at what point is something considered late-game? It will be much easier to spoiler things (here on the forum) armed with a bit of info. Thanks! 😁

I'm guessing the PC versions may remain ahead a version or become again in the future given it is probably easiest to develop for and I'd guess that issues probably need to be ironed out well for mobile prior to porting.

Last edited:

Worblehat

Planter
Regarding the question of what is a spoiler, the General Discussion Guidelines says
We consider spoilers post-Community Center content (such as end-game quests) and details of heart events. For example, your title can be "Wow, just saw Penny's 14-heart event..." or "Finally got the last prismatic shard I needed!" but it shouldn't be a title that goes into detail of the event, or why you need the item.
The guidelines are also clear that spoilers only apply to thread titles. It would be unworkably cumbersome if threads discussing Ginger Island etc. had to consist entirely of spoiler tags.

Speaking for myself, I use spoilers within posts only for genuine easter eggs (putting hats on non-obvious things, or alternate uses for Lewis's shorts, etc.) or for things some people might consider exploits (using Stardew Predictor or Checkup, or noting the offset between opening a geode with Clint or with the Geode Crusher, for example).

Ah, thank you. I forgot about that because was I re-reading the main forum rules located here where there is no mention of post-community center content in its spoiler info paragraph (the information is disjointed). I'll have to remember to go to both places from now on for whatever sub forum I'm in. Yes, I see them inside posts a lot also, often when the item discussed is related but not directly on-topic but still a spoiler. The post-community center would rule out random events, and secret woods... it is a bit hard to determine on first couple of play thoughts or via the wiki without going through and categorizing, I will do that on my own copy. Though this doesn't answer the part I asked about 1.5 content which does kind of spoiler things for mobile users, though perhaps the forum doesn't see it as such. Given that it is not listed, I'd assume this is where it deviates from the wiki.

Interesting to use it for checkup and predictor, I see those linked a lot and never occurred to me since they are off-site materials, but they do also contain spoilers, so that seems wise. I too would prefer to spoiler in posts where the topic meanders to other content, since some folks seem sensitive to this. 🙂

Last edited:

Worblehat

Planter
I try to put checkup and predictor behind spoiler tags not so much for spoiler content but because people have different ideas of how to play the game. Some people really dislike the idea of using tools like that.

If you're asking to have the forum rules expand to require that 1.5 content be spoilered even within posts, that's a hard "no". As I said, it would be way too cumbersome - we'd have post after post consisting of nothing but a spoiler tag to be expanded or de-blurred (depending on which type of tag the poster used). Thread titles addressing 1.5 content should be phrased to avoid spoilers, and I think we generally do observe that rule. Looking at the first two pages of General Discussion threads, a mobile user would learn that there's a mermaid on Ginger Island (though not what she does, why the player cares, etc.), that there's a colored crystal puzzle, and an item called the statue of true perfection. The latter title should probably have been phrased in a more spoiler-sensitive way, but the other two seem OK. Maybe "Colored crystal puzzle" should have been "Puzzle (spoiler)" instead? 🤷‍♂️

No, I never asked for that, I asked if it was included or not. Then decided that since it is not mentioned, that probably means not. Seemed clear to me but my communication skills are not fully intact, so probably not clear to you, so I'll ask you to please read with a forgiving eye (I have edited to clarify, again). I was hoping for confirmation/clarification from forum staff, which is why I posted in forum feedback.

I can't be the only one who has wondered this after seeing that most 1.5 content is spoilered on the wiki, which I naturally viewed as a sister site (incorrectly, clearly) though it is hosted by the game maker (I didn't know it is run by a different group unless I asked). Now I have, and now (I think) I know this is where they diverge as I mentioned.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
I would think that most 1.5 things are post community center anyway.

I would spoiler things like how to get to the secret wood, but not that there is a secret wood. Anything where I think someone might like to figure things out on their own gets a spoiler tag.

Yeah, it is interesting on how folks would and do spoiler different things, I kinda thought that in a post title, secret woods would be one I'd spoiler too (probably it is the word "secret" that makes me think that). In a post, not so much since as Worblehat mentioned, it is not required. Though I do see where it might be good to if I mention a spoiler in an unspoilered thread title (that is titled on a slightly different but related topic--that happens all the time and looks "safe" to read for folks that don't want spoilers, but wasnt required, so I hadn’t thought about it fully for myself). To be clear, these questions are to help me to calibrate my own behavior, not as any question or suggestion as to other's, and not ask to change anything.

The differences in how spoilering is used is kinda what made me wonder if the guidelines felt super clear to others. Hopefully we won't have to do it for much longer and this is moot heheheh. 😁 Though I assume it will probably happen again in future where mobile is ported last so the kinks can be worked out before porting.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
I mean, you always get people who start new, so I would still spoiler puzzle solutions and such in posts.

I don't think I would ever have found the secret woods on my own though, so someone mention it and then looking it up helped me with quite a lot of secrets.

Yeah, I agree, puzzle solutions seems like a good one that didn’t occur right away. Same thing for me for Secret Woods, I saw it on a Reddit post when googling how to get certain items. I find the spoilers to be helpful too but understand that other folks may not feel the same.

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
Hey CryogenCrystals! We could definitely clarify our spoiler rules, I'll discuss this with the team and we can update our wording. You have a good point about the information not being listed in full in both the Forum Rules and the General Discussion section's guidelines post.