Slime Charmer

ValleyGirl

Tiller
Has anyone got the slime charmer ring? I need to check the wiki on how to get it as I've now got a slime hutch and as I've the auto attack setting on, everytime I go in I murder all my slime. Just put a fence up, but now I can't reach the slime eggs. So I'm desperate the get the slime charmer ring.

Elenna101

Farmer
You get it at the adventurer's guild by killing 1000 slimes. If you want to grind for that, one good way is to reset floor 5 of the mines repeatedly, since green slimes are easy to kill and there are not many monsters that can spawn there so they're pretty common. Alternatively, I'm not 100% sure if the little slimes that appear when you kill a big slime count for that goal, but if they do you could try resetting floor 1 of Skull Caverns repeatedly since big slimes spawn there fairly often - obviously they're harder to kill though.

Since you mentioned auto-attack I assume you're on mobile and don't have access to the 1.5 items. But if anyone is seeing this and does have 1.5, monster musk would be a big help. Also in 1.5, turning on the hard mode of the mines would increase slime spawn rate, if you've gotten that far.

Another option, probably easier, is to put craftable flooring down on the part inside the fence where the slimes are. If you do that, slime eggs can't spawn there, so they'll all spawn in the part outside the fence that you can reach.

ValleyGirl

Tiller
Thats a great tip about the flooring. I didn't realise that! Thanks.

I play on Android mostly, but also on Xbox, so I have the best of both pre and post 1.5 update.

Can't wait to get the update on the mobile, though I hear it a while off yet. I don't mind waiting though as its something to look forward to and it doesn't bother me to read spoilers on here or on the wiki

Hill Myna

Farmer
Alternatively, I'm not 100% sure if the little slimes that appear when you kill a big slime count for that goal, but if they do you could try resetting floor 1 of Skull Caverns repeatedly since big slimes spawn there fairly often - obviously they're harder to kill though.
Two quotes from my Skull Cavern guide:
Purple Slimes

Monster Eradication Goal – These do not count towards the Kill 1,000 Slimes goal, but Tiny Slimes do.
Rings
  • Slime Charmer Ring: Slimes can't damage you; reward for eradicating 1,000 Slimes – Mitigates Slime dodging; this saves time. Although I enjoy avoiding Slimes, this Ring is super handy for those moments when A) the game lags, B) I make a mistake or C) I just can't be bothered to kill the Slime that keeps sneaking through my legs. But 1,000 Slimes is... a lot. I suggest crushing the Slimes of Floors 1-30 with Monster Musk to fulfil this goal.
So yes, despite the fact that Little Slimes do count, I still recommend bringing a Hammer, some form of Magnet Ring, and ideally the Savage Ring to the early Levels of the Mines in order to get the Slime Charmer Ring.

LRangerR

Local Legend
You get it at the adventurer's guild by killing 1000 slimes. If you want to grind for that, one good way is to reset floor 5 of the mines repeatedly, since green slimes are easy to kill and there are not many monsters that can spawn there so they're pretty common. Alternatively, I'm not 100% sure if the little slimes that appear when you kill a big slime count for that goal, but if they do you could try resetting floor 1 of Skull Caverns repeatedly since big slimes spawn there fairly often - obviously they're harder to kill though.

Since you mentioned auto-attack I assume you're on mobile and don't have access to the 1.5 items. But if anyone is seeing this and does have 1.5, monster musk would be a big help. Also in 1.5, turning on the hard mode of the mines would increase slime spawn rate, if you've gotten that far.

Another option, probably easier, is to put craftable flooring down on the part inside the fence where the slimes are. If you do that, slime eggs can't spawn there, so they'll all spawn in the part outside the fence that you can reach.
I was seriously wondering what happened to my slime egg production after I crystalized my floor of my Hutch. Thanks!

ValleyGirl

Tiller
So lots of people have mentioned 'reseting' floors here - is that just a mean of exiting the mines and coming back in again, or is there another technique? Excuse my naivity, but I only hav my 10yr old to talk to about SDV and he knows less that me.

Ereo

Helper
Yes, that's just exiting and going back. I think you need to wait for the clock to change before you go back down, otherwise you go back to the same floor.

Hill Myna

Farmer
So lots of people have mentioned 'reseting' floors here - is that just a mean of exiting the mines and coming back in again, or is there another technique? Excuse my naivity, but I only hav my 10yr old to talk to about SDV and he knows less that me.
Yes, that's just exiting and going back. I think you need to wait for the clock to change before you go back down, otherwise you go back to the same floor.
Two things change the spawns on a given floor:

1. Waiting for the clock to change, as @Ereo mentioned. This is referred to as a "tick".
2. Taking either the ladder or the elevator back to floor 0.

So the fastest way to reset floors is to spam the elevator buttons until they break! :D

Example:

1. Decide what you are looking for. If ores, what type? If monsters, what type? In this case, we are here for Green Slimes.

2. If ores, head to floors that end in 0 in the ore's respective floor set. Ores won't spawn on floors with elevators (5, 15, etc.), but floors ending in 0 always have a ladder at the entrance (excluding 120), so take the elevator to these floors. Keep in mind that Gem Nodes can still spawn on -0 floors. In this case, we don't want ores.

3. If monsters, head to floors that end in 5. Even though you won't get any ores, monsters will still spawn. In this case, floors 5 and 15 are the best (25 also spawns Grubs, reducing the number of Slimes).

4. Take the elevator to the first in the floor set (5), kill any monsters near the entrance. Don't take ladders, return to the lift. Repeat for the second (and third, if available) floors in the set.

5. If one tick has passed, repeat step 4. If not, take the elevator back up to floor 0, and then repeat step 4.

6. Continue until your goal has been achieved.

I think it's best left up to personal opinion how far you are prepared to leave the entrance for monsters. My rule of thumb is if it's on screen when you're at minimum zoom level (75%), then it is worth it. But like I said, this heavily depends on play style.

Hope this helps!

Elenna101

Farmer
This was true in 1.3 but is no longer true in singleplayer. As @Hill Myna said, they will reset either when the clock changes or when you go to floor 0, so you can reset instantly by exiting to floor 0 and re-entering.

In multiplayer, you have to wait for the clock to change. Also, I believe the floors only reset if they are below the player who is furthest down in the mines. E.g. if you have one player on floor 0, another on floor 12, and another on floor 58, only floors 59 and below will reset.

imnvs

Local Legend
This was true in 1.3 but is no longer true in singleplayer. As @Hill Myna said, they will reset either when the clock changes or when you go to floor 0, so you can reset instantly by exiting to floor 0 and re-entering.

In multiplayer, you have to wait for the clock to change. Also, I believe the floors only reset if they are below the player who is furthest down in the mines. E.g. if you have one player on floor 0, another on floor 12, and another on floor 58, only floors 59 and below will reset.
I believe that in multiplayer both players need to leave the Mines and you need to wait for the clock to tick for it to reset.

Cuusardo

Farmer
Decorated Hutch.png
Decorating your slime hutch can be fun! I use the slime charmer ring so I don't have to bother with flooring and fences. Because fences do degrade in a slime hutch. I found this out first hand.