Scarecrows are not worth it

Haseo

Cowpoke
I was looking at the Wiki for crows and realized that scarecrows aren't worth it at a certain point. According to the Wiki "For every 16 crops (rounded down), a crow may try to eat a crop. This is maxed at 4 crows. Each crow has a 30% chance of attempting to eat." So that means that if you have 64 or more crops then you should lose, on average 1.2 crops a night. This number does not change though if you have 64 or 3000+ crops. Its kind of an edge case, but if your the kind of player that fills their entire field with crops then I think its actually better to not use scarecrows.
My ancient fruit cannot afford crow infestation! They are too precious. 😂

Reactions: Tom

imnvs

Local Legend
The issue I find with this assessment is that the entire line of logic assumes that putting down a scarecrow is taking space that you would otherwise have utilized for a crop.

Now tell me, honestly, is 100% of the tillable space on your farm used for crops? If not, you still have space for scarecrows.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Not even 5% of the tillable space on my farm is used for crops, it's all spelled out in my Lazy™ contract. The rest is left to Grass, Trees, Giant Mushrooms, Obelisks, and gold statues of random villagers. I started with Lewis.

There is the pesky matter of clearing the desiccated husks of yet-to-be undead crows from the farm on occasion, but that's small matter for Penny to handle those mornings she feels inspired to "water" the crops and "feed" the animals. She looks rather unlike a Sprinkler or AutoGrabber so, between you 'n me, I know the lingo. That's just cover for clearing out the less desirable resources occasionally found on the farm.

It also explains the occasional talon in my evening 'Fried Eel' or 'Crispy Bass'.

Cptldsilver

Planter
The issue I find with this assessment is that the entire line of logic assumes that putting down a scarecrow is taking space that you would otherwise have utilized for a crop.

Now tell me, honestly, is 100% of the tillable space on your farm used for crops? If not, you still have space for scarecrows.
If I'm playing min max then yes, every single tile. My first attempt it took me till fall but now i'm confident I can fill it by summer 1 year 1.