Skull cavern dives and loot

Lew Zealand

Helper
Funny you should write that (above), because I just watched a good bulk of this video. Holy shmoke!!

Have to respectfully disagree with him that he is bad at the game, though 😂
Things are going so fast I'm not even sure what is going on. Totally nuts.
"I only got 60 floors from 8:10 til 8:20, that was bad!" 🤣

10 minutes. 60 floors took me 2 hours.

imnvs

Local Legend
I've never been able to master pausebuffering either. Then again, I'm doing fine and am not competing with anyone to get further down in the SC.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Getting to the Skull Cavern early in a new game is certainly a different proposal than when you are geared up, money is no issue, and you have most of the stardrops. This was only the second or third trip, which means I have close to 0 bombs, and certainly no stairs, except the odd one if I get enough stone naturally. Still, bonkers luck here, though. Check that ratio!! 😂

Screenshot from 2022-08-01 15-39-12.png

One prismatic shard dropped from a serpent, but still, that is crazy luck. The other prismatic shard came from I believe the third iridium node that was cracked open. Found a few more further down, so the trip ended with 19 iridium ore, and the two prismatic shards. Now I can safely gift one to the museum :)

(Btw, the iridium band was fished up, and the lucky ring dropped in the regular mine I believe. Didn't know that was possible.)

One of the first serpents dropped spicy eel, so that was very nice. Became painfully slow once it wore off. Felt like walking through syrup :D

Pangaearocks

Planter
Will take this here as it's kinda related.

What gives? I got to level 100 and there was no reward or cutscene or anything? Is it because I technically haven't gotten the level 100 quest yet? Was so happy to get down there so early in the game (Summer 23), almost without any stairs (crafted 1), and then... nothing 😰

Screenshot from 2022-08-01 20-16-43.png

Lew Zealand

Helper
Will take this here as it's kinda related.

What gives? I got to level 100 and there was no reward or cutscene or anything? Is it because I technically haven't gotten the level 100 quest yet? Was so happy to get down there so early in the game (Summer 23), almost without any stairs (crafted 1), and then... nothing 😰

View attachment 11174
Yes 100%. You need the Level 100 Qi quest active to trigger the special room and event on SC100. I've only made this mistake once. It's not the type of thing you forget to do again.......mostly.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
This is an extreme example, but it's possible to go 70+ floors in one 10-minute interval with really, really good pause buffering.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkBpk2kqd1w
(One slight nitpick with that video, Waligug says a 10-minute tick is 7 IRL seconds, that's true outside Skull Caverns, but inside Skull Caverns in singleplayer it's 9 seconds.)

Yep, shafts are 3-15 floors. The game randomly picks a number from 3 to 8, and then there's a 10% chance to double that number minus 1 (which incidentally means 10, 12, and 14-floor shafts are impossible, unless you're ending on floor 100).

I do some skull cavern runs for autopetters and money but mostly it's just for fun (and Qi quests).
Right now I can do like 60-70 levels per tick which most people regard as “really good” and though it’s only improbable in my eyes.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Oh FFS. Things were going so well, coffee had run out, so drink another cup. Boom, I'm back at the top of the bloody Caverns!! Stupid crap 🤬

Got to level 200 at 9:50, after picking up loot from maybe 10 treasure rooms. Level 100 at 08:00. Slow as an obese turtle compared with the nutters doing 70 floors per 10 minute tick, but I felt things were going well. Until that stupid accident at floor 240 or so, when I had started to explore the floors a bit more. It was only 11:50, so could have had another 12 hours left, so that felt horrible, and I feel like I have no option but to re-start the day. Shame about the nice loot (auto-petter, auto-grabber, crystalarium and some iridium bars), but only had one prismatic shard (from 129 ores), so that helps take some of the sting off.

This is the first real effort I've put into deep dives in this save. Had around 1200 stairs at this point, but until now I've only taken with a handful of stairs and bombs and done it the slow way, hacking away at stones with the pickaxe. How early do others start spamming stairs to get down fast?

Screenshot from 2022-08-11 09-15-42.png

Edit: Take two. Went better without the idiot mistake of going back up the stairs by accident. By far the most ore I've picked up, though the prismatic shard ratio is poor I suppose. Still, I'm pleased with that 😄
Screenshot from 2022-08-11 10-31-29.png

Used some 300 stairs I reckon and 125 bombs, so it wasn't a cheap run by any means. Had to check the Checkup site to see what floor it was, because this was obviously the deepest dive. 378. Neat.

Last edited:
This looks like it could be a fun topic 😀👍

I don't know what it is with bombs, but I am extremely shy about using them. Perhaps it's a subconscious self-imposed challenge. I only tend to use them to kill mummies, but only if I can get them in groups of 3 or more. The most I've ever used in a single Skull Cavern run is about 20 or so.

Also, I'm in the midst of a 21-days-in-invaded-Skull-Caverns stretch -- yes, that's with accepting 3 consecutive Qi Quests of Skull Cavern invasion back-to-back-to-back -- with the purpose of grinding for Radioactive Ore and Qi Gems. It kind of has a "Naked and Afraid" feel to it and I've needed plenty of food to stay alive, even with a Vampiric Infinity Blade and the Slime Charmer Ring. I've gotten around 200 Radioactive Ore so far after 14 consecutive days in Invaded Skull Caverns -- those nodes are quite rare!

Hill Myna

Farmer
Things were going so well, coffee had run out, so drink another cup. Boom, I'm back at the top of the bloody Caverns!!
Happens to the best of us! ;D

But you glossed over the best of your fabulous loot: that one Jade! How handy, I'm sure it'll be essential to making sure you have enough Staircases for your next trip! 😅
Had around 1200 stairs at this point, but until now I've only taken with a handful of stairs and bombs and done it the slow way, hacking away at stones with the pickaxe. How early do others start spamming stairs to get down fast?
Diving deep yields a higher ROI, both in terms of Bombs but also time. So if you have the Staircases, use them, because if you come home with 50 more Iridium, that's another 5 Crystalariums in the bag, shortening the "accumulation period", meaning you can head back sooner!

Although it is worth remembering that by using lots of Bombs instead of using lots of Staircases, while you can often get a lesser result in terms of Iridium gained, you'll be pocketing tonnes of Stone, Ores, Gems, and Geodes, all of which are really useful early- to mid-game.

So yeah, to answer your question: it's definitely a balancing act, but generally speaking, "ASAP!"

Pangaearocks

Planter
Diving deep yields a higher ROI, both in terms of Bombs but also time. So if you have the Staircases, use them, because if you come home with 50 more Iridium, that's another 5 Crystalariums in the bag, shortening the "accumulation period", meaning you can head back sooner!

Although it is worth remembering that by using lots of Bombs instead of using lots of Staircases, while you can often get a lesser result in terms of Iridium gained, you'll be pocketing tonnes of Stone, Ores, Gems, and Geodes, all of which are really useful early- to mid-game.
Turns out bombs are actually pretty expensive when I thought about it. 60,000g for a stack of 100, and I used more than that. But since I'm not using the slingshot (ammo is expensive too, so there is that), I have found that placing a bunch of bombs on floors with loads of iridium nodes is so, so handy. The Dwarf must be the richest person in Pelican Town after all the bombs I've bought from him, and this is just the beginning of the madness.

Not sure if it was you who mentioned it or somebody else, but I've found that the big bottleneck for the crystalarium kingdom shed is gold, and to a lesser extent batteries. I'm bathing in iridium and have sold several hundred bars already.
So yeah, to answer your question: it's definitely a balancing act, but generally speaking, "ASAP!"
Yeah, I have been way too conservative so far. These deeper dives with lotsa bombs also yields more gold, and I ought to start using a bigger portion of the stairs already accumulated. Had another go after the one I posted a screenshot of above. Not quite as good in terms of ore (750-ish), but actually ended up with 11 prismatic shards, one more than last time. Both days were max luck, but you still need some fortune with the floors.

Will focus more on expanding the jade crystalariums so I can do serious deep dives more often. Currently have 30, which is okay, but 50-100 would be better. However, gold+batteries is an issue. Had several thunderstorm days lately, but at best I'm getting only 10 batteries. 40-ish lightning rods was a little overkill... I know about the rain totem thing, but I have no way of getting truffle oil, and don't have any tappers on pine trees anyway. It's an awkward recipe.

Cool if more people write about tips and ideas in here, and your hauls 🙂

PS: At one point in one of those runs I got three treasure rooms in a row. The chance for that must be miniscule!

Pangaearocks

Planter
Wow. Came across this video by @BlaDe. Very informational, thanks :)

Surprised at the iridium graph, though, because I was sure it increased a lot more after floor 100 as well.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Turns out bombs are actually pretty expensive when I thought about it. 60,000g for a stack of 100, and I used more than that. But since I'm not using the slingshot (ammo is expensive too, so there is that), I have found that placing a bunch of bombs on floors with loads of iridium nodes is so, so handy. The Dwarf must be the richest person in Pelican Town after all the bombs I've bought from him, and this is just the beginning of the madness.

Not sure if it was you who mentioned it or somebody else, but I've found that the big bottleneck for the crystalarium kingdom shed is gold, and to a lesser extent batteries. I'm bathing in iridium and have sold several hundred bars already.

Yeah, I have been way too conservative so far. These deeper dives with lotsa bombs also yields more gold, and I ought to start using a bigger portion of the stairs already accumulated. Had another go after the one I posted a screenshot of above. Not quite as good in terms of ore (750-ish), but actually ended up with 11 prismatic shards, one more than last time. Both days were max luck, but you still need some fortune with the floors.

Will focus more on expanding the jade crystalariums so I can do serious deep dives more often. Currently have 30, which is okay, but 50-100 would be better. However, gold+batteries is an issue. Had several thunderstorm days lately, but at best I'm getting only 10 batteries. 40-ish lightning rods was a little overkill... I know about the rain totem thing, but I have no way of getting truffle oil, and don't have any tappers on pine trees anyway. It's an awkward recipe.

Cool if more people write about tips and ideas in here, and your hauls 🙂

PS: At one point in one of those runs I got three treasure rooms in a row. The chance for that must be miniscule!
The gold is an absolute killer, I’m working on covering the whole map of stardew with crystalariums which including my farm is probably like 20-30k.
I recently bought a chest of gold ore which cost a bit over 26 million though the investment is mostly worth it, I have only about 2800 crystalariums now though.
I decided I will work on my pseudo afk method for cash then use that for a few hundred more SoEF and like half a billion g worth of gold ore 💀.
I don’t even harvest the crystalariums rn so might as well keep the side project as a side project, I was mostly just having them and harvesting to fill a chest with diamonds which I did.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Wow. Came across this video by @BlaDe. Very informational, thanks :)

Surprised at the iridium graph, though, because I was sure it increased a lot more after floor 100 as well.
It used to but was patched, you used to be able to get full only iridium floors around floor 5-600 but now it’s 1740 for full ore and 5600 for fully iridium nodes only, I want to get there but I think it would take a few days of just playing when my fingers and mind are at their sharpest.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Thanks, looks like it was nerfed very heavily yeah. But also looks like it was needed when people can just stairs down to floor 500 or whatever and have practically every rock be iridium. And earlier SDV versions didn't have it nearly as easy to gather stones for stairs either (very expensive!). Nor could the stairs stack. Tit for tat I suppose.

Decided to gobble down some Magic Rock Candy. Two in fact.

Skull cavern floor 481.png

Skull cavern floor 481 loot.png

The haul is certainly quite nice, a personal record (also for depth, almost to floor 500!). But I may actually have run with a loss, as amazing as that sounds 😱 Because I used some 300-350 stairs, and 130-ish bombs (started with 200 regular and 11 megas). The bombs alone cost 120,000g. Stairs are sorta free in the sense I don't pay for them, but ofc those 350-ish jades could have been sold for a nice sum as well (~70,000g). And going over all the loot, it has a value of around 180,000g.

At any rate, it's FUN to try deep dives like this. The floors are nowhere near as ridiculously purple as for that Godzilla bloke at floor 2000 or whatever, but still very cool when you see 10+ nodes within visual range :heart:🤓

Should perhaps have taken some of the probably 20+ treasure rooms, but since the "pros" stair past them, figured I'd give it a shot as well.

Elenna101

Farmer
Usually I get enough or at least nearly enough iron from Skull Caverns to make up for the ammo I've used, so I just have to buy coal. It does require prioritizing breaking iron nodes at least a little - looks like you don't quite have enough iron, but still, converting your iron to bombs would make up for a decent chunk of that cost. (Remember you can buy coal from Clint - 250g for a coal is a lot less than 600g for a bomb.)
Plus if you can kill serpents and iridium bats reasonably quickly (and maybe kill mummies if you were planning on bombing that area anyways), keeping the void and solar essences lets you craft quite a few megas. Iridium bats have a chance of dropping batteries, too. Of course that eats into the gold for crystalariums as well.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Have you explored explosive ammo?
Usually I get enough or at least nearly enough iron from Skull Caverns to make up for the ammo I've used, so I just have to buy coal. It does require prioritizing breaking iron nodes at least a little - looks like you don't quite have enough iron, but still, converting your iron to bombs would make up for a decent chunk of that cost. (Remember you can buy coal from Clint - 250g for a coal is a lot less than 600g for a bomb.)
Plus if you can kill serpents and iridium bats reasonably quickly (and maybe kill mummies if you were planning on bombing that area anyways), keeping the void and solar essences lets you craft quite a few megas. Iridium bats have a chance of dropping batteries, too. Of course that eats into the gold for crystalariums as well.
Haven't used it yet, but have been thinking about it. Was shocked when I saw it cost 300g per item. Good point about buying more coal from Clint's tho. The recipe needing two coal has held me off, but did some math yesterday actually, and it's better to make these items yourself than buying it. It's just that then you run into a resource issue sooner or later. For now I'm rather good on iron, however, it's gold that is the huge pinch. One pretty good haul to SC only allows to craft 10 crystalariums. Without farming it's much more difficult to scale things up. You see the funds above. However, once all that iridium is converted to bars, they can be sold for 367,500g. As with everything else in the game, time is the biggest limiter.

Slingshots and explosive ammo is something I ought to try out, though, so am thinking about a test run of sorts with stone in the regular mine, just to try to get a feel for how it would work. The aiming is awkward.
PS: These are my ores for the time being. Bought a full stack of coal from Clint in year 1, before the price hike, so am still living off that (having stopped making copper and iron bars to preserve coal)
SDV ores.png

Pangaearocks

Planter
Trying the pause buffering again. How are people like @FilthyGorilla able to pull off ~70 floors per 10-minute tick?! Do you have any tips that haven't been mentioned yet?

Doesn't feel like I'm bad at it, I'm pausing pretty quickly, and clicking both mouse buttons when placing stairs (to go down instantly), but can only pull off maybe 30 floors per 'tick'. This run I got to the cavern entrance at 06:20 (not sure how 'deep in the tick'), and at 07:00 (start of tick) I'm at floor 114. Managed 29 floors from 06:30 to 06:40. While in-game it seems to be pretty much instant to my eyes, but one problem is when your cursor is over a tile you can't place a stairs on (rock or wall). A few times the pausing fails and I end up spending half a second. For the most part I can pick up the red stairs during the initial pausing, but not always. Still, maybe going three times as fast as I'm able to seems otherworldly. How do you do it?
Screenshot from 2022-08-13 07-52-53.png
Can't wait to get to Ginger Island and be able to forge rings. Really hope to get another Lucky ring, and then would like to try out 2x Lucky Ring+Iridium Band. I imagine the "suck range" (😂) will help a lot. Don't fight enough enemies (ideally) for the Burglar's ring to be worth it (but I like to use it in the regular mines, hello dust sprites), and with few enemies killed, much of the same goes for the Napalm ring.

(PS: This is embarrassing, but I just found out you can change tools/etc while paused. Before, I tried to e.g. unpause-select bomb-pause quickly to save a little time 😊)

Btw: exactly how long does a magic rock candy last in the Caverns, in terms of in-game hours?

The haul
It ended up going okay, but actually ran out of stairs despite taking with 400+. There are simply a lot of floors that are pretty crap :-/

Bad ending, though. Harvey had harsh words... Must have lost health really quickly at the end when I was trying to get the last juice out of time left. Those bats are nasty.

Horrendous shard count, though, compared with the ore. 140 ore per shard is terrible. Early on had only 1 shard after 350 ores. Nuts. Thankfully didn't lose anything important due to dying. If that whole stack of ore had gone, would have had to redo the day, which would have sucked big time.

Screenshot from 2022-08-13 09-02-43.png

Almost the best thing about it is that I got another Lucky Ring!! It actually dropped from a totally normal serpent. Couldn't believe my eyes.

I have grossly underestimated the amount of stairs needed, though. Figured going down to floor 150-200 would suffice, and then roam around, but at least 90% of floors are bad. Not sure exactly how deep this was as it was too hectic at the end, but it was over floor 500. Maybe 520-ish. Shards aside, that's a nice haul for not using magic rock candy 🤓

Last edited:

Ilune

Planter
This looks like it could be a fun topic 😀👍

I don't know what it is with bombs, but I am extremely shy about using them. Perhaps it's a subconscious self-imposed challenge. I only tend to use them to kill mummies, but only if I can get them in groups of 3 or more. The most I've ever used in a single Skull Cavern run is about 20 or so.

Also, I'm in the midst of a 21-days-in-invaded-Skull-Caverns stretch -- yes, that's with accepting 3 consecutive Qi Quests of Skull Cavern invasion back-to-back-to-back -- with the purpose of grinding for Radioactive Ore and Qi Gems. It kind of has a "Naked and Afraid" feel to it and I've needed plenty of food to stay alive, even with a Vampiric Infinity Blade and the Slime Charmer Ring. I've gotten around 200 Radioactive Ore so far after 14 consecutive days in Invaded Skull Caverns -- those nodes are quite rare!
if you need radioactive ore, isn't better turn off the switch on the bottom of the mines and search for rad.ore here? every 5 floors there is the elevator and monsters are less dangerous.