Should I write a Stardew Fanfic?

I know there are a few people here (@Dr eeL, @Lunaria Tsukano, @Lew Zealand, @Magically Clueless, and a couple of others) who write fanfics and I was wondering if any of you guys think I could add something to the genre here. I feel like maybe I could but I just don't know if I should. Let me know what you guys think. If I do decide to write something, I can't promise any kind of regularity when posting and I don't know when the first chapter would come out (Optimistically, sometime in January, I hope.) Please give me some honest answers here. I'm a relative noob with book-writing, I started one a while back, but it's totally on the back burner now. I know how to write and I'm good grammatically and composition-wise (I think) I also believe that I could come up with a decent storyline. So, once again, just tell me what you think!

If it's something you want to do, you should do it! Fanfics are all about fun and just writing what you would like to see
Honestly, absolutely no offense to the genre of fanfics, I would be using this mainly as practice for a future original book. I think that it could give me some valuable experience in writing and I think I could make something decent, so I will probably give it a fair shake.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Haha, fanfics are many genres and many are extremely well-written or go on to be published books in their own right. It's just that the gate for entry is very low-- anyone can post fanfics online and they will already have an audience of people who read that kind of thing. Really, anyone can write anything, but getting that kind of audience that a fanfic has is very hard to get. Try not to underestimate them!

Dr. eeL

Farmer
I encouraged one of my favorite readers Boo1972 to write one, and I'll say the same for you. Even though the subject matter is the same, no two people share the same insights. I have said this before, but most visitors to this web site are players, not readers, so there is no relationship between your skill as a writer and the number of hits you receive. I actually get very excited when the inspiration for a new chapter hits me. I sit down, punch it out, and laugh at all my so-called jokes just to make sure that they are funny. If you write a story, I will be sure to read it.

I encouraged one of my favorite readers Boo1972 to write one, and I'll say the same for you. Even though the subject matter is the same, no two people share the same insights. I have said this before, but most visitors to this web site are players, not readers, so there is no relationship between your skill as a writer and the number of hits you receive. I actually get very excited when the inspiration for a new chapter hits me. I sit down, punch it out, and laugh at all my so-called jokes just to make sure that they are funny. If you write a story, I will be sure to read it.
Well, thank you. It makes me feel like it's worth a try at least. Don't hold your breath though. If I get swamped with school again, there is a good chance that I won't be posting any chapters. I will definitely do my best to get one posted soon though. If I feel motivated enough then there is actually a chance that you'll see something in a couple of days to a week. If I feel REALLY motivated you might see something today or tomorrow (very unlikely though)

Haha, fanfics are many genres and many are extremely well-written or go on to be published books in their own right. It's just that the gate for entry is very low-- anyone can post fanfics online and they will already have an audience of people who read that kind of thing. Really, anyone can write anything, but getting that kind of audience that a fanfic has is very hard to get. Try not to underestimate them!
I absolutely do not underestimate them. I just have an idea in my head for a book that I want to write, but I feel like more experience would do me well. I started it a while back as I said, (10k-ish words) and it's on the WAY back burner now. So I figure that I can at least try to improve my writing skills by the time I can get back to it.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Just do it.

Fanfic is great practice and all you need is a keyboard and a place to post, like here! Doesn’t matter if you use it as a stepping stone to something more serious or whether this is as far as you go, just have fun doing it.

Funny thing is, Señor Eagle: in another thread you mentioned this Forum as an escape from YouTube and in fact writing SDV stuff is my escape from that same place. Luckily I’m such a bad writer that each one takes me 3-10 hours so that’s a lot of streaming bits I’m saving! Ms. Eco friendly…

FYI I’d never written anything before starting here and was inspired to do so by a prompt about Shane in a random post here (I can’t find it!). I enjoyed (and was simultaneously terrified) by the process as previously my head was devoid of any creativity, having been quite a notable failure in English classes. All of them. If this doesn’t prove that absolutely *anyone* can write then I’ll ask your brother to eat his hat!

Just do it.

Fanfic is a great practice and all you need is a keyboard and a place to post, like here! Doesn’t matter if you use it as a stepping stone to something more serious or whether this is as far as you go, just have fun doing it.

Funny thing is, Señor Eagle: in another thread you mentioned this Forum as an escape from YouTube and in fact writing SDV stuff is my escape from that same place. Luckily I’m such a bad writer that each one takes me 3-10 hours so that’s a lot of streaming bits I’m saving! Ms. Eco friendly…

FYI I’d never written anything before starting here and was inspired to do so by a prompt about Shane in a random post here (I can’t find it!). I enjoyed (and was simultaneously terrified) by the process as previously my head was devoid of any creativity, having been quite a notable failure in English classes. All of them. If this doesn’t prove that absolutely *anyone* can write then I’ll ask your brother to eat his hat!
It sounds like I'm doing it then!

Anyone can write. Anyone should write. The problem is where, when, and what to write. I'd say anyone who likes Stardew and has a story in mind should write fan fiction if they want to. But I wouldn't necessarily tell the same person to go out and write a novel and sell it on Amazon. That's entirely different, and the reason the world gets so many poor quality literature published non-stop 24/7 is probably because people will just go out blindly and write a clique college vampire story and call it original. But there's not as much to lose with fan fiction. Just keep it clean and do something at least a little original. Fanfic tends to break both those rules constantly. That's why it's broken my soul

NextPaige

Planter
You should definitely write one! As long as the grammar is good and the story line only at least somewhat intriguing, I can’t really complain! (I don’t know if what I said makes as much sense on paper as it did in my head.)