Skull Cavern Level 100

Alright everyone, I've been going for the Skull Cavern Level 100 quest for a while now, and I'm hoping some people are willing to share their strategies! So far I haven't even been able to get down to level 50.

I'm using warp totems to get there early, equipped with the Lava Katana, Vampire Ring, Space Boots [i think], and I've started taking to buying a bunch of bombs to try to find holes faster. I know staircases are also an option but I feel like a successful run would use a combination of both? Or maybe I need to boost Luck/Mining?

I'd love to hear some examples of how you've been most successful navigating Skull Cavern, I assume there's a strategy I've been missing, thank you for your time!

Ereo

Helper
Bombs, lots of bombs.

Going on a lucky day (The spirits are very happy) also helps finding ladders and chutes quickly.

Using food with either speed or luck buff as well as espresso is a good idea. I prefer spicy eel, because with spicy eel and coffee you can outrun most enemies, but ginger ale or lucky lunch also have their advantages.

I always carry a steak of staircases to use when I hit a spiral or an infested level as they take too much time. Note there are two cutscenes depending on the number of staircases you use, but you can use a handful and still get the "honorable" way.

Generally, I use magnet and light rings until I get an iridium band. Napalm is also cool if you don't have so many bombs, but if you have bombs, it's a good idea not to waste time fighting monsters.

You didn't say whether you run it of time or health, so I'll just add that I take two or three buffed foods to last the day and fill up on cheese when health gets low (I take at least 20, might need more of you're not good at avoiding monsters).

Firstly, why do you want to do it? If it's just for the completion aspect, and you're not fussy about how, then just take a warp totem and 99 Staircases and you can be in and out in time for lunch in the Saloon.

If it's for the challenge of actually besting it, most importantly you need to go on a lucky day. Check the luck on TV, and if it's not a stadrop, don't go that day. It also helps if you've given a rabbit's foot to the truck driver and acquired the lucky charm in return, for a permanent luck boost.

For weaponry, you want a galaxy sword (or galaxy hammer), because the lava katana doesn't hit hard enough.

You want speed buffs, +1 from coffee and another +1 from Spicy Eel, which also has +1 luck buff too, aiding in finding the ladders. Get a bunch of Spicy Eel from the desert trader by swapping rubies, 3 of them will last the day. Just buy a stack of coffee from Gus. The resulting +2 speed means you can outrun the green serpents

You also need a lot of food to heal; I'd recommend buying a stack of 100 salad from Gus, because it will heal big chunks quickly but won't overwrite the buffs

Take a big stack of bombs, and the spam them to clean out floors quickly. Focus on the ladders, and go down as soon as you find one, don't get distracted by a lone piece of shiny the other side of the floor, it's a waste of time.

Don't get dragged into combat. Avoid monsters wherever possible, and if you keep health topped up with eating salads, you can always survive a hit from the monsters, so sometimes the best option is to run straight through them and take the hit

Have a few Staircases and always use them on the spiral floors

The only way I've been able to do it is with 80+ stairs. Even just putting one after another, it usually takes me until after midnight. Then after level 100 I use all the strategies outlined here to do a little mining, collecting iridium & hoping for prismatic shards. With luck, bombs, and buffs I collect a little loot and get home!

Thank you everyone. My issue is moreso running out of time, so your suggestions sound right up my alley.

I guess I could save up a bunch of stone for staircases, I think I've just never had enough at once when I've considered it. I suppose at this point I am just trying to complete the quest here so I'll save up for that, and use the other strategies for searching for prismatic shards/loot.

Thank you everyone. My issue is moreso running out of time, so your suggestions sound right up my alley.

I guess I could save up a bunch of stone for staircases, I think I've just never had enough at once when I've considered it. I suppose at this point I am just trying to complete the quest here so I'll save up for that, and use the other strategies for searching for prismatic shards/loot.
In case you were not aware, there is a MUCH easier way to get staircases than saving up stone. If you have one or more crystalariums, then switch the gems out for jade and trade your jade to the desert trader on Sunday for staircases. I have gotten stacks upon stacks from this method, and it is very cheap and renewable.

In case you were not aware, there is a MUCH easier way to get staircases than saving up stone. If you have one or more crystalariums, then switch the gems out for jade and trade your jade to the desert trader on Sunday for staircases. I have gotten stacks upon stacks from this method, and it is very cheap and renewable.
Fantastic, I've only traded a few times with the Desert Trader but I have a Crystalarium and plenty of Jade!

Lew Zealand

Helper

Don't Grab Stuff!

Seriously, stop grabbing stuff on the upper levels and get to 100 with your Horse Blinders on.

I finally made it there a few months ago after many many failures and here's how:

Lucky Day!
Iridium Band + your other favorite Ring
20x Coffee, 3x Spicy Eel. (Speed)
50+ Bombs (save your Quartz for this, buy @Desert Trader)
65 or so Staircases (see @WhiteEagle12 's post)
30+ Gold Star Cheese (even close to half Health? Eat one!)

Bomb once where there are a lot of stones. If you get a Shaft, take it! If you get Stairs take them. If you get neither, pop down Staircase and go! No Gathering other than what your Iridium Ring gets for you!!

Repeat.

You'll start to see more Iridium Nodes on 60+. Ignore them! The Monsters are trying to distract you, don't let 'em. Especially the Flying Serpents. They know you're tasty eatin's and will stop for pretty shiny things. Don't give in!

No Gathering!
nocapes.jpg

If you feel you're running out of time, bang down those Stairs and don't look back unless you see a Shaft, those are faster and save Stairs.

Once you get to 100, if you have time left, then carpet Bomb Levels 101+ and gather everything.

But Only After Level 100!!

Last edited:
Something not mentioned but very worthwhile, oil of garlic. It’ll put an end to those infested floors and doesn’t interfere with other buffs. I wouldn’t waste an inventory spot on carrying more than one, but bringing one and drinking it right before you start I’ve personally found to be helpful. Otherwise my advice would just mirror that which everyone else has already covered. Good luck!

It’s worth noting that it’s substantially harder to get it done the honorable way in multiplayer than in single player, but the stair counts are per player as is the outcome. I don’t think that applies here but something to keep in mind if it ever comes up.

Don't Grab Stuff!

Seriously, stop grabbing stuff on the upper levels and get to 100 with your Horse Blinders on.

I finally made it there a few months ago after many many failures and here's how:

Lucky Day!
Iridium Band + your other favorite Ring
20x Coffee, 3x Spicy Eel. (Speed)
50+ Bombs (save your Quartz for this, buy @Desert Trader)
65 or so Staircases (see @WhiteEagle12 's post)
30+ Gold Star Cheese (even close to half Health? Eat one!)

Bomb once where there are a lot of stones. If you get a Shaft, take it! If you get Stairs take them. If you get neither, pop down Staircase and go! No Gathering other than what your Iridium Ring gets for you!!

Repeat.

You'll start to see more Iridium Nodes on 60+. Ignore them! The Monsters are trying to distract you, don't let 'em. Especially the Flying Serpents. They know you're tasty eatin's and will stop for pretty shiny things. Don't give in!

No Gathering!
View attachment 8205

If you feel you're running out of time, bang down those Stairs and don't look back unless you see a Shaft, those are faster and save Stairs.

Once you get to 100, if you have time left, then carpet Bomb Levels 101+ and gather everything.

But Only After Level 100!!
Yes perfect! I love it!