School

Golden

Planter
Anybody here just hate school. I do for one. i know its super necessary and all but I have a severe anxiety disorder so school is sooooo hard and boring. (I do plan to finish high school and go to college because life is just so much easier with knowledge. right?

I am fine with school. The things I don't like about it, is just when I have bully classmates or teachers that don't care about their students (the last part is the most annoying and unenjoyable part). Other than that I enjoy it. Sometimes I do miss the feeling of learning something together.

Anhaga

Rancher
I do plan to finish high school and go to college because life is just so much easier with knowledge. right?
Okay, I'm going to give some unsolicited advice from someone who's closer to sending her kids to college than she is to her own college years, but: don't go to college just because you think that's the only way to get a good job. Especially if you're in the US, going to college just because is only going to end in debt. Definitely finish high school--having that GED is super-important--but don't go on to college, especially a 4-year college (and NOTNOTNOT a for-profit!!!), just because. I taught at an associate's and bachelor's granting for-profit institution, and the people who were talking classes just because they'd been told it was the only way to get a decent job had a terrible time. It's better to get a job, even a not-great one, or take trade-focused courses at a tech school or community college than it is to try and get a bachelor's degree when you don't know that you really want to do that. This is the same thing I tell my own kids. We need more people in the trades; there are some really good jobs out there if you get training in trades.

Oh, and funny little thing to add on . . . the job I'm in now, that I really love, has nothing to do with what I got my college and graduate degrees in. I currently do a specialized type of web development, but my degrees were in English lit. :laugh:
That's also the thing that happen to most people I know here. Your work is not even close or related with what you learn in college.

Anhaga

Rancher
The only reason that I go to school is I don't have any better activities. Learning is cool, expected to be "successful" isn't.
If you figure out how to love learning, life is a heck of a lot better! Challenges of the "I don't know how to do that" variety can become pretty awesome opportunities. :smile:

Xristos

Tiller
Anyone here who likes school hasn't seen the hardest, MOST STUPID AND FURSTRATING SUBJECT OF ALL, ancient Greek.... Everything else besides that thing is ok..

I also disliked school/high school (in part because I got bullied).

I wasn't so good, but after a lot of efforts I finally finished it and gone to university (I'll talk about it later).

I know it could look counter productive but I redone my first year of High school, and my student life become better. First, my bullies wasn't in my level anymore so they stopped annoying me (almost), second because the courses became reviews, so it was way easier to follow in class. Also, there was a new effect of being "the older one" of the class that helped a lot at beginning to make friends.

After High School, I gone to university to do something I really like (For information, I paid 7500€ each year, and this university is only for my job domain). It was a very great experience. Everybody here had same passion as me, so it was easy to make friends. The university courses was what I liked, so it was not too hard for me to learn and progress, and today I do the job I want to do.

However, some of my schoolmates was in that university because "they had to...". Most of them didn't finish the cursus and just lost their money. This means debt, lost time, and hard time to find a job that is finally not what they expected.

I cannot advice you to go to university just because "it is the way to find a good job". The best job is not the job that pays the most, but the job you like to do. Maybe you'll not have a great salary, but if you do what you like, it probably doesn't matter that much. Would you really want to wake up every morning to do something you hate ?

Last edited: