Rotate buildings

Magenta

Greenhorn
Hi! I've been playing SV now for a while, and one of the most important aspects for me is the decoration and distribution of the farm. This is why I would like to suggest the possibility of rotating some buildings, such as the barns, coops and sheds. This way we can optimize, according to everyone's personal likes, the distribution of some spaces.
I'm attaching a screenshot of what I would like to rotate as an example. These barn and coop (inside the green circle) would look way better facing west, and animals would go out easily to eat and play :heart:.
Lot's of love from Magenta :iristar:

Attachments

imnvs

Local Legend
Yeah, the issue (as @1FlyCat pointed out) of doors could be a real problem, though it is far from the only one. There's the added difficulty that these objects have no pixel-art for their facing any other direction than forward.

Back to the doors, though, if the building were turned, how would you know where to approach the building to get in? How would you approach the building to open or close the door for the animals? I am a proponent of closing up your barns and coops every night so that petting the animals the next day is made that much easier by having them all contained. (Chasing them through the grass is a fool's game, imho.) How would I be able to tell if that door is closed when it is turned away from me?

And sadly, I think these issues that 1FlyCat touched on and I elaborated on... it really is an issue with the perspective of the game. We can't rotate. We're not looking from an angle that allows us to see multiple sides of buildings. That limiter is what's really going to prevent us from realizing this one, if anything does.

Now, don't get me wrong. I wish we could easily rotate buildings. I have to get creative when organizing my farm in order to ensure that I can see what I'm doing and still fit everything in. If buildings could go long ways north to south, in a lot of cases, that would make my job super simple. I would love it! I'm still not sure we can get over the game's perspective limitations, though, without a serious overhaul to how we look at things.

1FlyCat

Planter
Back to the doors, though, if the building were turned, how would you know where to approach the building to get in?
About the only way to accomplish this would be to have the building become semi-transparent on approach.

There's the added difficulty that these objects have no pixel-art for their facing any other direction than forward.
Yes, that would be an additional limiting factor.

I am a proponent of closing up your barns and coops every night so that petting the animals the next day is made that much easier by having them all contained. (Chasing them through the grass is a fool's game, imho.)
Smart.

imnvs

Local Legend
About the only way to accomplish this would be to have the building become semi-transparent on approach.
Except if the doors were facing East or West. Those walls travelling N/S are straight lines. When a building goes semi-transparent, we can see the backside partially... but those walls running N/S are basically just lines to us.

Magenta

Greenhorn
Yep, you're all totally right, and to be honest I didn't give it further thoughts to the doors (my bad). But, while reading your comments, I think maybe the possibility of having two models of each building could be an easier option (the current ones and a new one in which we have doors always facing south, but with the access in the smaller side of it).

1FlyCat

Planter
Apart from the need for additional artwork, you can see from the attached images how doors for rotated buildings could theoretically work.

When the farmer approaches the building from the north or west, the doors would be visible and the building would become transparent.

Attachments

Melanie Werner

Newcomer
Apart from the need for additional artwork, you can see from the attached images how doors for rotated buildings could theoretically work.

When the farmer approaches the building from the north or west, the doors would be visible and the building would become transparent.
alternatively we could have colored tiles in front of the doors with either letters or pictures on them

Quirinea

Farmer
If not rotate, but having left and right versions would be a good idea? To have the door in either left or right corner (and the animal door beside it) at least for the coop which has the pen area on the right). In my current run, I have the barn partially in front of the coop. I can do that only so that the barn is on the right (or have a narrow lane between them, of course)