Screenshot date stamps and a photo mode

mare

Sodbuster
I have a small quality-of-life suggestion for the in-game screenshot feature.

When using the screenshot option in the settings, we can take beautiful screenshots of the entire farm or even the whole town without the UI. I really love this feature, but after taking many screenshots over several in-game years, it can be difficult to remember when each screenshot was taken.

It would be wonderful if the screenshot could optionally include a small date stamp in a corner, for example:

Year 4 · Spring 18

Including the time would also be nice, but the in-game date alone would already be very helpful.

I think this would be especially useful for players who like to keep screenshots as a visual record of how their farm changes over the years. It would be like having a little photo album of your Stardew Valley life.

Ideally, there could be an option to turn the date stamp on or off:

・Off: a completely clean screenshot, as it is now
・On: a small, unobtrusive in-game date (and optionally time) in a corner

That way, players who want clean screenshots could still have them.

And this made me think of another idea: a dedicated photo mode!

It could be fun to take photos together with NPCs in different locations. For example, you could ask an NPC to pose with you and take a screenshot together — basically an in-game “we’re best friends now” photo.

Haley already has a camera, so I think it would fit the world really well!
It could also be expanded to include:

・Photos with NPCs in different locations
・Family photos with your spouse and children
・Photos with your pets
・Group photos with friends
・Different poses or expressions
・A way to keep these photos as an in-game photo album

I think it would be really cute to be able to look back through an album and see how your farm, family, pets, and friendships changed over the years.

Even just adding an optional Year / Season / Day stamp to the existing screenshot feature would make me very happy.
 
Last edited:
The game date stamp could alternatively/also be in the metadata of the picture-file as description.
This way, every (modern) picture viewer can show it and it's not necessarily in the picture itself. Also tools can use it to rename the file etc. (what's not possible when it is in the picture).
Just my technical thoughts about it.
 

mare

Sodbuster
What I was hoping for was not a change to the metadata, but something more like looking back through a school photo album and feeling nostalgic about what was happening at that time.

When I take a lot of screenshots, manually adding or changing metadata for each one would be quite time-consuming.

What I want to preserve is not the real-world date and time, but the in-game date as part of the memory of that moment.
 
Top