Greenhorn
I am trying to use the terminal tip from the Troubleshooting guide

My username is homecomputer

I open the terminal, and type
sudo chown -v homecomputer ~/.config

Terminal says / writes
Password:

I type in my password and press return. Terminal says / writes

homecomputer is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

What am I doing wrong? I don't really know anything about the terminal.
I suspect maybe it is because I am not an administrator user, but I can play other games like WoW just fine.

Thank you for reading and considering this!

Lew Zealand

Helper
I am trying to use the terminal tip from the Troubleshooting guide

My username is homecomputer

I open the terminal, and type
sudo chown -v homecomputer ~/.config

Terminal says / writes
Password:

I type in my password and press return. Terminal says / writes

homecomputer is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

What am I doing wrong? I don't really know anything about the terminal.
I suspect maybe it is because I am not an administrator user, but I can play other games like WoW just fine.

Thank you for reading and considering this!
Hi SkyBornDancer and Welcome to the Forums!

For starters, yes only administrators on the Mac can run a 'sudo' command, sorry! Seeing as this is the first troubleshooting suggestion in the note you linked to, please ask someone who is admin on your Mac to give you temporary administrator rights (they can do this in System Preferences / Users & Groups), then restart the Mac and you log in and run the Terminal command again. Probably should also run Stardew Valley once to make sure it works, and then have your admin rights removed and restart the Mac again. Try out SDV again and hopefully it works properly now!

🤞

SkyBornDancer

Greenhorn
Hi SkyBornDancer and Welcome to the Forums!

For starters, yes only administrators on the Mac can run a 'sudo' command, sorry! Seeing as this is the first troubleshooting suggestion in the note you linked to, please ask someone who is admin on your Mac to give you temporary administrator rights (they can do this in System Preferences / Users & Groups), then restart the Mac and you log in and run the Terminal command again. Probably should also run Stardew Valley once to make sure it works, and then have your admin rights removed and restart the Mac again. Try out SDV again and hopefully it works properly now!

🤞
Success! This technique of getting administrator user privileges, then following the terminal tip process, worked like a charm! The game now launches and works perfectly.

Thank you! I will try to mark this thread as solved <3