Should I write a Stardew Fanfic?

Tom

Farmer
As a singer, I am deeply affected by a phrase I once heard: "Make good art!" I'm also affected by the example of Uncle "W", George W. Bush, who took up painting (to atone for the sins of the presidency?). It's not always about "performing". It's not always about practicing. It's not always about technical excellence. Sometimes it's just about the joy of making good art.

"Don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear. Just sing! Sing a song!"

As a singer, I am deeply affected by a phrase I once heard: "Make good art!" I'm also affected by the example of Uncle "W", George W. Bush, who took up painting (to atone for the sins of the presidency?). It's not always about "performing". It's not always about practicing. It's not always about technical excellence. Sometimes it's just about the joy of making good art.
Then I will go "enjoy making good art!" Thanks for the tip Tom! I will do my best to enjoy working on it.

Reactions: Tom

Planter
I've been writing a fanfic since this summer (currently at 16k+ words), but I'm a very finicky writer, and very slow and unmotivated as well, so I'm waiting until the whole thing has been written and proof-read (and translated) before publishing anything. This way I wont write myself in a corner or feel pressurised to release a new chapter. Since I'm basically pouring my heart and soul in this fic, I want it to be my best storytelling. I'm having fun writing this anyways, so if it takes months, so be it. I'll certainly be happy when it's done though :smile:

I have been writing a fanfic on another website years ago in a episodical way, but it didn't have any real weaving or foreseeable ending, and stopped when I got bored. My current SDV fanfic has a clear synopsis and I know exactly where I'm going, so I made the choie of writing it all at once, as a book (it's still chapter based though). It's all up to you to choose your own way, and fanfics are indeed an excellent way of training your creative writing skills. Since you are using preexisting material, it reduces the amount of world-building and really allows you to concentrate on the writing itself.

In any case, good luck :stardrop:

I've been writing a fanfic since this summer (currently at 16k+ words), but I'm a very finicky writer, and very slow and unmotivated as well, so I'm waiting until the whole thing has been written and proof-read (and translated) before publishing anything. This way I wont write myself in a corner or feel pressurised to release a new chapter. Since I'm basically pouring my heart and soul in this fic, I want it to be my best storytelling. I'm having fun writing this anyways, so if it takes months, so be it. I'll certainly be happy when it's done though :smile:

I have been writing a fanfic on another website years ago in a episodical way, but it didn't have any real weaving or foreseeable ending, and stopped when I got bored. My current SDV fanfic has a clear synopsis and I know exactly where I'm going, so I made the choie of writing it all at once, as a book (it's still chapter based though). It's all up to you to choose your own way, and fanfics are indeed an excellent way of training your creative writing skills. Since you are using preexisting material, it reduces the amount of world-building and really allows you to concentrate on the writing itself.

In any case, good luck :stardrop:
Well, thank you for the encouraging words. I can attest to what you said on the difficulty of writing while world building. It slowed me down significantly while I was writing my original book. I'll probably start writing tomorrow or the next day if all goes well. I probably won't post the first chapter until sometime next week though, if I post it in immediate-ish future. Hope you had a nice Christmas!

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Go for it! If you need breaks (no matter how long), or even if you’re not able to finish it, that’s okay too! It’s just good practice to write whenever muse and inspiration hits. ^^ I’ve been working on my own novel series for over a few years now (still only on the first book), and while at times I question dropping it, I eventually returned to it.

On a personal level, I find writing to be a nice escape from reality at times, especially when things are rough and bad. It’s also just something fun to do as well.

I know there are suggestions out on the web that mention about writing even just a sentence one a day, or forcing yourself to do so, but I don’t entirely agree with that. Not everyone can operate that way, and for some it can be more stressful and even destroy motivation. However, that’s not to say that that method won’t work either. It comes down to the person and their preference. ^^

Go for it! If you need breaks (no matter how long), or even if you’re not able to finish it, that’s okay too! It’s just good practice to write whenever muse and inspiration hits. ^^ I’ve been working on my own novel series for over a few years now (still only on the first book), and while at times I question dropping it, I eventually returned to it.

On a personal level, I find writing to be a nice escape from reality at times, especially when things are rough and bad. It’s also just something fun to do as well.

I know there are suggestions out on the web that mention about writing even just a sentence one a day, or forcing yourself to do so, but I don’t entirely agree with that. Not everyone can operate that way, and for some it can be more stressful and even destroy motivation. However, that’s not to say that that method won’t work either. It comes down to the person and their preference. ^^
Yeah, my big worry is consistency at this point. I got school, my family (7 siblings, ages 3 months to 13, (I'm 15) so I got that going for me) along with my other obligations, so posts of a chapter may be spotty. Then again, I could be completely wrong and I'll be able to get one done every week or so. Either way, I plan to do something. Thanks for the encouragement, Toxic!

P.S I think your nickname is funny because you are anything but toxic XD I hope you have a great night\evening\day!

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Yeah, my big worry is consistency at this point. I got school, my family (7 siblings, ages 3 months to 13, (I'm 15) so I got that going for me) along with my other obligations, so posts of a chapter may be spotty. Then again, I could be completely wrong and I'll be able to get one done every week or so. Either way, I plan to do something. Thanks for the encouragement, Toxic!

P.S I think your nickname is funny because you are anything but toxic XD I hope you have a great night\evening\day!
Oh wow! That’s a lot of siblings. And here I thought my four brothers and sisters was a lot lol.

I’m sure it might be a mixture of both, where there will be times where you’re not able to work on it, while simultaneously you’ll have times where you are able to. ^^ If you have a smartphone, and are able to, I recommend downloading Google.docs. It can be beneficial for if a muse hits, and you’re not near your pc/lack something to write with, you can just open the app up, quickly type out the idea (even if vague), just so that’s put down somewhere, in case you forget what the idea was later on.

Awe! Thank you. When I read that, it made me smile. ^^ I can get overly paranoid at times, and do sometimes worry if I’m somehow being toxic to someone, which is not my intent.

Oh wow! That’s a lot of siblings. And here I thought my four brothers and sisters was a lot lol.

I’m sure it might be a mixture of both, where there will be times where you’re not able to work on it, while simultaneously you’ll have times where you are able to. ^^ If you have a smartphone, and are able to, I recommend downloading Google.docs. It can be beneficial for if a muse hits, and you’re not near your pc/lack something to write with, you can just open the app up, quickly type out the idea (even if vague), just so that’s put down somewhere, in case you forget what the idea was later on.

Awe! Thank you. When I read that, it made me smile. ^^ I can get overly paranoid at times, and do sometimes worry if I’m somehow being toxic to someone, which is not my intent.
I actually have used google docs and nothing else my entire life, lol. It's just so dependable! I'm glad that you feel comfortable here, and yeah, that definitely is a lot of siblings. (in case you were wondering, they are all just from my parents, meaning no adoptions, divorces, etc) I hope that you have a wonderful day!

Ellajoy

Rancher
I know there are a few people here (@Dr eeL, @Lunaria Tsukano, @Lew Zealand, @Magically Clueless, and a couple of others) who write fanfics and I was wondering if any of you guys think I could add something to the genre here. I feel like maybe I could but I just don't know if I should. Let me know what you guys think. If I do decide to write something, I can't promise any kind of regularity when posting and I don't know when the first chapter would come out (Optimistically, sometime in January, I hope.) Please give me some honest answers here. I'm a relative noob with book-writing, I started one a while back, but it's totally on the back burner now. I know how to write and I'm good grammatically and composition-wise (I think) I also believe that I could come up with a decent storyline. So, once again, just tell me what you think!
I think you should do it!
I like making stories in my head using books, movies, and video games.
I would love to read your fanfic.

Ellajoy

Rancher
Anyone can write. Anyone should write. The problem is where, when, and what to write. I'd say anyone who likes Stardew and has a story in mind should write fan fiction if they want to. But I wouldn't necessarily tell the same person to go out and write a novel and sell it on Amazon. That's entirely different, and the reason the world gets so many poor quality literature published non-stop 24/7 is probably because people will just go out blindly and write a clique college vampire story and call it original. But there's not as much to lose with fan fiction. Just keep it clean and do something at least a little original. Fanfic tends to break both those rules constantly. That's why it's broken my soul
Love what you said, also love your signature.

Ellajoy

Rancher
I actually have used google docs and nothing else my entire life, lol. It's just so dependable! I'm glad that you feel comfortable here, and yeah, that definitely is a lot of siblings. (in case you were wondering, they are all just from my parents, meaning no adoptions, divorces, etc) I hope that you have a wonderful day!
I use Google docs WAY to much.
For everything and I mean EVERYTHING.
Also that's a lot of siblings I just have three sisters.
Two older, one younger, I'll give you a quick description of each of them.
Rebecca: the oldest. Twins with Alexa. Less annoying than Alexa. Most of the time anyways. She also plays SV and quite enjoys it. Is 14.
Alexa: two minutes younger than Rebecca. Doesn't play SV much. Is also 14.
Moriah: the youngest. Is 8. Loves anything with dragons.
I am the tallest!
Can you guess my age?

Lew Zealand

Helper
I use Google docs WAY to much.
For everything and I mean EVERYTHING.
Also that's a lot of siblings I just have three sisters.
Two older, one younger, I'll give you a quick description of each of them.
Rebecca: the oldest. Twins with Alexa. Less annoying than Alexa. Most of the time anyways. She also plays SV and quite enjoys it. Is 14.
Alexa: two minutes younger than Rebecca. Doesn't play SV much. Is also 14.
Moriah: the youngest. Is 8. Loves anything with dragons.
I am the tallest!
Can you guess my age?