Should i begin a perfection playthough now?

Totodex

Newcomer
Hello!

I've been a bit conflicted as of late, its been a few years sense I last touched the game.
I've really wanted to sit down and properly do a 100% playthrough. The main issue right now thats kept me from starting is simply just a few factors. I like to play with a few different mods, And the last two playthroughs ive done, I coincidently started playing within a week of major updates of stardew That broke all mods and stopped my playthrough until mods got updated. Given that this has happened to me twice now, when i was originally considering starting a new playthough, it was September of last year. and before i did, i saw a lot of teased stuff for 1.6 with everything i found, it almost seemed as if it could come out with a few months, especially with the limited information mentioning crunch periods and the sorts (which from my own game dev experience usually means nearing the end of a development cycle). So i held off on starting a playthough to prevent the same thing happening again where a major update breaks mods soon after i begin a playthrough.

Given 1.6 was said to have a lot of changes to frameworks that would be guaranteed to break mods and needed mods to be ported to the new framework kind of only escalated this paranoia for me. especially sense I know for a fact I will need to find replacement mods, or go without certain things after 1.6 given a few mods I use are depreciated (though still work in current version.) This fact also kinda made me more paranoid as it meant that whenever the update actually released, i'd likely have to wait months more for mods to be ported and updated.

So in October I made the decision to wait. assuming it would likely be within the first quarter of 2024, maybe even as early as December. but now given that ive waited 4 months under this pretense, and given i'm horrid at finding information, im starting to doubt if my assumption that it was nearly end of development cycle was actually the case. I'm starting to realize That I may very well be waiting for something thats still many months if not a year away.

So I'd thought I'd ask here, given i feel the people here likely have a better grasp at the general timing of things than I Do.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Well all modders have gotten betas of the update and are updating already, unless you play with some super niche mods or ones that haven’t been updated to 1.5 there is a very very good chance for them to be updated basically as the update releases.

I wouldn’t start aperfection save though as I’d wait to try to new farm map. It’s always nicer to experience stuff in its proper place in progression.

I would start a game and just try to explore around and get back into the hang of playing.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I think it would be fine to start a vanilla game now, but I do think 1.6 isn't too far off from coming out (unless something major happens during development, you never know). 1.6 is adding a lot of stuff so I would recommend vanilla anyway, but plenty of people are waiting for mods so it's up to you

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Well all modders have gotten betas of the update and are updating already, unless you play with some super niche mods or ones that haven’t been updated to 1.5 there is a very very good chance for them to be updated basically as the update releases.
There's a no-content alpha available in the discord right now and of course any modder is welcome to join to prepare, but no matter what, 1.6 is going to break a ton of mods and modders will have to make a lot of changes. There may be modders in a beta but that doesn't really guarantee their mods will be ready and the beta wouldn't be for modders to begin with (it's, of course, to test the content of the game)

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
There's a no-content alpha available in the discord right now and of course any modder is welcome to join to prepare, but no matter what, 1.6 is going to break a ton of mods and modders will have to make a lot of changes. There may be modders in a beta but that doesn't really guarantee their mods will be ready and the beta wouldn't be for modders to begin with (it's, of course, to test the content of the game)
Ah, bit of a shame but sounds good, at least they’ll have a bit of a head start on adapting their mods.

ArtifactSpot

I wouldn’t set out trying for a perfection file at all if you are playing for the first time in a long while. The grind will turn you off the game faster than the last reason you put the game on the shelf for a time. Play for fun. If perfection happens later by accident, or your super close later and wish THEN to try, then great, but don’t set out for it. Build up the skills you enjoy, save the rest for last. If you love mining, play in the mines as much as you want. If you prefer fishing, then fish for fun. Farm for only for income needs, unless that is your passion. If it is build the farm of your dreams and put the other things on the back burner for now. If you just like socializing or just want to have a spouse and family then do that. Some people even just decorate for fun and ignore all else. Again, play for fun, or you will burn out quickly and put the game back up on the shelf for the same reasons you did before. Fun is key. Fun!

Rhiannon

Farmer
I wouldn’t set out trying for a perfection file at all if you are playing for the first time in a long while. The grind will turn you off the game faster than the last reason you put the game on the shelf for a time. Play for fun. If perfection happens later by accident, or your super close later and wish THEN to try, then great, but don’t set out for it. Build up the skills you enjoy, save the rest for last. If you love mining, play in the mines as much as you want. If you prefer fishing, then fish for fun. Farm for only for income needs, unless that is your passion. If it is build the farm of your dreams and put the other things on the back burner for now. If you just like socializing or just want to have a spouse and family then do that. Some people even just decorate for fun and ignore all else. Again, play for fun, or you will burn out quickly and put the game back up on the shelf for the same reasons you did before. Fun is key. Fun!
This is KIND of what I'm doing for my YT channel. I love setting goals. My final goal is perfection. I'm hitting my other goals along the way and doing the things I enjoy. My only concern is that perfection will change, i.e. MORE stuff we have to accomplish. I'm many game years away from current perfection. If more stuff gets added to the perfection list, oh well. I'll get there eventually. I'm having a great time sharing this amazing game with my peeps. Hopefully it will result in some more money for Concerned Ape. He deserves every dime.

I wouldn’t set out trying for a perfection file at all if you are playing for the first time in a long while. The grind will turn you off the game faster than the last reason you put the game on the shelf for a time. Play for fun.
This is KIND of what I'm doing for my YT channel. I love setting goals. My final goal is perfection. I'm hitting my other goals along the way and doing the things I enjoy.
This is an interesting topic. I think there are different types of people. I, for example, get bored the quickest when I don't have a goal. I always need a goal, for everything, even irl. In SDV, it can be perfection, but also the perfect garden (sic!) or some other challenge. Playing just for fun makes me antsy.

Rhiannon

Farmer
This is an interesting topic. I think there are different types of people. I, for example, get bored the quickest when I don't have a goal. I always need a goal, for everything, even irl. In SDV, it can be perfection, but also the perfect garden (sic!) or some other challenge. Playing just for fun makes me antsy.
I have mini-goals I set along the way. I had lots of little goals to start like get a barn, coop, silo, a cow, chicken. Then making it to the bottom of the mine. The community center obviously. Another big goal was to become self-sufficient. TO ME that means I don't have to buy seeds from Pierre's any longer. I make my own seeds. Hopefully soon I can purchase the return scepter and then the obelisks. Expanding my sheds to be larger and add more kegs and preserve makers. And then eventually 100% perfection. The smaller goals along the way help me stay focused and gives a sense of accomplishment.

Totodex

Newcomer
Welp. apparently Im not breaking my curse yet, maybe i should start playthroughs more often. according to the data, that would mean the game would get more frequent updates lmao.

Seriously, this is happened to me on the last 4 major updates, and it keeps happening lmao.

Cant believe my post questioning the superstition and asking for advice was exactly 1 month off of the prophecy though.