Switch Server Crash when joining Online game

Zubmarine

Greenhorn
Switch System ver 16.1.0
Stardew Valley Software ver. 1.5.4.2

I recently started a co-op farm with my wife on the Nintendo Switch version of the game, and we had initially been using the local connection option to play. However, the connection would consistently drop so we made the jump to using online connection instead. When we started doing this, it was fairly smooth - but after playing for a few days, there is almost always what seems to be a server crash when one client attempts to connect to another. My save file is the host farm, and when I start an online game everything launches just fine. When my wife selects the farm, it does not retrieve her character information, and then I encounter a connection error and am booted back to the main screen. My only guess is that trying to join a host is causing a server crash of some kind. This issue has about a 9/10 reproduction rate - it's rare that we start the game and don't encounter this bug.

WORKAROUND: This doesn't always work, but I occasionally am able to avoid the server crash by going into my game, manually switching the Multiplayer type from "Friends-Only" to "Offline", closing my menu, and then closing and relaunching the client. Then, my wife is able to see her character after selecting her farm and can actually join my game. This works about 3/5ths of the time, so it's not a super reliable workaround.

It's been pretty frustrating as my wife and I have been having a great time playing together - it's one of our favorite games and we want to be able to invest more time into it without having to wrestle with the connection issues. I also want to add that I have tested rebooting my router on several occasions to no effect - I have experience doing QA and I wanted to make sure and rule that out before being "the boy who cried server crash." I hope the team will be able to look into it!