Issue SMAPI update help needed

DorielP

Newcomer
I downloaded some new mods which asked me to update SMAPI. I downloaded the newest version I could see (3.15.0) and extracted it. I copied all the files and pasted them over to where it's meant to go and just clicked to replace the old files. When I click SMAPI Installer and click for it to install though it comes up with this message "Removing previous SMAPI files... Oops! The installer couldn't delete C:\Games\Stardew Valley\Content\Newtonsoft.Json.dll: [UnauthorizedAccessException] Access to the path 'C:\Games\Stardew Valley\Content\Newtonsoft.Json.dll' is denied.. Try rebooting your computer and then run the installer again. If that doesn't work, try deleting it yourself then press any key to retry." When I delete that file however then the installer doesn't run anymore. I have also tried restarting my computer which didn't fix the issue. For context, if it changes anything, I play through the Xbox app.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
I downloaded some new mods which asked me to update SMAPI. I downloaded the newest version I could see (3.15.0) and extracted it. I copied all the files and pasted them over to where it's meant to go and just clicked to replace the old files. When I click SMAPI Installer and click for it to install though it comes up with this message "Removing previous SMAPI files... Oops! The installer couldn't delete C:\Games\Stardew Valley\Content\Newtonsoft.Json.dll: [UnauthorizedAccessException] Access to the path 'C:\Games\Stardew Valley\Content\Newtonsoft.Json.dll' is denied.. Try rebooting your computer and then run the installer again. If that doesn't work, try deleting it yourself then press any key to retry." When I delete that file however then the installer doesn't run anymore. I have also tried restarting my computer which didn't fix the issue. For context, if it changes anything, I play through the Xbox app.

Hello there ^^

Sorry for not properly understanding, but do you mean you copy and pasted Smapi or are you speaking about the mods or both? Again, apologies for my lack of comprehending at the moment. This is probably a ‘oh duh’ moment for me.

also, this can help with being able to assist better:

https://smapi.io/log
Please upload your log to the link above. Instructions on how to do so are found there. After, please then copy and paste the SMAPI log parser link that it generates for your specific log, and not the entire log contents itself. It’s in the box just below ‘SMAPI Log Parser’ and above the log contents. That way we can better assist. ^^

Image ref/example of the link;;

436F39F7-98E6-43AB-A45F-FEC94D4614DB.png

DorielP

Newcomer
Hello there ^^

Sorry for not properly understanding, but do you mean you copy and pasted Smapi or are you speaking about the mods or both? Again, apologies for my lack of comprehending at the moment. This is probably a ‘oh duh’ moment for me.

also, this can help with being able to assist better:

https://smapi.io/log
Please upload your log to the link above. Instructions on how to do so are found there. After, please then copy and paste the SMAPI log parser link that it generates for your specific log, and not the entire log contents itself. It’s in the box just below ‘SMAPI Log Parser’ and above the log contents. That way we can better assist. ^^

Image ref/example of the link;;

View attachment 10432
Hi, I did the log thing which you can find here https://smapi.io/log/be250034938f4e869e257720caa2cc6a
I couldn't see anything in it relating to my issue when I skimmed it but hopefully there's something useful there for you as obviously it's not really anything I would know about.

I copy pasted the SMAPI files, the mods were already in the folder and I just left them there. I didn't touch anything in my game files, just hit paste and clicked replace all. I really hope I haven't messed up too much.

Would it be possible to just delete all SMAPI related files in my game folder and then try installing it fresh? Or will that make things worse?

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Hi, I did the log thing which you can find here https://smapi.io/log/be250034938f4e869e257720caa2cc6a
I couldn't see anything in it relating to my issue when I skimmed it but hopefully there's something useful there for you as obviously it's not really anything I would know about.

I copy pasted the SMAPI files, the mods were already in the folder and I just left them there. I didn't touch anything in my game files, just hit paste and clicked replace all. I really hope I haven't messed up too much.

Would it be possible to just delete all SMAPI related files in my game folder and then try installing it fresh? Or will that make things worse?
Hopefully I explain this to where it makes sense:
For SMAPI update downloads, after you download and extract it to the Stardew Valley game folder, there will be a new SMAPI installer for that new version of SMAPI. You go through the install process again (clicking the ‘Install on Windows’). Basically, it’s the same process as when you installed SMAPI for the very first time.

What I’ve done, is that I always keep the prior version of SMAPI installed until after I’ve made sure the newest/latest version runs properly. Afterwards, I delete the older version of SMAPI. c:

Also, you still have a few other mods to update;;

Stardust Core - (this one is a crucial mod)

SpaceCore - (this one is a crucial mod)

Happy Birthday English Content Pack -

It’s always best to update mods with updates. Whilst there are certain mods you can get away with without updating them, and it not affecting gameplay negatively, there are others where they need to be updated or else gameplay is entirely affected negatively. But, even for the former, it’s still best to update anyway, for updates often improve on bugs that mod has, or even just simply make the mod better as a whole/adds new contents to the mod. ^^

If there are still issues, please a new error log. c: I do hope this fixes your problem though, but if not, we’re here to help try to get it sorted.