Issue SMAPI reports game, not mod, error--random crashing during multiplayer. Not sure what to do to fix it! Please help!

haleyes98

Greenhorn
Hi all!

My partner (guest playing on a Mac) and I (host playing on Windows) have been struggling with Stardew crashing on his end randomly during multiplayer gameplay. I have no issues on my end. we're not sure what's triggering it.

Here's his SMAPI log:

https://smapi.io/log/78d29e99fca24173992930d07aee7d46

Any help is greatly appreciated <3!! We've been trying to play for a week now and we keep bumping into crashes and it stinks! thank you!

Thanks for sending your partner's log over. On their end; there seems to be an error after the game disconnects. It seems like SMAPI/SDV is having a permission issue or something when trying to write the disconnect log.

Code:
22:03:47    TRACE    game    Disconnecting from server 127416180869228235
22:03:47    ERROR    game    An error occurred in the base update loop: IOException: The file '/Users/lukeantolin/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS/StardewValley' already exists.
   at System.IO.FileSystem.CreateDirectory(String fullPath)
   at StardewValley.Program.WriteLog(LogType logType, String message, Boolean append)
   at StardewValley.Multiplayer.LogDisconnect(DisconnectType disconnectType)
   at StardewValley.Multiplayer.clientRemotelyDisconnected(DisconnectType disconnectType)
   at StardewValley.Game1._update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
   at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.SCore.OnPlayerInstanceUpdating(SGame instance, GameTime gameTime, Action runUpdate)
So, on Linux & Mac there's 2 locations for SDV related stuff outside of the game folder.

First Location with the following folders, and files: ~/.config/StardewValley
Code:
├── default_options
├── ErrorLogs
│   └── SMAPI-latest.txt
├── Saves
└── startup_preferences
Second Location with the following folders: ~/.local/share/StardewValley
Code:
├── DisconnectLogs
├── ErrorLogs
└── Screenshots
---
Things to try:
---

1. Could you have your partner load up SMAPI/SDV, and use the Screenshot button under the Options tab? Screenshots are next to the DisconnectLogs folder so I'm wondering if it'll throw the same errors.
2. Check the permission of the folder. Have him search for the terminal, and run this command to show the permissions: ls -ld ~/.local/share/StardewValley/

This is my output of the command as an example on Linux:
Code:
$ ls -ld ~/.local/share/StardewValley/
drwxrwxr-x 5 marc marc 4096 Sep 22  2020 /home/marc/.local/share/StardewValley/
3. And lastly, disconnect errors happen for a variety of reasons. From network issues to actual game errors. Just in case; could you post a log as well; just so we can verify no errors happen on your end that disconnect him.