Spam reporting technically slowed down

Quirinea

Farmer
I noticed two obvious spam messages directly after each other. Reported one (offering fake passports or the like).Ok, there it wen't. Oh, there's second one trying to sell cats. Report it. "Oops something went wrong, you must wait at least 8 seconds... Counted to twelve and retried. Through it went.

Erm. Luckily not here, but I've seen spammers pouring scores of messages in rapid succession. Slowing down reporting does not seem rational.

imnvs

Local Legend
Ah, wish you'd said something on those posts. I usually just reply with a "reported" to let others know they don't need to spam the Moderators and Admin with reports.

Also, I agree that spam bots have no limiters on how often they can post, but we can't report them just as fast as they post? That seems backwards in every way.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for letting us know!

I can't find any setting that lets me change the report time, but I could be just not seeing it. In the meantime, if there are multiple threads by the same person, while it's totally fine to report all of them, only one is necessary since we can clean all the posts they make very easily, so it's not the biggest deal if you can't report all the posts quickly

Quirinea

Farmer
OK, that happened today :frown: . This time they were from the same user, though. The yesterday one were from different users. Unfortunately I've seen that too: Spammer123, Spammer 124, Spammer234 etc. pouring garbage in rapid succession from umpteen new accounts...
Seems Aidahar the Dragon is needed here (his favorite food is a spammer in chili and lemon marinade, devoured alive).

Corvus

Sodbuster
Is it possible to have a 24 hour delay between account creation and first post? Another game I play, on-line, has a rule that you have to fight at least 5 or 10 battles, depending on the forum, before you can post. You register with your game login so that would not be possible here.

liquidcat

Staff member
Is it possible to have a 24 hour delay between account creation and first post? Another game I play, on-line, has a rule that you have to fight at least 5 or 10 battles, depending on the forum, before you can post. You register with your game login so that would not be possible here.
I believe mods did previously discuss ways to combat spam including needing to wait a while before you can post. From my own personal perspective as much as it might help combat spam it also ends up being huge inconvenience for new users who are just trying to get help with technical issues and such.

Current spam wave is very unusual, generally they only last for a week or two max before the spam filters are able to blacklist the type of spam they’re using and regular forum users don’t have to deal with them. We can only hope the filters can figure out what’s going on with the current wave (We use xenforo forum software so we don’t have direct control over things such as how spam filter works, etc)

I do feel bad that you guys have to see so much spam lately. I’ll check again with others to see what we can do here.

Quirinea

Farmer
I believe mods did previously discuss ways to combat spam including needing to wait a while before you can post. From my own personal perspective as much as it might help combat spam it also ends up being huge inconvenience for new users who are just trying to get help with technical issues and such.
Yeah. The majority of "newbie posts" seem to be about some technical issue with the game and unfortunately most spam-fighting delays would hit them too. Waiting a day while you cannot get the game to work? No links? Oops. How do you then send your SMAPI log (or other information)? etc.